Talked Out Of A System By An Honest Salon.

Thesmeesh

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've recently been tossing up between a system, transplant, and so on, and decided to go to a couple of hair system salons in Melbourne.

We don't have much to choose from, but I went to two of the best reviewed ones.

I have standard Norwood 3 temple recession, but really thick hair everywhere else. It's long, and I can easily cover the recession.

The first place I went, went into sales mode. Suggested I buy a system, told me where they would cut to (the crown), and so on. I suggested a partial, as I have a lot of hair, but they were adamant on a full.

The second place was a breath of fresh air. The girl there was wonderful and honest, and actually talked me out of getting a system, as she said I have so much hair left, and I'd be better with an updated cut. She was very geniune, and I saw guys in the salon who looked amazing. If anyone is in Melbourne, msg me and I will PM you the details.

She suggested that, due to the thickness of my hair on top, a system would be more problems than I currently experience, and my current hair will really push the system upwards as soon as it grows. I'm just wondering does anyone here use a system to cover just frontal recession? And if so, do they have issues with thick hair underneath regrowing quickly? I was pretty intent on a system, but the salon gave me some things to think about.

Cheers.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Front partial systems are indeed used and can delay, for many years the need for getting a full system, especially if the crown is truly intact.

It all depends on what you are looking for. A Norwood 3, can be disguised with a haircut that covers the hairline, no problem if that is the type of style you want.

The front partial needs to be deep enough to cover the thinning area and have enough surface area for a good bond. You would probably not need to shave a significant amount of thick hair (just enough for a good blend).

It's really hard to tell without photos.

There are some situations, like long curly hair, where it can be an issue of matching the curl exactly, and the wearer opting for a full, instead of a partial. I have a client who is young, and that is what we chose.

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
My crown is intact but I wear a full system. I'm a daily wearer so I can shave my scalp every day or every second day. I only use tape and don't touch glue. Low maintenance and no regrets.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Laconian, what tape do you use?

You don't feel like you're putting too much strain on the system by removing every night?

How's the S7 in your opinion?

Thesmeesh

My Regimen
Reaction score
Front partial systems are indeed used and can delay, for many years the need for getting a full system, especially if the crown is truly intact.

It all depends on what you are looking for. A Norwood 3, can be disguised with a haircut that covers the hairline, no problem if that is the type of style you want.

The front partial needs to be deep enough to cover the thinning area and have enough surface area for a good bond. You would probably not need to shave a significant amount of thick hair (just enough for a good blend).

It's really hard to tell without photos.

There are some situations, like long curly hair, where it can be an issue of matching the curl exactly, and the wearer opting for a full, instead of a partial. I have a client who is young, and that is what we chose.

Hey Bald, thanks for the great reply.

I was looking for an unexposed hairline, and a bit short on the sides. I've got a bit of a mop now. I'll see if I can find a photo of myself for a better gauge.

Do you have any clients who have issues with he amount of hair they have on their head? As in, if it's still really thick and intact under the system, does it push up quickly?

Thanks again.

Thesmeesh

My Regimen
Reaction score
My crown is intact but I wear a full system. I'm a daily wearer so I can shave my scalp every day or every second day. I only use tape and don't touch glue. Low maintenance and no regrets.

That sounds like a nice way to go about it. I suppose you have the added advantage of a good, fresh hold every day also.
Do you find the daily shaving is a must?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
My hairline is receded in a way I can't tolerate but I don't have much "baldness" if you will. My hair grows rapidly and I don't feel it incumbent on me to shave more than once a week.

After that, I can tell you I have too much hair under my lace for me to have natural-looking scalp exposure.

Thesmeesh

My Regimen
Reaction score
My hairline is receded in a way I can't tolerate but I don't have much "baldness" if you will. My hair grows rapidly and I don't feel it incumbent on me to shave more than once a week.

After that, I can tell you I have too much hair under my lace for me to have natural-looking scalp exposure.

This is exactly where I'm at. My recession is something I really dislike, and it really limits my options for hair styles, but as of now, the remainder of my hair is substantial.

Do you find any issues with the system not sticking, or the hold not working as well due to the hair underneath? I suppose the constant shaving takes care of that.

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
That sounds like a nice way to go about it. I suppose you have the added advantage of a good, fresh hold every day also.
Do you find the daily shaving is a must?

Actually I never shave my scalp. I just trim it with my hair clipper zero guard. Takes less than five minutes. I noticed that if I don't trim the scalp then the hold isn't as good the next day when I reattach my system, so I prefer to trim every evening before bed.

