Taking Meds Before Or After Fue Transplant???

mckenna

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have never taken anything ever in my life regarding my hair. I am starting to thin on top at the rear and I want to just go for it and get an HUE transplant.
Now Im wondering, should I apply topical Rogaine foam right after the transplant, like after a fews days to enhance the growth or would it be better not to add anything to the transplant? I thought since shedding occurs when using Rogaine, that it would possibly make the transplanted hair fall out

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

s.a.f

Reaction score
mckenna said:
Hi everyone
I have never taken anything ever in my life regarding my hair. I am starting to thin on top at the rear and I want to just go for it and get an HUE transplant.

You should be on finasteride and be sure its working for you before you even consider a hair transplant.

PS Dont you mean FUE not HUE? Reseach, research, research then research some more. Dont go into a hair transplant without first learning everything there is to know about it.

mckenna

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
mckenna said:
Hi everyone

You should be on finasteride and be sure its working for you before you even consider a hair transplant.

PS Dont you mean FUE not HUE? Reseach, research, research then research some more. Dont go into a hair transplant without first learning everything there is to know about it.

Hi
I have been researching a bit, and yeah I meant FUE not HUE sorry haha

When Im a person easily paronoid and I really never wanna touch finasteride
because I know personally Ill be always worrying about the side effects. Thats just me. It may work great for many others.

I think Id rather pay the $5000-7000 for a transplany and be done with it.
Well, not completely done, but you know what I mean
Its a lot of money, but then again, buying the "big 3" over and over and the time applying it daily adds up

Boondock

Reaction score
^ Good advice there.

If you spend enough time online, you start to believe that getting a hair transplant is a 'normal' thing to do. It is not. I don't know the percentage of bald guys that actually do it, but I'd expect it's in the region of 0.1%.

It's not an 'easy' option. As Dudemon said, most people end up doing more than one, and you have to take a great amount of time out of your life.

I'm not saying don't do it, but take your time before you do.

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
IMO, getting an hair transplant without planning on using finasteride is a bad idea. Some reputable hair transplant surgeons will refuse you as an hair transplant candidate if you have not already been on finasteride for 6 months prior to your hair transplant, and /or do not plan on continuing finasteride for the rest of your life. They simply won't do surgery on you without it.
Why is that? I thought that the result of hair transplant is permanent. Or is it in order to avoid further hair loss from the susceptible area, which could potentially devastate any aesthetic improvements from the surgery?

mckenna

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys for the information and help!!

Actually, Im not shedding or losing my hair rapidly. I actually do have a lot of hair remaining. Im just thin on the side temples and on top. Its on top where Id like to get my first ever hair transplant done.

To be honest guys, I think it will be impossible for me to get on meds, especially those that may affect me privately. I completely paranoid about that and I know that I wouldnt stop thinking about it

So I figured, while Im still fairly young, 32, that I just go for it and get a permanent solution. But know I have read in this thread that you need to take something even after the hair transplant

I thought it was a one-time thing and didnt need to be touched afterwards??

Thx!!!

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mckenna said:

Actually, Im not shedding or losing my hair rapidly. I actually do have a lot of hair remaining. Im just thin on the side temples and on top. Its on top where Id like to get my first ever hair transplant done.

To be honest guys, I think it will be impossible for me to get on meds, especially those that may affect me privately. I completely paranoid about that and I know that I wouldnt stop thinking about it

So I figured, while Im still fairly young, 32, that I just go for it and get a permanent solution. But know I have read in this thread that you need to take something even after the hair transplant

Thx!!!

You need to take propecia for a year before getting your hair transplant. You need to make sure you can tolerate the drug as getting a hair transplant without Propecia is VERY RISKY as you could run out of donor hair. it's risky even with Propecia.

Also if you use propecia and Rogaine Foam for a year you will most likely grow back some hair so you will spend less on your hair transplant, start the drugs after and much of the growth you see will not only be from the hair transplant but also from the drugs.

I have been on Propecia for 14 years with no sides, I can bench double my body weight and have sex 3 or more times per day at age 41, Don't believe the fear mongers from the Propecia side effects website.

Even if you respond well to Propecia VERY FEW guys only need 1 hair transplant, plan on a minimum of 2 and most likely more

mckenna

Reaction score
HT55 said:
mckenna said:

Thx!!!

