Swoop Or Other Experts, Please Read This Indomethacin Question

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wanted to reach out to any of you that are more experienced in the science of all this. Several years ago I tested indomethacin topically all over my scalp. Within 2 days my shedding had been reduced 95%. It had virtually stopped. Needless to say I was ecstatic.

Unfortunately over the next week and a half I began to get scalp irritation. It was a Non-Stop itch that only affected the back of my head. Not only that after about 3 weeks on it my hair seem to be getting lighter and thinner.

I was hoping someone on this forum can explain why it works so well to stop the loss but didn't seem to help the thickness or to keep my hair dark. Iron dragon no longer sells that product.

I believe indomethacin was the only thing I've ever tried that halted hair loss almost instantly. It's just those damn side effects were the only reason I stopped.

Does anybody know how indomethacin causes hair loss to stop?
Does anyone know by what mechanism it causes hair to look worse and get thin?
And finally does anyone know of any other substance that would produce indomethacin like effects but maybe not cause such harm to existing hair or to the scalp?

I'd really like to try it again because I feel it would help me retain my hair but I just need to know why was weakening the hair at the same time so that maybe I can counter balance that effect with something else.
Please if anyone has any personal stories on indomethacin or suggestions on its use reply to this thread so I can understand more of what was going on. Thank you

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wanted to reach out to any of you that are more experienced in the science of all this. Several years ago I tested indomethacin topically all over my scalp. Within 2 days my shedding had been reduced 95%. It had virtually stopped. Needless to say I was ecstatic.

Unfortunately over the next week and a half I began to get scalp irritation. It was a Non-Stop itch that only affected the back of my head. Not only that after about 3 weeks on it my hair seem to be getting lighter and thinner.

I was hoping someone on this forum can explain why it works so well to stop the loss but didn't seem to help the thickness or to keep my hair dark. Iron dragon no longer sells that product.

I believe indomethacin was the only thing I've ever tried that halted hair loss almost instantly. It's just those damn side effects were the only reason I stopped.

And finally does anyone know of any other substance that would produce indomethacin like effects but maybe not cause such harm to existing hair or to the scalp?

I'd really like to try it again because I feel it would help me retain my hair but I just need to know why was weakening the hair at the same time so that maybe I can counter balance that effect with something else.
Please if anyone has any personal stories on indomethacin or suggestions on its use reply to this thread so I can understand more of what was going on. Thank you

Also wanted to ask if anyone knows why indomethacin fell out of favor and isnt talked about anymore. It really was almost a miracle drug in my opinion

valy

Reaction score

Well,i've had the same experience like you last year.Indomethacin stopped my hair loss but my hair thinned.The explanation is this: Indomethacin inhibits prostaglandins,both pgd2 and pge2- the cox-2 way.When inhibits pgd2,it s a good thing because pgd2 is higher in mens with male pattern baldness and causes inflammation(dht is signaling pgd2).But it s inhibiting also pge2 wich is a bad thing becsuse pge2 promotes hair growth and your hair nedd pge2 for healthy growth,thickness and cycles.So,that s it! Sry for mai bad english

valy

Reaction score
I have tried everything that you can imagine.Propecia,ru,spironolactone,flutamide and others antiandrogens didnt work for me and made my hair loss worse.This prostaglandins proticol is the only one that is working.I think Costarelis is in on the right direction.I am from Romania and here you can buy anything from drug store without prescription.That helps a lot:)

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Valy, What is the protaglandin protocol? Is that Indomethacin? Corialis? Can you please explain?

valy

Reaction score
First off all,sry for my english.Second...you can read on forums aboud prostaglandins pdotocol,about dr.Costarelis research and about swisstemples who i think was the first one who used this regime and growing hairs from bald spots

valy

Reaction score
It's a little bit complicated this regime but i am using now the ghetto protocol wich is easier to obtain and this is the first step.It is very cheap and is working.

yellowbluegrey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's a little bit complicated this regime but i am using now the ghetto protocol wich is easier to obtain and this is the first step.It is very cheap and is working.
Hey man, how long did the ghetto protocol take to start working? I'm taking Castor oil oral and topical, stemoxydine, weekly wounding, as well as minoxidil and finasteride

valy

Reaction score
Hi!Well,i quit propecia in the begining of march this year because it was destroing my hairline and since then i'm using this protocol.I am seeing hairs pop up on my hairline where it were 2years ago.What i am using: for pgd2-hydrocortisone cream(EOD),antihistsmine cream(cetirizine or other cream),psoriasis cream(il-6 blocker),black cumin oil(nigella sativa-blocks pgd2).For pge2-oral and topical castor oil mixed with rosemary(it also good for pge2),sulfasalazine(1g),dermarolling 1.5mm every 2weeks,miconazole(increase pge1) and every other day i m using a topical wich contains caffeine,thyme oil,lavender,msm,taurine,zinc,b6.And something very important i think...when i wash my hair,after shampoo,i use acv on my scalp for clean up my pores from so many topicals.Since using acv,my hair grows faster.This is working for me.I do not guarantee for others

valy

Reaction score
Ohh...and vitamin d3 suplement wich decrease inflammation and citokynes in this pgd2 chain,from the recent studies.

kawnshawn

Established Member
Reaction score
Indomethacin stops hair loss by inhibiting COX-1and COX-2 which in turn stops prostaglandins. The problem is that it also stops pge2 which is needed for hair growth. So while it might stop shedding (stopping PGD2) its probably not good in the long run. Furthermore there are a bunch of side effects that can occur while taking it but the chances are probably lower if you're doing it topically.
I've heard before that ID indo solution contained DMSO which might of caused the irritation.

Your best bet is to try seti or OC topically to help stop shedding and add PGE2 topically for regrowth. I've been on OC for a month and its definitely helped slow down shedding but I think PGE2 is really needed to help seal the deal. I'm pretty sure Dr.Costarelis said that balding scalps have lower pge2 than non-balding which is another angle.

NormanNorwood

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Indomethacin stops hair loss by inhibiting COX-1and COX-2 which in turn stops prostaglandins. The problem is that it also stops pge2 which is needed for hair growth. So while it might stop shedding (stopping PGD2) its probably not good in the long run. Furthermore there are a bunch of side effects that can occur while taking it but the chances are probably lower if you're doing it topically.
I've heard before that ID indo solution contained DMSO which might of caused the irritation.

Your best bet is to try seti or OC topically to help stop shedding and add PGE2 topically for regrowth. I've been on OC for a month and its definitely helped slow down shedding but I think PGE2 is really needed to help seal the deal. I'm pretty sure Dr.Costarelis said that balding scalps have lower pge2 than non-balding which is another angle.

How are you finding OC? I'm lead to believe it's stronger and cheaper then Seti? Do you apply topically or orally? I'm intrigued to try but find there is very limited information out there about it.

kawnshawn

Established Member
Reaction score
How are you finding OC? I'm lead to believe it's stronger and cheaper then Seti? Do you apply topically or orally? I'm intrigued to try but find there is very limited information out there about it.
I got mine from kane for $200 a gram. Cheapest I can find. Gonna try to get an NMR done on the next gram I get.