System Colour Fade/ Hold - How do systems survive the heat? - help appreciated :)

uk2usa

Reaction score
Hi All

I have recently moved from a cool climate to a hot climate.

Brief system description if this helps... full topper, full lace base, light/med density, short hair - 2 inches, dark brown colour with 20% grey to blend with natural grey. (Will be getting first system in the next 3 weeks)

I have a couple of questions if you can help out with some advice that would be great!

I am new to hair systems but have found answers to a lot of questions through the other posts which are really helpful but there's some which are playing on my mind...

*I have been warned the sun can effect the colour of the system and make it fade, now living in a hot climate with direct sun and high temperatures how can I best preserve the colour of the system without wearing a hat or colouring? Is there a specific product which any of you have found successful in keeping the colour with direct sun? leave in conditioners (will this breakdown a bond?) I would prefer not to colour however If colouring is inevitable what types of colours do people use for best results i.e. permanent or semi permanent's etc? and do you colour all your own hair plus the systems hair?

*Is it best to avoid the sun like not sunbathing etc to help with the attachment - I have the problem a lot of guys have in sweating through my scalp, therefore have gone for a lace system for breath-ability. I would like to get the max hold (well 2 weeks will be fine if can reach that long) and am aware this is trial and error - So cutting to the chase how do systems survive the hot climate best?

* Im mid 20's and have light density of hair at the sides and light/medium density at the back - is a light to medium density the best option or would light be more suitable for a realistic look? My concern with just light would be that the system may wear out and look thin on top relatively quickly, am planning to change a system every 3 months...

* Products - What products do you guys recommend to style your hair - can this be any high street brand or do you have to use a specific type with ingredients that don't break down attachments? like hairspray I'm guessing is a no-goer?

Any help will be great!

All the best

UK2USA

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Prolonged exposure to strong sun will hasten a colour change as pigment is lost through oxidation.

There are a range of products (shampoos, conditioners, sealers, sprays etc) sold as slowing this process down. Other options are regularly replacing your piece or headgear.

You can try a longer hold product or a scalp protector. As a new wearer, I'd suggest experimenting and see what works best for your body chemistry.

There is no universal density scale. Its best to opt for a unit that 10% lighter than the hair you have on your side and back to look most natural. It should be fine for 3-months.

You can use any styling products, but Im sure everyone has their favourites

madadi

Reaction score
Grincher would like to know more about your supplier of systems. I read a ton on this website but I a not able to send you PMs even though I decided to finally make an account. Had a few questions still. I never wore a system before but after 10 years of shaving my head I am ready

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi Madadi, let me know what you need to know.

In the past I have used a few suppliers including North West, but without doubt my favourite on hair and base quality is a UK company.