You need to take propecia for a year before getting your hair transplant. You need to make sure you can tolerate the drug as getting a hair transplant without Propecia is VERY RISKY as you could run out of donor hair. it's risky even with Propecia.

Also if you use propecia and Rogaine Foam for a year you will most likely grow back some hair so you will spend less on your hair transplant, start the drugs after and much of the growth you see will not only be from the hair transplant but also from the drugs.

I have been on Propecia for 14 years with no sides, I can bench double my body weight and have sex 3 or more times per day at age 41, Don't believe the fear mongers from the Propecia side effects website.

Even if you respond well to Propecia VERY FEW guys only need 1 hair transplant, plan on a minimum of 2 and most likely more

Thx for the info!
So how can I determine how much donor hair I have? Does it depend on how thick your hair is at the back?

cuebald

Reaction score
If you're NOT on finasteride, and you get a transplant to fill in your current NW3 into a NW1, the following will happen:

You will grow into your NW1 and it will look nice, perhaps, for a few months.
You will continue to recede into a NW6 pattern (unless you're one of the VERY FEW who stops at NW3-4)

Your transplanted hair will be with you until you die, most likely, but the natural hair BEHIND your hair transplant will recede as normal.
You will then be left with a weird "island" of the transplanted hair, followed by a big bald spot. Some people liken it to having a moustache on the top of your head.

Most, if not all people who had a transplant at NW3, and didn't take finasteride afterwards, come back posting onto this website telling everyone what a mistake it was, and asking if there is any way they can undo the damage so they can shave down without looking like a freak.

Read this topic for more info:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=60432

If you have not finished balding and you want to get a hair transplant, you NEED to be on finasteride or dutasteride, or you will end up disfigured. It has been said time and time again on these boards, and it gets ignored - until it is too late.
Most of the good docs won't operate on you without it, and you'll likely end up getting butchered anyway.

You want to have surgery that will drastically alter your appearance and you haven't even researched the procedures name correctly.
I don't think you're a good hair transplant candidate at all. You might say you want "just 5 years of hair" - what then, in 5 years time, when you look a freak?

Buy a wig mate.

mckenna

Reaction score
cuebald said:
If you're NOT on finasteride, and you get a transplant to fill in your current NW3 into a NW1, the following will happen:

You will grow into your NW1 and it will look nice, perhaps, for a few months.
You will continue to recede into a NW6 pattern (unless you're one of the VERY FEW who stops at NW3-4)

Your transplanted hair will be with you until you die, most likely, but the natural hair BEHIND your hair transplant will recede as normal.
You will then be left with a weird "island" of the transplanted hair, followed by a big bald spot. Some people liken it to having a moustache on the top of your head.

Most, if not all people who had a transplant at NW3, and didn't take finasteride afterwards, come back posting onto this website telling everyone what a mistake it was, and asking if there is any way they can undo the damage so they can shave down without looking like a freak.

Read this topic for more info:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=60432

If you have not finished balding and you want to get a hair transplant, you NEED to be on finasteride or dutasteride, or you will end up disfigured. It has been said time and time again on these boards, and it gets ignored - until it is too late.
Most of the good docs won't operate on you without it, and you'll likely end up getting butchered anyway.

You want to have surgery that will drastically alter your appearance and you haven't even researched the procedures name correctly.
I don't think you're a good hair transplant candidate at all. You might say you want "just 5 years of hair" - what then, in 5 years time, when you look a freak?

Buy a wig mate.

Thanks for the thoughts and info!
Well, I wasnt considering an hair transplant for the front. IF I did go through with it, it would be for the rear where Im starting to thin out and have a bald spot down the road. Since the rear of the head and sides usually remain, couldnt I just fill up the circular spot on top with permanent hair transplant hairs since the hairs around it usually stay anyway, and not worry yet about the front and "receding" ??

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mckenna said:
Thx for the info!
So how can I determine how much donor hair I have? Does it depend on how thick your hair is at the back?

