Terrible Hair Thinning , Need Advice.

marakzah

My Regimen
Reaction score
Need advice , i am 24 years old and my hair has become super thin and brighter in the last few years. also suffer from receding hairline since i was 16 or so , my hairline slowly became higher and temples almost gone.

i have massive amounts of dandruff from the scalp and beard, and those areas tend to itch at night. i also have what looks to be seborrheic dermatitis on different locations ; redness around my nose, red patches on the back of the head , scaley / flakey skin on the face sometimes after shower , and flakey / crusty eyelashes.

hairloss is common in my family, but i've never seen weird thinning patterns like i have right now. my brother (28) is receding, but his hair is much thicker and healthier than mine.

does it look like male pattern baldness? or maybe my skin issues affected the hair causing it to miniaturize? here are the pictures including older ones from 2013 and 2008: 123.png 4141.png Copy (2) of DSCN0596.JPG IMG_20200126_211727.jpg IMG_20200126_211921.jpg IMG_20200126_233338.jpg IMG_20200127_025159.jpg IMG_20200127_025417.jpg IMG_20200127_025451.jpg IMG_20200127_025529.jpg IMG_20200127_025735.jpg IMG_20200127_025932.jpg IMG_20200127_030134.jpg IMG_20200127_030655.jpg IMG_20200127_030950.jpg IMG_20200129_031548.jpg IMG_20200129_031758.jpg IMG_20200208_043303.jpg

(pictures without dates are from 2020, also i cut my whole hair the same length so the faded sides are actually same length as the back / top hair etc.)

Last edited:

Ritchie

My Regimen
Reaction score
not sure what you mean? im worried about my whole hair situation.
What's your goal? You want to get thick hair on top too? How are you planning to achieve this? Finasteride? Hair Transplant?

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You’re at least NW5-6. Sorry dude, but you’re past the point of maintenance. Also, dont know if a hair transplant would do you good now. Your only option is a system.

Ritchie

My Regimen
Reaction score
You’re at least NW5-6. Sorry dude, but you’re past the point of maintenance. Also, dont know if a hair transplant would do you good now. Your only option is a system.
The only logical way to go about it would be to go on finasteride because he still has small hair on top and if he responds very good like some people do he can get as much hair back as possible and then possibly get a hair transplant in the future. But his chances are very slim imo.

marakzah

My Regimen
Reaction score
i've been reading a lot about finasteride and i think ill try it out , since apparently it works better for diffuse thinners .. i dont have much to lose other than money which is limited right now. would it be smart to try out finasteride for a year , and if it doesnt help much add in minoxidil?

also i have tons of vellus hairs all over the top where i used to have thick hair , so its not completely gone, but very miniaturized.

overall i never cared too much about my hair , but the current situaton is just terrible looking, might aswell be totally bald , but im only 24 so im not 100% on it.

Ritchie

My Regimen
Reaction score
i've been reading a lot about finasteride and i think ill try it out , since apparently it works better for diffuse thinners .. i dont have much to lose other than money which is limited right now. would it be smart to try out finasteride for a year , and if it doesnt help much add in minoxidil?

also i have tons of vellus hairs all over the top where i used to have thick hair , so its not completely gone, but very miniaturized.

overall i never cared too much about my hair , but the current situaton is just terrible looking, might aswell be totally bald , but im only 24 so im not 100% on it.
I think you should get on finasteride and wait to see if you get regrowth and maybe add minoxidil down the road if nothing is happening. Good luck!

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I recommend that you take dutasteride and oral minoxidil, in all honesty. You have a severe form of hair loss, which seems to be DUPA and typical androgenic alopecia. Looking at your age and severity, finasteride may not do much for you. It’s definitely a hard pill to swallow (no pun intended) but your options are to shave or use a combination of a 5AR inhibitor and oral minoxidil.

Hairs45

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
damn, you where a norwood Zero in your youth.

these tenagers posting on here with their juvenile hair do have something to worry about

to markzah, you might be too far gone even with medications

Ritchie

My Regimen
Reaction score

I think the lighting is making his hair look worse than it is, look at the picture where you can see his hair in the mirror, he still has hair on top but it's just thin and there's a lot of potential for regrowth.

these tenagers posting on here with their juvenile hair do have something to worry about
I'm kind of worried now lol....the only thing that is keeping me going is the fact that I still have my child hairline at 18 while this guy and some others lost it when they were about 16

Last edited:

marakzah

My Regimen
Reaction score

yeah man , i used to have really nice hair . i remember a girl was playing with my hair in class and she said its so thick and smooth haha..

i was mentally ready to bald from young age since my father has been almost bald since i remember him , same for my grandpa.. although i didnt do anything about it really. but now that i can compare my hair to my older brother , i can see the huge difference which makes me wonder what causes me to lose so much hair.

I think the lighting is making his hair look worse than it is, look at the picture where you can see his hair in the mirror, he still has hair on top but it's just thin and there's a lot of potential for regrowth.

the light in my room is really bright , and my hairs are almost translucent with the right settings.. it seems that my hair has become brighter and thinner ,but i still have most of the hairline intact.

I'm kind of worried now lol....the only thing that is keeping me going is the fact that I still have my child hairline at 18 while this guy and some others lost it when they were about 16

from what i remember , i used to have lots of dandruff as a kid before hairloss even started. my hair started receding after puberty and it seems to be correlated with the large amounts of body / facial hair that i gained over the years. i also remember starting puberty eariler than others in my age , and i had facial hair and deeper voice before most kids in my class. on the other hand i developed enlarged breasts (never confirmed if its gyno or fat) and put on a lot of weight during and after puberty. i still have the large breasts after shedding close to 15kg and normalizing my weight. i guess my hormones were fucked up but i never tested this stuff. dont know if its related to my hair loss.

Ritchie

My Regimen
Reaction score
from what i remember , i used to have lots of dandruff as a kid before hairloss even started. my hair started receding after puberty and it seems to be correlated with the large amounts of body / facial hair that i gained over the years. i also remember starting puberty eariler than others in my age , and i had facial hair and deeper voice before most kids in my class. on the other hand i developed enlarged breasts (never confirmed if its gyno or fat) and put on a lot of weight during and after puberty. i still have the large breasts after shedding close to 15kg and normalizing my weight. i guess my hormones were fucked up but i never tested this stuff. dont know if its related to my hair loss.

I'm 18 and I'm not very hairy atm the thickest hair I have is my legs and then I have thin arm hair and thin hair under my navel. And most 14 year olds probably have more facial hair than I do at age 18. Also, dandruff is a running thing in my family, even the family members who aren't going bald have dandruff including female relatives too. At what age did you start to lose that juvenile hairline? At around 15 or 16? Also, I hope you fix your gyno, I had it too a few years ago and now my nipple area is completely flat even though I've put on some weight.

marakzah

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 18 and I'm not very hairy atm the thickest hair I have is my legs and then I have thin arm hair and thin hair under my navel. And most 14 year olds probably have more facial hair than I do at age 18. Also, dandruff is a running thing in my family, even the family members who aren't going bald have dandruff including female relatives too. At what age did you start to lose that juvenile hairline? At around 15 or 16? Also, I hope you fix your gyno, I had it too a few years ago and now my nipple area is completely flat even though I've put on some weight.

yes 15~16 i would say . you can see in the 2013 pics that my hair is receding and the sides are thinned out. at that time i started having hairs grow in new locations like at the back of my hand , on the top of my toes , between the eyebrows , and all over the chest . nowadays i have even more body hair including the shoulders and even sometimes i pluck dark hairs that grow out of my ears lol.

Ritchie

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes 15~16 i would say . you can see in the 2013 pics that my hair is receding and the sides are thinned out. at that time i started having hairs grow in new locations like at the back of my hand , on the top of my toes , between the eyebrows , and all over the chest . nowadays i have even more body hair including the shoulders and even sometimes i pluck dark hairs that grow out of my ears lol.
What are you planning on doing? If none of the treatments work out you could always just shave your head and grow out a beard and if you don't have the right head shape you can just get smp.

marakzah

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, I hope you fix your gyno, I had it too a few years ago and now my nipple area is completely flat even though I've put on some weight.

i missed that part of your post. did you do anything about the gyno , or did it go away on its own? i know it can disappear during puberty , but in my case ill have to remove it with surgery from what i read, since i've had it for so long. i had a friend with the same issue and he got it removed , but it was so expensive at the time (around 10 years ago) that i never bothered to even look at it as a teenager.. that sh*t killed my confidence honestly so its worth the money to remove it. i hope it costs less now.

What are you planning on doing? If none of the treatments work out you could always just shave your head and grow out a beard and if you don't have the right head shape you can just get smp.

ill schedule a visit to my Doctor and ask for his opinions first , since i have other health issues (skin, gut , mental) so ill see if he agrees with starting finasteride and maybe he has other suggestions. my plan as i see it now is starting finasteride and possibly dermarolling and wait for results. i've never tried the bald look but its also an option. im not too worried about being bald , but if i could keep my hair (and hopefully improve it) then i have to try treatments first. i was pretty much apathetic on my hair loss until now, but recently i've been trying to improve my health issues and i started being more honest with myself.

Ritchie

My Regimen
Reaction score
i missed that part of your post. did you do anything about the gyno , or did it go away on its own? i know it can disappear during puberty , but in my case ill have to remove it with surgery from what i read, since i've had it for so long. i had a friend with the same issue and he got it removed , but it was so expensive at the time (around 10 years ago) that i never bothered to even look at it as a teenager.. that sh*t killed my confidence honestly so its worth the money to remove it. i hope it costs less now.
I'm not too sure why it came or why it went away. When I had it I used to have a p**rn and masturbation addiction and I used to drink a lot of milk. I've given up all those things and my gyno went away, it all went away when I was 17 so it could be something to do with puberty or anything idk.

ill schedule a visit to my Doctor and ask for his opinions first , since i have other health issues (skin, gut , mental) so ill see if he agrees with starting finasteride and maybe he has other suggestions. my plan as i see it now is starting finasteride and possibly dermarolling and wait for results. i've never tried the bald look but its also an option. im not too worried about being bald , but if i could keep my hair (and hopefully improve it) then i have to try treatments first. i was pretty much apathetic on my hair loss until now, but recently i've been trying to improve my health issues and i started being more honest with myself.
Yeah it's best to go to a doctor first if you have other health problems. Good luck.