Taking a finasteride break for trying for baby

smallboy69

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, generally had no issues with finasteride and have seen some results particularly around my crown. Been on finasteride for about a year taking 1mg every other day.

Reason for the post is after reading around I've decided to take a break because me and my wife are going to try for a baby. Have asked my GP about been on finasteride whilst trying, they said that there is no evidence of potential harm to the baby but some evidence in changes to sperm. So decided to stop for peace of mind.

Question is, what can I expect in terms of losing new hair that has built up over the last year? Can I come off for a month or two with no difference or should I expect some loss pretty quickly?

Much appreciated

Chris2000

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, generally had no issues with finasteride and have seen some results particularly around my crown. Been on finasteride for about a year taking 1mg every other day.

Reason for the post is after reading around I've decided to take a break because me and my wife are going to try for a baby. Have asked my GP about been on finasteride whilst trying, they said that there is no evidence of potential harm to the baby but some evidence in changes to sperm. So decided to stop for peace of mind.

Question is, what can I expect in terms of losing new hair that has built up over the last year? Can I come off for a month or two with no difference or should I expect some loss pretty quickly?

Much appreciated
I have also heard that hairloss can start again after about a month. Ive been on finasteride for about 8 months, and now I have been on a break for a few days.... I was still losing while I was on finasteride though. But anyways the last two months I have noticed changes in my semen too, it seems a little thinner and clearer and it doesnt come out as forcefully... but to be on the safe side I have stopped taking because i think my gf is pregnant. Not confirmed yet but looking pretty likely. I am still going to keep up my other preventative measures, but I just want to be extra careful because i know it can be dangerous to expose pregnant women to those medications, especially early on, and if the baby is a boy.

dodgePT

My Regimen
Reaction score
What @5minutesbeforemiracle said.
You're safe.
Hairloss takes a long time to resume once you drop treatments, it took 1 year for me to notice.
You are wise dropping treatments to have a baby, but just FYI, i had the good news, without warning, taking finasteride, just 3 months after my wife dropped the pill.
My daughter is healthy, beautiful and smart, just as I imagined she would be, all while I was on finasteride. My wife dropped the pill without warning me but we still had a healthy baby.
I'm not saying you shouldn't drop your treatment, because, just to make sure, you should.
But this is my testimony, take it as you will.
I hope you have the healthiest and most beautiful baby ever, it's the most wonderful thing there is and the most hardest thing at the same time.
You'll miss those early days and that baby smell.

Best of luck to you, start saving for baby dippers!

5minutesbeforemiracle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What @5minutesbeforemiracle said.
You're safe.
Hairloss takes a long time to resume once you drop treatments, it took 1 year for me to notice.
You are wise dropping treatments to have a baby, but just FYI, i had the good news, without warning, taking finasteride, just 3 months after my wife dropped the pill.
My daughter is healthy, beautiful and smart, just as I imagined she would be, all while I was on finasteride. My wife dropped the pill without warning me but we still had a healthy baby.
I'm not saying you shouldn't drop your treatment, because, just to make sure, you should.
But this is my testimony, take it as you will.
I hope you have the healthiest and most beautiful baby ever, it's the most wonderful thing there is and the most hardest thing at the same time.
You'll miss those early days and that baby smell.

Best of luck to you, start saving for baby dippers!
It seems like, anecdotally, most guys on finasteride have daughters instead of sons. This is just what I've noticed on forums...

Adamovsky

My Regimen
Reaction score
I recently read an article related to stopping treatment for trying for a baby.