Telogen Effluvium and hair regrowth

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
I stopped shedding heavily with Telogen Effluvium about middle of january and my loss has more or stablised since then but i seem to be losing smaller weak looking hairs now.I seem to have lots of regrowth coming in at the front and they seem to be healthy and coming along good with exception of a few colourless weak looking ones.and i see small stubbly ones coming through at the crown where the loss is really diffused.The vertex is still messed up but its easy to cover most of it with brushing.The question is should i wait for about 6 months to see how the regrowth comes along or should i jump on some sort of treatment.At the moment im just using nizoral every other day and vitamin supplements :)

leg366

Reaction score
hi

I am assuming you are a man with Telogen Effluvium but not male pattern baldness?

I am a woman who had chronic Telogen Effluvium for more than three years and my regrowth sounds just like yours. It has been slow and steady. I am only on one real Androgenetic Alopecia rx (topical spironolactone)since I am not sure if or how bad I even have it. so I have avoided minoxidil. but the lasercomb has been a big help- and getting my scalp back into shape. lots of msm, biotin, omega 3's. the right shampoo, etc.

just my 2c

Leg

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
Thankyou Leg The doctor put it down to stress (which was severe stress) which caused T.E. i seem to off gone through the usual pattern of T.E. 3 months of heavy sheds then it stopped and im left with general difuse thinning over the top of my scalp and a bit of loss on the right side.And before that i had healthy thick hair with no signs of M.P.B.The front has loads of new regrowth coming in and the back has some signs of regrowth sprouting up.I havent tried MSM so im going to give that a go and see how i get on.

former

Reaction score
hey me too, i been having this Telogen Effluvium thing for a couple of months already, and i have this burning sensation on my scalp, which i don't dare to touch my scalp. Just hopping it will go away.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You could try NANO shampoo to help speed along your hair growth.

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Global i will give NANO a try i did try out Silicium 44 Shampoo which is a shampoo for tempory hairloss and that was meant to help with regrowth and the stuff freaked me out i used it when my hair loss was stabilised and back to normal first time i used it the next time i came to wash my hair with normal shampoo i had easily lost 100 hairs so i gave it the benefit of the doudt and gave it another try and the same thing happend.
:freaked2: when i stopped using it everything went back to normal again.

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
hey me too, i been having this Telogen Effluvium thing for a couple of months already, and i have this burning sensation on my scalp, which i don't dare to touch my scalp. Just hopping it will go away.
I had that when i was shedding if i got the pain i knew i would be in for a big shed and sure enough i did i tried different shampoos such as Nizoral T/GEL etc and nothing touched it also had a lot of dandruff when i was getting the pain but once T.E settles down so does the pain.

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
Mickey, I have been told over and over by my Derm that I have Telogen Effluvium. The lack of regrowth and the continued shedding have me thinking otherwise, however I did have an "inciting event' that brought about huge stress. What was the time frame for you? How long after the "inciting event" did you start shedding? Did you have an "inciting event"? And how long did your sheds last? Most importantly, did your shed just stop overnight or did it take a month to slowly stop?

I think you and I have a lot in common. I have a similar thing to what you have, except you seem to be having a better recovery.

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, Mickey, how do you account for your own male pattern baldness? Is it just a coincidence that it started at the same time as your Telogen Effluvium, or do you think the Telogen Effluvium sped the whole male pattern baldness process up, or what?

leg366

Reaction score
scalp pain

the thing that really helped with that was copper peptides, especially tricomin blue spray. and my regrowth has taken FOREVER (years). partly bc I had to correct my iron but my impression is that the hair was trying to regrow but couldn't until my scalp also recovered from all the irritation, pain etc.

Leg

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: scalp pain

leg366 said:
the thing that really helped with that was copper peptides, especially tricomin blue spray. and my regrowth has taken FOREVER (years). partly bc I had to correct my iron but my impression is that the hair was trying to regrow but couldn't until my scalp also recovered from all the irritation, pain etc.

Leg

Well, I don't know if it works the same in women as in men, but I am told the regrowth should take the rest of the year, but I think its all for naught if my shedding never stops.

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
Mickey, I have been told over and over by my Derm that I have Telogen Effluvium. The lack of regrowth and the continued shedding have me thinking otherwise, however I did have an "inciting event' that brought about huge stress. What was the time frame for you? How long after the "inciting event" did you start shedding? Did you have an "inciting event"? And how long did your sheds last? Most importantly, did your shed just stop overnight or did it take a month to slowly stop?

I think you and I have a lot in common. I have a similar thing to what you have, except you seem to be having a better recovery.

Hi Rapidfrontal
The stress and depression i was under began to stabilise about July 2004 and i first noticed my hair shedding Oct/Nov 2004 there was roughly a 3 month gap between when the stress ended and the hair loss started.I was washing my hair everyday easily losing between 80-120 hairs per day after each wash with another 50 just by running my hand through my hair.This lasted for roughly 3 months and ended end of January and it just stopped it didnt slow down just went back to normal overnight.I have easily lost 50% denisty all over the top with a little bit of loss on my right side in just those 3 months.The vertex is the most badly hit area for me even though other areas are left thin.in the front new regrowth seems to be sprouting up every other day.Further back as far as i can see on the crown i have some regrowth sprouting up.Hard to tell with the vertex but i can feel some stubble in and around the area. :?

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, Mickey, how do you account for your own male pattern baldness? Is it just a coincidence that it started at the same time as your Telogen Effluvium, or do you think the Telogen Effluvium sped the whole male pattern baldness process up, or what?

Not sure i wish i knew the answer myself im 34 and before all this i was lucky i had no signs of male pattern baldness and in just 3 months of shedding the vertex is messed up and the whole top is diffused.Now im noticing regrowth i guess i have to wait to see if all grows back.And then take things from there if it dont its just a waiting game. :?

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Rapidfrontal
The stress and depression i was under began to stabilise about July 2004 and i first noticed my hair shedding Oct/Nov 2004 there was roughly a 3 month gap between when the stress ended and the hair loss started.I was washing my hair everyday easily losing between 80-120 hairs per day after each wash with another 50 just by running my hand through my hair.This lasted for roughly 3 months and ended end of January and it just stopped it didnt slow down just went back to normal overnight.I have easily lost 50% denisty all over the top with a little bit of loss on my right side in just those 3 months.The vertex is the most badly hit area for me even though other areas are left thin.in the front new regrowth seems to be sprouting up every other day.Further back as far as i can see on the crown i have some regrowth sprouting up.Hard to tell with the vertex but i can feel some stubble in and around the area. :?[/quote]

Well, I am also 34 and my time frame is similar to yours. You are a couple of months ahead of me. My stress began Sept, 2004 and I first noticed signs of problems in early Dec. Since then I have been shedding, but there have been two times when I thought the shedding was letting up. Once was 1 week ago. I thought things were on the right track because all of a sudden I wasn't getting much hair if any by running my hands through it, but as of yesterday, I am shedding again. I am under the impression that my male pattern baldness is slow, except that now with what has happened over the past few months it is very fast, but that it'll go back to its normal rate when the shedding stops. My right temple is receeding rapidly whereas my left is ok and my crown is thin, but still ok.

Glad to hear about your shedding and regrowth. Good luck.