Switching From Saw Palmetto To Finasteride?

CJ97

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. I have been taking saw palmetto 320mg for over a year now. It isnt doing anything for my thinning hairline. I have finasteride in my hands right now. But should i ease off of saw palmetto before i start finasteride? If so, how long should i wait for my body to be okay when taking finasteride?

I have heard of stories of people going straight onto finasteride while they were using saw palmetto for long periods of time before hand after only giving up saw palmetto for a week or so. And their hormones got completely screwed up and they became suicidal and depressed. Is this likely to happen?

Inigo1202

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, it's not even remotely likely to happen. Finasteride is not that powerful; people take 5mg to take the prostate disease it was designed for. Your dose is just 1 mg. And you can actually take 0.5 mg and have almost the same effects.

Don't worry about it. If your doctor has prescribed you Finasteride, take it.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can't imagine why that would happen. Saw Palmetto isn't even that strong. I'm currently taking 300mg Saw Palmetto and 2mg finasteride with no side effects.

Inigo1202

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Start taking 0.5 mg of Finasteride for some weeks. If you do not see any side effects, you can do 1 mg after 1-2 months. Still, 0.5 is almost as effective. The thing with 1 mg is that is the dose used for 99% of the studies done on Finas.

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Start taking 0.5 mg of Finasteride for some weeks. If you do not see any side effects, you can do 1 mg after 1-2 months. Still, 0.5 is almost as effective. The thing with 1 mg is that is the dose used for 99% of the studies done on Finas.
And even .25 is like 80% as good as 1mg. which for a lot of people is fine. In Korea they prescribe that dosage regularly.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I took saw palmetto for like 9 months, it did nothing, like I was taking a sugar pill.

I wish it was effective like finasteride, but unfortunately it is not.