As for the hold, it's only as fresh as the tape. I use the same tape around the perimeter for several days before I completely replace it, but I do reinforce it here and there with fresh pieces for a better hold.

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Laconian, what tape do you use?

You don't feel like you're putting too much strain on the system by removing every night?

How's the S7 in your opinion?

Walker Ultra Hold. I've been experimenting with Walker Super Stick but the Ultra Hold is definitely better for reuse and daily wearing. There's minimal strain when I remove my system. Just a bit of rubbing alcohol does the trick for me.

I'm happy with the S7 so far. At that price point I really can't complain about the quality and even if I have to replace the system every three months it would still be significantly cheaper than my local salon/tech.

I've noticed that a lot of hairs go through the lace but I just cut them off without hesitating because of the density of the piece.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember your mentioning how ridiculous medium density must look. For real.

I hadn't worn my piece for a day after removal and cleaning. Last night I attached late at night and, since I was just going to bed, I just sprayed in some leave-in and didn't apply any gel. My piece is dense as hell. Honestly, without gel, it borders on being too dense too my eye, particularly since the hairline isn't graduated.

Nor does it feel real to the touch. Even if my lace didn't have lips where it meets my bio hair, which indicate something is up, the hair doesn't feel real.

I use a lot of gel, just like I did when my hairline was fully intact, so my hair feels coated and is stuck together etc, basically resolving that issue.

But I can't imagine even a tight-fitting, perfectly untangled lace passing any serious touch test simply because lace doesn't feel like scalp.

I have an all-poly piece but apparently it's not UTS thin. That system, which basically suctions onto the head, taking on its shape really well, still has the lip issue.

Also I, like you, wear my hair down, hairline unexposed - but you know what the S7's hairline feels like. If a hand pushed back on it, the front hairline is unnatural.

The above is an inarticulate mess, as I just woke up, but I'm sure you can make out what I mean.

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
@cottonReville yeah the hairline looks unnatural in my opinion -- it's basically a wall of dense very dark hair in my case. I don't know how anyone except for Asian men can wear this piece with an exposed hairline and think it looks natural.

If a woman asked me to push my hair back just "out of curiosity" I feel the charade would be up in a heartbeat.

However I'm satisfied so far with the actual quality of the hair. For now it still looks and feels real but I don't use any styling products at all except for Chi Argan Oil once in a while. It's been scrutinized by several people from up close and no one seemed to be suspicious.

Maybe I'll order the Q6 next time (https://www.lordhair.com/q6-stock-french-lace-skin-hairpieces-for-thinning-hair.html) with a graduated hairline.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ya, I don't think anyone suspects my hair is fake. People know, because I'd always told them I was going to get toupee.

I'd just smoked some pot before writing that post, and I actually think the hairline isn't that bad, unless scrutinized.

Have you had new women run through your hair or grab it at all? What happened?

I'm just going to be upfront in most cases, particularly if it's the kind of girl I'd want to be for some time.

Still a non-issue at this pt. so I can't say for sure

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
@cottonReville I was making out with one woman on my sofa and she was scrutinizing my hair all evening. At one point she touched it but I stopped her from any further inspection. Definitely don't want any women touch my hair system. They'd certainly feel the lace perimeter if they started running their fingers through my hair.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
@cottonReville I was making out with one woman on my sofa and she was scrutinizing my hair all evening. At one point she touched it but I stopped her from any further inspection. Definitely don't want any women touch my hair system. They'd certainly feel the lace perimeter if they started running their fingers through my hair.

Ya. My perimeter is insanely detectable (overlapping tape over French); plus the front hairline isn't graduated & looks fake, so I wear my hair down.

As a watch enthusiast who prefers to wear timepieces on leather, girls note immediately that I'm fussy. And I make a big show of it &, frankly, it just makes them like me more. So I'm going to extraordinarily neurotic about not touching the hair.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
How'd you get her stop @Laconian ? "I know society scruples against hitting women, but, My God, if you touch my hair once more, I will lay you out!"

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
@cottonReville I calmly grabbed her hand and said as smoothly as possible "I don't like it when people touch my face and hair." The "face" part makes it less suspicious, but I also seriously don't want women stroking my face because I use eyeliner to fill in the gaps in my beard and they could end up with dirty hands.

I've already stained enough female lips/chins with my beard as is. Afterwards I always have to rub their faces clean nodding my head and saying "wait you have something here" or some sh*t before they look in the mirror, see that they're covered in mysterious dark smudges and put two and two together. I really have to find a better solution than eyeliner.