Telling my brother that he's balding without being insensitive?

Mr. Prince

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My younger brother is starting to show signs of early diffuse thinning mainly in the frontal scalp excluding the hairline which is still strong.

We never discuss things seriously and it's mostly jokes and banter. But I do care for him and want the best for him. Just not sure what's the best way of bringing it up. I'm sure someone else brought it up to him, but I want to provide solutions but finasteride is kinda taboo here where I live.

nir7699

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's a very sensitive issue, similar to telling someone you love that she/he has gained weight. Maybe it's bothering you more than it bothers him - in that case, I wouldn't bring it up. But you might want to check advises in forums for weight loss, or consult a psychologist about it.
Anyway, the most common clinically approved alternative for finasteride is topical minoxidil that has less side effects. There are also alternative treatments which might help controlling shedding, if you get to read more in this forum and in others. However, currently there is no way to fully stop genetic hair loss, only to limit it..
There are other skin issues that promote even more hair loss and should be addressed, such as skin inflammation, dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis. Ketoconazole shampoo is recommended in some of these cases. I suggest consulting a dermatologist that checks the scalp and follicles under microscope.

Last edited:

Southcity94

My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean he s your brother?! Just talk with him like that. Maybe he knows and doesnt Care, is in denial, didnt notice etc?
I speak with my Brother about anything. If hes gaining weight, Im telling him hes getting fat lol. Dont make a big deal, he s now stranger but respect his attitude torwards balding