Telogen effluvium from Finasteride?!?

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Kaze, I had exactly the same overall hair loss as month after I started minoxidil (generic). Six months later when I started finasteride,, the problem became a lot more worse and was consistently loosing hair behind and sides as well.

I have been off minoxidil for 6 months now but continued with finasteride, no improvement as I'm hitting the one year mark. Some pics below.

[attachment=1:1sxcjgy2]3.jpg[/attachment:1sxcjgy2]

[attachment=0:1sxcjgy2]5.jpg[/attachment:1sxcjgy2]

Oh well, nothing that a small amount of toppik won't fix.

imsupercereal

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, I think I might have this as well. Been on Finasteride almost 8 months and have experienced accelerated diffuse thinning across top of head, AND on the bottom of my sides. I hope that it is Telogen effluvium and not hyperandrogenicity, because the latter appears to be irreversible. Side effects havent been too bad, but I've had chronic testicle ache, increased oiliness and increased ejaculatory volume (which seems odd?)

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I was shedding at a slow rate (male pattern baldness) only in the scalp area. Was on miox for 11.5 months and would apply it all over scalp and hairline. Not on sides.

After I started minoxidil and later finasteride I started shedding all over inclucding the sides and donor area. Initially keeping it a bit longer helped as it would cover my scalp albeit a little thin.

However, after dumping minoxidil (on finasteride and nizoral for 6 months now), it grows at a snails pace and does not cover my scalp entirely. What makes it worse is that since its diffused in the scalp region, my scalp is visible even without the light on it. Somone on this board ( i think finfighter) advised me that after dropping minoxidil, it might take 3-4 months for the new hair cycle to kick in and I starting to see new hairs. Well it never happened...

I am only on finasteride at the moment and am considering lowering the dose to 0.5 mg to see if it makes any difference.

On another note I'm going to get my blood test done for T, DHT, thyroid etc.

I have mentioned this in earlier post but when I do the tug test I always oull put hairs from top,sides and donor region effortlessly. It could well be thyroid or some other problem I'm having because finasteride and minoxidil does not seem to work on me.

i know this is old but might be beneficial to some....my hair density was fine prior to finasteride and i took finasteride to gradually get off min...i was off min for several months while being on finasteride for the same...2nd shed and i lost over more than half my density in hair..i don't believe its the min causing your Telogen Effluvium or mine its the finasteride...anyways i started min back because i was looking like a chemo patient from finasteride causing Telogen Effluvium and one month on min my hair is slowly coming back but still my density is sh.t compared to before i started on finasteride.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, I think I might have this as well. Been on Finasteride almost 8 months and have experienced accelerated diffuse thinning across top of head, AND on the bottom of my sides. I hope that it is Telogen effluvium and not hyperandrogenicity, because the latter appears to be irreversible. Side effects havent been too bad, but I've had chronic testicle ache, increased oiliness and increased ejaculatory volume (which seems odd?)
sucks, right? too bad many who experience this accelerated diffusing don't report back letting us know how they are doing but very few who did say they been worst off after finasteride, quitting finasteride and even very few (RARE) said they stuck to finasteride and finally seen improvement, again RARE..like one guy didnt see improvements until 16-18 months on finasteride but his hair loss/shed is questionable

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey I have been experiencing Telogen Effluvium since starting propecia. I immediately got itchy scalp a day into propecia. I noticed my a hair thinning two weeks in and it has been diffusing evenly thoughout my hair including my donor area and the sides of my head. I had only temporal recessions before starting propecia. I have had trouble finding other people with this reaction to propecia. Please respond back. I dont really know where to turn to at this point. I have been on propecia for 7 months at this point and it continues to grow thinner.
DUDE THIS IS ME, U GET BETTER?

OsamaBeenBanging

My Regimen
Reaction score
DUDE THIS IS ME, U GET BETTER?
Any update? I have been on minoxidil for an year and it helped me maintain. This month i started using finasteride and suddenly within i weak my scalp got itchy and im experiencing heavy shed. Should i stop or continue with finasteride?

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any update? I have been on minoxidil for an year and it helped me maintain. This month i started using finasteride and suddenly within i weak my scalp got itchy and im experiencing heavy shed. Should i stop or continue with finasteride?
Ppl say shedding to be expected but if it’s accompanied with itchy and burning sensation I would stop. Topical finasteride might not do this to you as an alternative solution

kopiko4

My Regimen
Reaction score
Seems I also got finasteride-induced Telogen Effluvium (or maybe reflex hyperandrogenicity). Any updates? Whats the best way to proceed?