systemic absorption, how do I avoid it?

l3sstalkmor3rock

Reaction score
I began taking rogaine for about two to three weeks and in that time, I noticed some minor hairs regrowing at the temple areas. I was very excited about this as I began getting side effects from taking propecia. yeah, not gonna keep that up. a week later on the rogaine, I noticed that I was getting a little heavier. specifically 6lbs with no change in diet. I looked around and read up on some stuff concerning rogaine and a rapid weight gain.

apparently because of "systemic absorption", I decided to drop rogaine as well and hopefully maintain the rest w/ my folligen spray. a week went by and all that weight went away and all is back to normal.

he issue is that I'd really like to keep on taking the rogaine as a growth inhibitor but I'm wondering if there are any steps I can take to prevent the systemic absorption? please let me know!

Justlooking

Established Member
Reaction score
negative, has to be absorbed by the skin to be effective and the side affect is that it gets in the blood and carried throughout the body.

SE-freak

Reaction score
l3sstalkmor3rock said:
he issue is that I'd really like to keep on taking the rogaine as a growth inhibitor
:shock:

but I'm wondering if there are any steps I can take to prevent the systemic absorption? please let me know!

Do not apply rogaine on a damp scalp(after shower), do not scratch, do not bite your fingernails, use only dropper as the applicator, stick to 1ml per dose only twice per day, wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
l3sstalkmor3rock said:
he issue is that I'd really like to keep on taking the rogaine as a growth inhibitor
:shock:

but I'm wondering if there are any steps I can take to prevent the systemic absorption? please let me know!

Do not apply rogaine on a damp scalp(after shower), do not scratch, do not bite your fingernails, use only dropper as the applicator, stick to 1ml per dose only twice per day, wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.

I agree 100 percent. Make sure your scalp is completely dry, blow dry it if you must. Otherwise any remaining water, like a stream or river, carries the minoxidil, and makes it more accessible to undesirable places. I learned this lesson the hard way. :)

Norwood2.5

Established Member
Reaction score
l3sstalkmor3rock said:
specifically 6lbs with no change in diet. I looked around and read up on some stuff concerning rogaine and a rapid weight gain.
Well, they do advise you to stop in that case. As has been said already, has to be absorbed by the skin to be effective and the side affect is that it gets in the blood and carried throughout the body. So I'd say, proceed at own risk, if you don't have any problem with some weight gain, either stop or go ahead but know that there's a warning to stop.

Justlooking

Established Member
Reaction score
you guys are on crack, it has to be absorbed by the skin to be effective and in doing so will get into the blood stream.