Telling My Story (with Pictures): What Next?

Marls

My Regimen
Reaction score
What’s up to anyone reading this. So my hair loss journey, as concisely as I can keep it, began around the age of 16/17 and progressed at a fairly slow, steady rate prior to intervention. When I reached the age of 21 I decided to take action so I purchased my first order of Propecia and a few bottles of Nizoral, and sometime in January of 2015 I began my regime. Three years and whatever time later I am here, thankfully, having stabilised my hair loss, albeit no aesthetically-substantial regrowth. My biggest concern is the frontal region of my hair, particularly the first inch and half in from my hairline. My crown has slight thinning but I don’t think it is detrimental at this current time. I am unsure where I would sit on the Norwood scale (maybe the earlier stages). For me the convenience of ‘popping a pill’ once daily was appealing but the thought of having to apply a foam/liquid twice a day was not; hence, I avoided the use of Minoxidil. However, seeing user’s success stories has really had me contemplating hopping on the stuff and giving it a go. Maybe the Minoxidil could fill out my hairline as I do have a lot of miniaturised hairs still present? Recently I have started taking Vitamin D3 tablets daily with slight hope that it can have some form of positive impact against hair loss and, if not, I guess it’s still overall healthy to take. I have attached a few images of my current situation to give you readers an idea of where I am. I’d really appreciate input on whether to add Minoxidil to my regime, some knowledge of anything else I could add to keep on top of things or go for a hair transplant?

Cheers.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender[1].jpg
IMG_6005.JPG
IMG_6007.JPG
IMG_6008.JPG

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are not really at the stage were you should be considering a transplant. Minoxidil foam would be the next logical step. You could try Zix as this would help maintain if you can be bothered mixing it.

Marls

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are not really at the stage were you should be considering a transplant. Minoxidil foam would be the next logical step. You could try Zix as this would help maintain if you can be bothered mixing it.

Do you think I'd be able to improve my hair line using minoxidil as there are a few smaller hairs still present?

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think I'd be able to improve my hair line using minoxidil as there are a few smaller hairs still present?
In my experience i would say yes it will after 3 months of continuous use and maybe a early shed(nothing to worry about) but its a horse you cant get off once you are in the saddle. For me its not a problem as its just part of my morning routine, shower, brush teeth, apply minoxidil, comb hair go to work.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
ever thought about switching to dutasteride? I would go that route for a year before trying minoxidil, but that's just me. I really wish i had your crown! :)

Marls

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my experience i would say yes it will after 3 months of continuous use and maybe a early shed(nothing to worry about) but its a horse you cant get off once you are in the saddle. For me its not a problem as its just part of my morning routine, shower, brush teeth, apply minoxidil, comb hair go to work.

I never knew if maybe the Propecia would hold on to whatever the Minoxidil grew back and I could discontinue use once I was happy with the regrowth? How many times do you apply Minoxidil and does it affect the texture of your hair?

Marls

My Regimen
Reaction score
ever thought about switching to dutasteride? I would go that route for a year before trying minoxidil, but that's just me. I really wish i had your crown! :)

If Propecia ever began to lose effectiveness for me then I would definitely think about making the switch, indeed! I sit and nitpick at my crown so I guess it's good to always have perspective of others, thank you :)! I think I managed to step in early with halting the balding process.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I never knew if maybe the Propecia would hold on to whatever the Minoxidil grew back and I could discontinue use once I was happy with the regrowth? How many times do you apply Minoxidil and does it affect the texture of your hair?
No Propecia wont hold on to minoxidil hair just your existing hair. When you stop minoxidil that hair will miniaturise. I use once a day because i am using a few topical's at the moment but you can use twice a day for better results.

Marls

My Regimen
Reaction score
No Propecia wont hold on to minoxidil hair just your existing hair. When you stop minoxidil that hair will miniaturise. I use once a day because i am using a few topical's at the moment but you can use twice a day for better results.

Sorry for all the questions in advance but would a singular application of Minoxidil daily suffice? I've heard Minoxidil is dose-dependent so would that mean it would just take longer to achieve maximum results, in comparison to applying twice daily?

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions in advance but would a singular application of Minoxidil daily suffice? I've heard Minoxidil is dose-dependent so would that mean it would just take longer to achieve maximum results, in comparison to applying twice daily?[/Q

I think if you can do twice a day 5% foam then you will get better results then once a day because it is working 24 hrs a day but it depends when you shower. You tend to get the best growth over the first two years then it kind stabilises and if you still need regrowth then you can try to up the dosage but it doesn't always work.