T-gel calms by seb derm....but there are cancer risks?????

Reaction score
Hello all, I have seb dermatitis. I have used several shampoos, T-sal doesn't stop the itch, Head and Shoulders or anything with zinc for that matter burns my scalp, selenium sulfide found in selsun blue does have hairloss side effects. I use nizoral 2wice a week, it works great. I was using T-gel containing coal tar for a while and my scalp felt awesome. No itch, burning, irritation, etc. However i recenlty came across the article regarding its cancer causing agents. Do need to worry about these, if i don't use this shampoo what should i do? Scalp health is very important i feel when it comes to minimizing further hairloss when one has male pattern baldness. Thanks for any help!!!

Britannia

Reaction score
In the UK, T/Gel now contains Salicylic Acid instead of coal tar. You can still buy T/Gel with coal tar though - its a different coloured bottle to regular T/Gel. Coal tar is thoughout to be carcinogenic.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes there is some evidence coal tar is carcinogenic.

However the fact that T Gel is still on sale suggests the risk is not that great or that the evidence is not exactly clear cut.

I'd suggest doing a little research of your own and then decide for yourself whether to use T Gel or not.

phantom2x

Established Member
Reaction score
iam going through a vary bad itchy scalp with red and dry flakes .it is killing me. been on propocia for a 10 month now. is any one knows the cure. it will help.