Switching from Propecia to Avodart?

blondguy

Reaction score
I am 28 years old, and trying to decide if I should switch medications. I have been talking Propecia since last Feb. At the time I had a very thick head of hair, minus some hairloss on the temples, corners of my hairline. Since then every month has shown a stead increase in the amount of hair coming out and the speed in which it is falling out.

Today my hair is MUCH thinner then it use to be, gets greasy quite easily. The hair loss on the hairline has increased to the point where its very obvious its receding. (I am probably very close to not being able to pull off the trick of covering up that receding in the front with longish hair and will have to cut it soon.

I also have wide spaces between my parts and the start of what seems to be a bald spot in the back of my head forming on one of these parts. I know I am not bald yet, but I know whats coming and what to do the best I can to combat it. Propecia does not show any signs that its working.

Does anyone have any experience with Avodart, as I am trying to get as much info as I can if I should make this switch.

Other things I am doing for hair loss:

1. Taking 3200 mcg of Biotin daily.
2. Use Nizoral twice week.
3. Eat lots of Broccoli
4. TRY to sleep well
5. Regular exercise

M_Dorsey

Reaction score
As for avodart, it has a strikingly similar safety profile as finasteride with better effects in terms of hair counts. This being said, you should be able to buy yourself some more time.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
but Dutasteride has greater potential for side effects.

still you've only been on finasteride for less than a year - I'd give it more time

abcdefg

Reaction score
If your using finasteride there is nothing more you can do. The addition of more things like eating broccoli is not going to make any real difference. I would like to see studies showing androgen levels on different diets just to see how big an impact if any a diet can make I suspect very little if any.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
avodart is not sold at a 2.5mg dose -- it would be better if they did though. why do they only sell it as 0.5mg?

Because of it's potency? Maybe ..

WestEast

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on Avodart for slightly over a month now and I've not seen any side effects (didn't get any on Propecia either).
dutswi2.png

Last edited: