Taking Finasteride 2 times a day

deth

Reaction score
I thought of taking finasteride 2 times a day (1/4 proscar).
Because of the short half-life (6-8h) of the drug and the fact that
a higher dosage to be swallowed at the same time isn't (much) more effective
I think that taking 2x 1 mg - one in the mornings/ another evenings should be more effective.

Any experiences ?

beaner

Reaction score
I dose of finasteride per day will lower your DHT by 70% (or whatever the amt is) shortly after ingestion and the levels will remain there for a couple days before slowly increasing regardless any drug in your system. Taking finasteride twice per day will accomplish nothing extra. The half life has nothing to do with it's effectiveness, but rather the slow regeneration of the 5ar enzyme which keeps the need to take the drug to once a day, and possibly even less. If you do a bit of a search you can conceivably find dozens of threads on this matter.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I take it twice a day, 1/4 in AM and 1/4 in PM, just started doing it a few month's. I will update with any progress. Good luck to you

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think taking this much may induce side effects, I can't even take more than 1/5th a day!

Good Luck!

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I think you're just wasting money...

I think once you take the first mg or 1.25mg you should be fine for the day...

I'm no expert though...

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
You may be right but I did notice that toward the end of the day I got my itch back and after taking the PM dose it went away within the hour, maybe coincidence,I don't know.

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
The half-life of propecia is only about 6 hours, and I highly doubt it's linear. I suppose if you have a really high metabolism, you could take more than the prescribed 1mg dose of finasteride, but I would think this would only increase the probability of side effects.

NYVic20

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys, half life doesn't mean that you just times it by 2 and thats the actual amount of time that a drug stays in your system. Like someone mentioned before its not linear. Finasteride, I believe can stay up two days in your system. In addition, It also takes a couple of days, before more 5AR 2 can be produced, so It wouldn't make a difference. Still, if you wanted to go that route, I would suggest taking .5mg twice a day, as opposed to 1mg, since its been shown .5mg is just as effective.

deth

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't think that a dose of up to 5 mg will cause more side effects,
if you tolerate 1mg per day very well. Maybe I start 2x 1.25 mg
proscar or a full 5 mg proscar a day.

PropeciaJunkie said:
I take it twice a day, 1/4 in AM and 1/4 in PM, just started doing it a few month's. I will update with any progress. Good luck to you

Thanks that would be nice.
Good luck as well.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
NYVic20 said:
Finasteride, I believe can stay up two days in your system.

I think a good general rule-of-thumb to use is that finasteride levels in your blood drop by an order of magnitude every day after the last dose. For example, after you reach a peak an hour or two after you take a dose, 24 hours after THAT there is only 1/10 as much, another 24 hours later there is only 1/100 as much, another 24 hours later only 1/000 as much, and so on.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
deth said:
I don't think that a dose of up to 5 mg will cause more side effects...

I don't see anything special about the 5 mg/day dose, which I consider to be fairly arbitrary. The maximum dose which I personally would consider taking is probably around 20 mg/day.

deth

Reaction score
Then one could also take 5mg twice a day. I think I'll do the 2x 2.5 mg
a day which is also arbitrary but not that expensive. It's al little creepy
but I think I have to try... :shock:

IBM

Reaction score
deth said:
Then one could also take 5mg twice a day. I think I'll do the 2x 2.5 mg
a day which is also arbitrary but not that expensive. It's al little creepy
but I think I have to try... :shock:

you should take dutasteride instead...

phish

Established Member
Reaction score
problem with dutasteride is for me is it reduces type 1 dht and i don't want that. so the closest thing i guess u can get to dutasteride in terms of reducing type 2 dht is take proscar 3-5 times a day. what we need is a safe way to reduce 100 percent of type 2 dht while leaving type 1 intact.