Telogen Effluvium or Male Pattern Baldness, or Both?

USMC1371

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am 29 and have been using finasteride for the past 9 years. My question is this: At age 20, I noticed slight recession. Dad is bald, mothers side full heads of hair all around. I began propecia and have not lost a bit since. Back in October, I went through a bad divorce. Didn't eat, slept about an hour a night for an entire month, was severely depressed and generally lived like crap. Well, about a month ago I started thinning quickly and using the "pull" test, I was able to pull out roughly 6-8 hairs (each with white bulbs) in certain places. It has become noticeably thin very quick! I have recovered and am living healthy again but am trying to determine if this is Telogen Effluvium or male pattern baldness.

Here is the catch: I stopped taking finasteride from October 15th through January 25th. Why? Because I read all of the ED stories out there and basically tricked myself into thinking it may be a good idea to quit. As of now I am back on finasteride, am using rogaine foam 2x a day and am using nizoral 3x per week. I know that this could obviously be the mbp catching up after stopping the finasteride but here is another thing....in 2007, I quit for an entire year and a half while deployed to Iraq. My hair never thinned a bit but to make sure, I resumed upon return. Lastly, when I noticed the original thinning at age 20, my first girlfriend had broken up with me which caused the same problems as my divorce has had. No sleep, horrible diet, etc.

I am thinking that maybe I thinned initially because of that and it was in fact Telogen Effluvium at age 20? Either way today I am diffusely thinning and my hairline is getting wrecked to the point where it is pretty noticeable. What do you guys think? My take on male pattern baldness in general is that your hair doesn't shed faster. It simply miniaturizes after each hair cycle until it is gone for good. This shedding is ridiculous and again, each hair is normal looking (thickness wise), each has a white bulb, etc. Thanks in advance everyone!!

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
did you actually get any side effects from finasteride, or just got scared by the stories?

USMC1371

Reaction score
did you actually get any side effects from finasteride, or just got scared by the stories?

Absolutely NOTHING! At least nothing noticeable at all. I am very disappointed in myself for stopping since my hair loss is obvious now (for the first time) but I am hoping it is Telogen Effluvium since most signs point in that direction and given the fact that I stopped finasteride for 1.5 years during my deployment with no hair loss whatsoever. It just sucks because if I had continued to take the finasteride, it would be much easier to narrow down.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

anyone

Woodyy

Reaction score
It all seems to point to Telogen Effluvium to me, if you're thinning the same amount all over then I guess that's a good sign (in that it's probably not male pattern baldness), I've always been under the same assumption as you with male pattern baldness related hair loss as well, shedding isn't that much more noticeable, hair just slowly miniaturizes over time and doesn't really fall out at a much faster rate than someone with no hairloss (someone might correct me on this).

What do the hairs look like that are falling out? I don't think the white bulb means anything, I think just means the hair that has fallen out is in the tellogen phase and I'm pretty sure most hairs that fall out in male pattern baldness related cases are in the telogen phase as well. Are the hairs all the same thickness/density all the way through? Are they all of a decent length? If hair is thinner towards the bulb end of the hair then it's a sign of miniaturization.

Cheers for your help on my question as well by the way, just one thing, would you recommend I wait it out and see if my hair comes back naturally (seems to be getting slightly better already) or just jump on the propecia as soon as I get my hands on it (which should be in the next few days)?

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw a dermatologist who said I had Telogen Effluvium he did a pull test and used a scope on my scalp

A

andrew lincoln

Is Telogen Effluvium the same thing as [h=2]Telogen Effluvium?[/h]