Switching From Topical To Oral Minoxidil

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You need Prescription for oral minoxidil in USA.
Other countries not so much. I’ll give you clue Thailand. No you don’t have to go there.
Let me address the thinning/ receding hair issue.
Topical minoxidil you get at drugstore is not minoxidil that grows hair. They don’t tell you that.
I’ve read the studies. Like all of you I tried minoxidil spray, foam, added ingredients up until I did the research.. This minoxidil didn’t do much, basically useless. WHY? Minoxidil Sulfate grows hair. Upjohn for some reason developed plain minoxidil to be sprayed on scalp, then if your one of 30% of males who has the right scalp enzymes this plain minoxidil is converted to minoxidil Sulfate which clinical studies show grow hair. What happen if you don’t have right enzymes? You are out of luck. There is no common test or it’s not publicized to make this determination beforehand.
So all the spraying/foaming can be useless.
I then purchased minoxidil Sulfate and after using it for few weeks noticed hair regrowth.. for me much better than plain minoxidil. In USA you need prescription.
Now after I finally got some results I studied the problem more intensely.
I had an acquaintance who was transsexual tell me about medications they use.. Since this person was getting complements from women about thick, long glowing hair I listened.
Turns out they use two categories of drugs.
They don’t use minoxidil.
They first use androgen blockers to block male hormones. Second estrogen for female curves etc.
I’m not interested in estrogen except to say for women estrogen protects their hair & is a phenomenal growth factor. I suppose if someone developed an estrogen spray it might be helpful.
But the point is, in order for these compounds to be effective they are takin orally.
Next anti-androgen pills.
If you are losing your hair you must take some anti androgen supplement.
You can start with herbal formulations which I have, which will soften coarser hair.
This is a start.
Oral minoxidil is a game changer. At 10 mg you shouldn’t be stopped by these dire side effects nay sayers keeping stating.. If you had severe hypertension your dose would be many multiples higher. I was encouraged by watching video by Dr
David Lim. I recommend .. He states that he used topical minoxidil for 25 years... and recently started oral minoxidil 2/3 mg.. Also finesteride.
I’m going to write him & say your on right track.
Duasteride blocks 2 male enzymes while finestiride only one. Spirolactone is another blocker, usually prescribed for woman. This is the general protocol...
Next, the new treatments besides the above..
For my reading their seems to be promise in WNT compounds.. The original is unavailable in clinical studies. So I was able to get a similar formulation which I will test..
Conclusion, My hair is growing back. Since it has started I realized how much has receded and thinned... if you are serious you have to block androgens in your system.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dr L video was interesting. Low dose oral minoxidil does seem to be getting popular.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ok I read most of these posts... I have tried every possible treatment... There is no magic bullet... Most of the folklore treatments are basically useless.. Let me save you a lot of time.. I started oral minoxidil 10 mg this is below the suggested dose for patients with hypertension.. It is a very small white pill but it is true it can upset stomach & be felt hours after taking. I suggest taking it first thing in AM with something else to mask the taste.
I noticed thickening of hair right away in hairline & sides, for that matter all over. This is something a topical application can’t do. I also take spirolactone which is very gentle to tolerate. This cuts down androgen effects in body.. No you won’t turn into a women, but you will have less acne and thicker hair. I also take some herbs to lessen androgens and hair vitamin pill.. My hair is thickening and I hope it continues. If you search online, you can get supplied.

its clear that Spirnolactone is magic for hairs, it kills testo and dht in 1 shot. but at what price ? if the common side effect of finasteride (that only inihbit 70% of dht but still regular testosterone ) is impotence and decreased libido can you imagine the sexual effects of having no testosterone and dht in your body? i wont become impotent for a f*****g hairline.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
there is a study where with regular application of topical minoxidil 5% twice a day in the blood there is 5mg of minoxidil. so if you want better results with the oral pill you should try at least 10mg. not something healthy, especially for your heart i imagine. you wil need also to take a diuretic which is not good for the renal function.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dr L video was interesting. Low dose oral minoxidil does seem to be getting popular.
Yes, I watch his videos on latest in lasers, and skin treatments. He just happened to talk about hair so I thought I’d suggest him.
When he started to agree with what I found, I got some validation.
Hair loss is an inexact science. It’s clear the advice
is inadequate. But I believe and see it IS possible to restart thickening and regrowth. That’s the good news!

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah ive been using oral minoxidil for exactly a year now because the foam lost efficacy. It gave me a 6 month reboost but it also lost effectiveness. Whilst its working, I respond brilliantly to minoxidil. Its the only treatment that works for me and without it, id be fully bald already. As it is, i started balding at 17 and im a norwood 2 now at 21, just hoping i can hold on until the next treatment. I keep using it just to avoid a big synchronous shed.
Hey! I'm on 2.5mg at night right now. I see a lot of people talking about taking 2x a day. What's are you on right now (2.5 or 5 mg)? are you taking 1x or 2x a day?

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m on 1.25mg oral minoxidil daily. We’ll see how that goes :)

Coupled with daily 1mm needling I have moderate hopes! Heck even if I can arrest hairloss or slow it down even more I’d be happy.

If I can stop it I’d definitely get another hair transplant.