Taking Omega 3 Oils From Certain Sources Is Pointless- See Chart

proscar2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/...FORUMVIEWTMP=Threaded&catid=10&threadid=59559

here are two graphs that should help explain this. the first graph was found by "hogan", the second by chrome.

there are 3 key points from these graphs:

1....."In humans D6D deficiency (lack of a crucial enzyme) is common so conversion to downstream acids is insignificant"
In other words, taking the Omega 3 Alpha Linoic Acid in the form of Flax & Perilla Oil is a complete waste of money for most humans.
The same applies to the Omega 6 Linoleic Acid Soybean oil, safflower oil & corn oil. You need to take EPA & GLA directly, via Fish Oils and Borage,blackcurrent,EPO respectively.

2.....About half way down the first graph, you can see that EPA (fish oils) blocks the conversion of DGLA to the very bad AA.
So, if you are taking GLA in the form of Borage oil, Blackcurrent oil or Evening Primrose oil, the GLA converts to DGLA which then has 2 routes to choose from;

the GOOD anti-inflammatory Prostanglandin route
the BAD Arachidonic Acid route,

As you can see, EPA (from fish oils) prevents the conversion of DGLA to AA. very important !

3....As you can see, Animal Fats convert directly into the BAD AA, so you also need to cut down on Animal Fats.\

There is a fourth equally important point not shown on these 2 graphs. The vast majority of americans already get way too much Omega 6 via their normal diet. On the other hand, Omega 3 is seriously deficient in many people. So most people need to take a damned sight more Omega 3 than Omega 6 - if they need to take Omega 6 at all. It is even more complicated than that because its the correct ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 thats important. This differs depending on what you reead. In general, it seems to be in the ratio of 1:1 to 4:1 in favour of Omega 3. Bearing in mind that most Americans already consume around 20 - 50 times the required amount of Omega 6 via their diet, it becomes more obvious that most Americans need to cut down dramatically on Omega 6 while boosting consumption of Omega 3 to get near the correct ratio. However, the graph says you want to raise DGLA so suggests increasing GLA but only if you ioncrease intake of EPA at the same time. This emphasise the important point i am trying to make here i.e. that you need to take EPA if you are using GLA.

please bear in mind that i am not a doctor or anything, this is what i have personally gleaned from reseaching EFA's and these are my own thoughts which may well be wrong. i strongly suggest anyone to Google EFA's themselves and come to their own conclusions.

upload_2018-3-2_14-37-50.gif

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yet it's amazing how few physicians recommend it to their patients. Can't wait to see your post on olive oil.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
The Problem, is that with omega you "kill" the substrate for all prostaglandines, including the one beneficial for hair . I use 3 grams of pure omega 3 , from GNC, for a whole years and didn't notice a thing on my hair. Like the aspirin or ibuprofen, it will cause you stomach problems, cause , it also affect the good prostaglandines on the stomach.