Tape And Glue On Swiss Lace? How Strong Is It

FullyCool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys!

New here. I wondered about the strength of the tape used to hold a swiss lace (font and back) combined with a glued front. How hard can you pull before it rips? Any hardships while on rollercoasters?

How often should you redo the tape? Once every two weeks?

Thanks

Noah

Reaction score
Hi FullyCool

The strong tapes (I use Walkers No-Shine) which you can use for the sides and back are very strong. When they are fully cured they are stronger than the system base itself, so if someone tried to yank the system it would tear the base before the tapes would give way. Of course, the adhesive does weaken with time, and also if you get very hot and sweaty, although it varies from person to person. In my case (which I think is pretty typical) even after 12 - 14 days the tape is still very solid, and no way is it coming off. It has to be soaked off with alcohol.

Those very strong tapes are unfortunately too thick and visible to be used on your hairline if it is exposed to view. For an exposed hairline you can use glue or a thinner tape like Walkers 3-mil thin lace support tape. Those are not as strong, although still pretty strong - say comparable with the industrial sticky tape you get for sticking down carpet tiles. When it is fresh you can't pull it off without hurting your scalp - it needs to be soaked off with alcohol. But after 10 - 14 days wear, or if you get hot and sweaty, it gets weaker - comparable to ordinary sticky tape. It won't come off by itself, but at that point if someone yanked it it would come off. So obviously that is a vulnerability - you don't want anyone horsing around with your system when you are hot and sweaty from the gym. But when you cool down it goes back to full strength.

Rollercoasters are no problem - a lace system doesn't offer any resistance to the wind - the wind can just blow through the hair and the lace base.

I would recommend re-doing the tape every 10-14 days.

Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just to add one thing to this, I sweat a lot, especially at night. I use only tape, also Walkers (No-Shine and Ultra-hold). I just started using a double-layer of Walkers Max Hold Sport scalp prep, and it was VERY difficult to remove the system after one week. It did NOT want to come off my scalp. I am going for two weeks, and see how it goes. The scalp prep really seems to make for a better bond, I would suggest giving it a try.

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does the sport hold scalp prep not just make it bond quicker? I need to get more active myself right now and this is a concern for me as well.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does the sport hold scalp prep not just make it bond quicker? I need to get more active myself right now and this is a concern for me as well.

No, it's like paint primer for your head. It makes the bond stronger, and longer lasting, and protects the skin from irritation on the adhesive. Also makes the bond waterproof, quicker.

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You really recommend making the switch then? I am hitting the gym hard for the next month or two.

Hair56

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, it's like paint primer for your head. It makes the bond stronger, and longer lasting, and protects the skin from irritation on the adhesive. Also makes the bond waterproof, quicker.

Would you recommend using the max water sport with the ultra hold? Ghost bond tends to take some time to fully bond.

FullyCool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi FullyCool

The strong tapes (I use Walkers No-Shine) which you can use for the sides and back are very strong. When they are fully cured they are stronger than the system base itself, so if someone tried to yank the system it would tear the base before the tapes would give way. Of course, the adhesive does weaken with time, and also if you get very hot and sweaty, although it varies from person to person. In my case (which I think is pretty typical) even after 12 - 14 days the tape is still very solid, and no way is it coming off. It has to be soaked off with alcohol.

Those very strong tapes are unfortunately too thick and visible to be used on your hairline if it is exposed to view. For an exposed hairline you can use glue or a thinner tape like Walkers 3-mil thin lace support tape. Those are not as strong, although still pretty strong - say comparable with the industrial sticky tape you get for sticking down carpet tiles. When it is fresh you can't pull it off without hurting your scalp - it needs to be soaked off with alcohol. But after 10 - 14 days wear, or if you get hot and sweaty, it gets weaker - comparable to ordinary sticky tape. It won't come off by itself, but at that point if someone yanked it it would come off. So obviously that is a vulnerability - you don't want anyone horsing around with your system when you are hot and sweaty from the gym. But when you cool down it goes back to full strength.

Rollercoasters are no problem - a lace system doesn't offer any resistance to the wind - the wind can just blow through the hair and the lace base.

I would recommend re-doing the tape every 10-14 days.

Noah

Thank you very much! Very detailed answers

I have few more questions :

- Do you fully tape the back and side around the perimeter, or only tape in a few strategic locations?
- For the front, is it better to use thin tape or glue? Which one is stronger when doing sports, and which one is easier to maintain
- How often should you shower when you swiss lace is on, can you do it daily?
- How do you keep your hair system from smelling, is there a product for that?
- How long does it take to do maintenance every two weeks?

Thanks!