You need to see a dr, preferably SHapiro ( MInnesota) , Feller or H+W to find out how much donor you have

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
HT55. There was nw6 guy who used H&W and they gave him a great result, you can see this guy on their page and youtube. Since he was nw6, than he was probably not taking propecia BUT he did not look like a freak. In fact he looks like a nw2-nw3 after the transplant. And I have talked to alot of people who have more than one hair transplant and don't use propecia...

cuebald

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not saying everyone who gets a hair transplant needs to be on finasteride.
A NW6 has practically finished balding and so doesn't need to be on finasteride, as he'll bald no further.
NW6 getting a hair transplant? no problem (if he thinks he has enough donor)

I'm saying anyone who is NW3 who wants to get a hair transplant needs to be on finasteride, or they need to save enough donor to allow for a second/third procedure.

You hear stories all the time of NW3's going in for hair transplant's saying "oh, I'll get my Doctor to leave me enough donor for my next procedure" - and then the Doctor goes and uses all of the patients donor to make his result look good - come the time for a second procedure, the patient has a huge bald spot and only 1000 grafts left.
It happened to Dudemon....

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
He-Bat said:
And I have talked to alot of people who have more than one hair transplant and don't use propecia...

Good luck with that, talk to them in 5 years and see what they have to say. By that time they will be back here crying.

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
cuebald. I am 28, a nw3, no propecia yet at least and having a hairtransplant soon. Dr. Cole is my doctor and believe it or not, he addressed these issues himself, without me asking. He said that if he used to much donor hair I would have a wierd looking transplant when the rest of my hair will fall out, as he is sure I will develope into a nw5 vertex. He said he only wanted to do 1700-1800 grafts, keep the receding hairline, only add density and only use like 300-400 grafts on the crown, not to use up my donor. That sounded reasonable but now after reading your post I am freaked out, I must admit. :(

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
He-Bat said:
HT55. There was nw6 guy who used H&W and they gave him a great result, you can see this guy on their page and youtube. Since he was nw6, than he was probably not taking propecia BUT he did not look like a freak. In fact he looks like a nw2-nw3 after the transplant. And I have talked to alot of people who have more than one hair transplant and don't use propecia...
t

Bobman and Jotronic are MUCH MORE the exception than the rule.

Remember those guys had way above average donor and also have light hair which is a HUGE advantage over haveing dark hair when it comes to the "see through" look.

It's also possible Joe and Bobman are on propecia, I'm not sure but it would not surprise me

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
He-Bat said:
cuebald. I am 28, a nw3, no propecia yet at least and having a hairtransplant soon. Dr. Cole is my doctor and believe it or not, he addressed these issues himself, without me asking. He said that if he used to much donor hair I would have a wierd looking transplant when the rest of my hair will fall out, as he is sure I will develope into a nw5 vertex. He said he only wanted to do 1700-1800 grafts, keep the receding hairline, only add density and only use like 300-400 grafts on the crown, not to use up my donor. That sounded reasonable but now after reading your post I am freaked out, I must admit. :(

Are you afraid of propecia ? If you get on propecia and rogaine you will probably grow back a lot of hair in 12 months

If you get the hair transplant and get on propecia the hair transplant will look like it grew a lot of the hair you grew back with the drugs

Being virtually bald and geting a hair transplant without propecia is MUCH safer than trying to fill in a Norwood 3 as you have no idea where you will lose the hair next.

Do what you want, IMO you are nuts thinking you can do it without Propecia, even with propecia it's risky

3 -400 grafts in the crown isn't gping to do anything, crowns are a black hole for grafts

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
HT55 said:
He-Bat said:
t

Remember those guys had way above average donor and also have light hair which is a HUGE advantage over haveing dark hair when it comes to the "see through" look.

It's also possible Joe and Bobman are on propecia, I'm not sure but it would not surprise me
Did you read what Cole recommended for me? Is it not reasonable? I am not looking for a nw1 look.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
He-Bat said:
HT55 said:
[quote="He-Bat":wfz8r957]HT55. There was nw6 guy who used H&W and they gave him a great result, you can see this guy on their page and youtube. Since he was nw6, than he was probably not taking propecia BUT he did not look like a freak. In fact he looks like a nw2-nw3 after the transplant. And I have talked to alot of people who have more than one hair transplant and don't use propecia...
t

Did you read what Cole recommended for me? Is it not reasonable? I am not looking for a nw1 look.[/quote:wfz8r957]

I read it and it sounds good except 3 - 400 grafts in your crown isn't going to do anything

Crowns EAT grafts are are commonly reffered to as a black hole for them

If your not going to take the Propecia IMO you should forget the hair transplant

Either way I would go see Ron Shaprio or Feller before getting any work done