Taking Finasteride has destroyed my life

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have keeps brand that’s about to expire soon so I need to find a seller. Keeps is kind of pricy.
Keeps is (or used to) made by Intas, so if you want a more affordable version you may as well just buy Accord.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Het bro. Do u think its worth while to try topical finasteride? Would that make any difference
If you are already on finasteride, then no, being on topical as well is unlikely to make any difference.

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is posts like these that made me go from a full head of hair (although thinning) to a norwood 6 because I was afraid of finasteride sides

Wish I had gotten on Finasteride earlier. What you’re noticing is called obsession with your hairs. At 2 months you will barely start to get a shed going with the weakened follicles shedding to synchronise the anagen cycle with stronger follicle hairs.

Take finasteride for a year then look at your hair. They would’ve become thicker and stronger and you won’t have a bald spot which would’ve appeared if you weren’t on finasteride.

I feel so horrible, because of similar idiotic posts like these, I let myself be influenced, allowed my hairs to be butchered not taking finasteride. How could I be so stupid

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
there are really only two answers. Either he has really strong balding genes or he got really strong upregulation which outweighed the drugs’ benefits. OP should be trying other things aside from 5aris, because if he really is an aggressive balder then those treatments won’t do much. If minoxidil or RU works well for him then chances are finasteride gave him upregulation and he should reduce the dose or drop it. There is also the odd case where some users seem to be very sensitive to T. Has he done blood work

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

(Long Post) Disclaimer: I'm not saying that finasteride is bad for everyone, but in my own anecdotal experience, finasteride has literally destroyed my hair and my confidence. If your planning to take it then know that there is a chance this might happen to you as well.

So i started taking finasteride 1mg EOD since May 2021 (25 Y.O) and my hairline has progressively gone worst. Especially on my right temple. Im not sure why hairloss doesnt progress equally throughout the hairline but it is what it is. (And btw im not stretching my hair with any hairstyle or anything that might pull out my hair)
Anyway I know it works because my hair fall has actually decreased when i wash my hair or comb my hair with my fingers. For the first two months nothing really happened and i was pretty happy seeing that i had less hair fall. (Btw, i have never encountered any sexual sides from finasteride)

But 2 months later i started to see some increased recession on my hairline. It was getting visibly thinner and the bald spot is growing at a pretty fast rate. But the interesting thing is that there is no SHEDDING, just increased miniaturization and recession.

Fast forward to Nov-Sep and my balding spot on my right temple as grown to about 3X4cm. I started to panic and my self confidence was really hitting rock bottom. (Btw at this point i was already on MIN for 1yr plus, didnt seem to do much after a few months)

So i started to google and search for answers and someone suggested that it could be that I was having a BAD batch of finasteride. Because literally i could not find any research article that says that finasteride would cause hair to recede faster. Also, i ruled out the classical case of reflex hyper androgenicity since I wasnt experiencing any shedding, increased acne or scalp burning sensation.

At this point I was using the STERCIA brand which i found out wasnt a very well known brand. So i switched to the brand name Propercia during Dec 21 and after 2 weeks my hairline started to thicken! This was the first time that i actually seen some improvement in my hairloss and i was like this is it!!! The reason finasteride is killing my hair was because i received a bad batch of finasteride!!! (Btw i also added some other stuff like Nutrafol n Revita shampoo)

But freakin hell after around 2-3months of decent run, my hairline started to recede again. And the worst thing is that i didnt change any of my regiment recently (in fact i was still on that same batch of finasteride that i got from my Doctor on Dec)

Now my balding spot has grown increasing in size to around 4X4cm and honestly its been killing me. I have zero self confidence in my self i feel depressed like sh*t. I cant even talk to girls and i think i will die by my lonely self.
I have thought about some theories to explain what's happening to me:
  1. My hairline is genetically prone to T in my scalp in addition to DHT. Since finasteride causes a spike in scalp T, it causes the hair in my hairline to die off even tho my DHT is lowered. (But it doesnt really make sense since DHT is more potent than T)
  2. The brand name Propercia somehow also doesnt work and i might have to change to another brand (highly doubt it since im from sg and the healthcare system is pretty good here)
  3. Somehow my hairloss isnt AAP and something else is causing my hair to fall out. (The chances of this are slim since my hair is receding at the hairline and i dont have any diffused thinning or anything. Altho the majority of my hairloss is in my right temple as compared to the left)
  4. It could be that my hair is just genetically prone to hairloss and finasteride isnt strong enough to suppress it (I highly doubt so because I wasnt losing hair to this extent before i started. My hairline was quite stable for a long time altho i was seeing increase hairfall)
  5. I have thyroid or vitamin deficiencies (Not v likely since my hairloss is not diffuse but have AAP patterns. And i am on Nutrafol)
Anyway, now that i have taken finasteride for almost 1 yr. I can be certain that finasteride is definitely wracking my hair. But the sad thing is that I cant stop because there is a high chance that if i stop then i would lose my hair even more due to DHT. So i am literally fked.

If there was ever a chance that i can go back and not take finasteride i would pay anything to do it. But i guess by sharing this it helps if there are ppl in similar situation as i am or those that are thinking of starting finasteride can reconsider.

Moving forward i think i would gradually lower my does of finasteride to 0.5mg EOD n see if it helps. I've also added stemoxydine to my regiment and i am starting oral min. I've also ordered RU58841 but i am hesitant to use it due to its shady safety profile.

Anyway now i am legit depressed and i hate my life. I dont know how i am able to continue like this and its killing my self confidence and self worth.
If you are able to help me figure out why and reverse my hairloss it would literally SAVE MY LIFE

If you dont believe what im saying pls look at my photos:
TLDR: finasteride made my hair worst and i dont know why

Welcome to the club mate. Unfortunately there's many people who have had worsening on Finasteride and judging by the pictures, it's not in your mind.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Link? I have one more container with 90 pills and I only take 3x. A week. So maybe down the line
Ok, no problem (Coated finasteride will be good for well over 5 years+ so its not like its suddenly going to expire)

Just for the Info if anyone is interested:

Keep's used to use Intas when they first started,

finasteride-90tab.jpg

Intas also make Accord and a bunch of others.

finasteride-30tab.jpg

They have also used Alkem Laboratories at some stage.

keeps.png

Alkem Laboratories also make Ascend

alkem.png

The point is Keep's is not a manufacturer, they are just reseller of rebranded products.

So they will swap to whichever supplier gives them the best price.

Keeps is kind of pricy.

Just check what it says on your container, and see who it says they are using now, if you see another brand of finasteride using the same manufacturer as keep's current one, but a lower price, it's likely to be the same product.

Last edited: