Switching from Minoxidil to Finasteride

Tuna83

Reaction score
Hello to everyone,
I am new to his forum and I would appreciate your opinion to my case.

After 5 years of using Minoxidil which maintained a decent amount of hair on my head I want to switch to finasteride.
I know that Minoxidil and Finasteride work in a different way and I read that when switching from Minoxidil to Finasteride one would probably lose all hair that Minoxidil had maintained. However, I also read in a dermatologist publication that people switching from minoxidil to finasteride should very slowly reduce minoxidil application within 6 months whilst taking finasteride to avoid a heavy hairloss. This gives hope that at least a part of the hair maintained by minoxidil can also be maintained by finasteride.

I would like to know if there is anybody here who has switched from minoxidil to finasteride before and could tell of his experience?

My story and why I want to switch:

With 22 years (2006) I started to recognize my receding hairline. About 1.5 years later in June 2007 I was around a Norwood 1.5 - 2 and started using about 0.5ml Minoxidil 5% on my temples once a day. I didnt experience any shedding nor regrowth. Within the 5 years of use my hair slowly thinned to a Norwood 2 maybe, so I thought the minoxidil actually doesnt work but I kept using it to have the feeling of doing "something" against my hairloss. This year I recognised in a hard way that minoxidil actually did maintain quite a lot of hair.

Why I want to quit: 2-3 months after I started minoxidil I experienced weak errections which got worse with time. I never attributed it to minoxidil, however in the beginning of this year I got suspiciuos and searched in the internet - there were quite some poeple experiencing the same. It seems to be a rare side effect but it happens. I quit minoxidil cold turkey and within 2-4 weeks my erections got hard as rock again and also my libido increased a lot. I was happy to finally have solved this problem that had been troubeling me five years.

However the bad surprise was yet to come. 2.5 months after I quit the biggest shed of my life started at the beginning of last June. Temples got quickly deeper and thinner. And it is still shedding now, 2.5 months after it started. At the beginning of the shed I was very worried and started minoxidil again (5% 1x a day), but the side effects came back quickly so I lowered the dose, right now I am at 2% once a day. Side effects got better with the lower dose but did not go away completely.
The restart of minoxidil brought some (but little) hair in the temples back and somehow stabilised it there. However, I am shedding heavily in the middle front/top of my head. Since some weeks I have a heavy itching in those areas which is of course from the shed. Last week I recognised that under some light, I can see my scalp in those areas which was never like that before. I think minoxidil maintained the hair there all those years, and now I am losing it because I am down to 2%. Right now I became something between Norwood 2 and 3 with things worsening every week.

At the moment I am really worried about my hair which I love and I want to maintain what I can. In the long term I want to switch to finasteride. I started taking 0.5mg/day 2 weeks ago. The itching and shedding has not stopped so far.

Any idea when I can expect the shedding to end? Can it be helpful to go back to 5% minoxidil, sustain the side effects, regrow as much as possible and then very slowly reduce minoxidil application whilst taking finasteride?
Better get on 1mg of finasteride instead of 0.5 right now?
People who have experience in switching from minoxidil to finasteride, in quitting minoxidil or can give any other hint please comment.

I am grateful for any answer.

Tuna

Tuna83

Reaction score
I dont know, but so far it is even not known how minoxidil works on the hair. It seems to be a rare effect but if you want to read more about it you can have a look here: http://www.regrowshair.com/general-...ons/does-minoxidil-cause-sexual-side-effects/

However at the moment I am more worried about my hair..

Philly78

Reaction score
I dont know, but so far it is even not known how minoxidil works on the hair. It seems to be a rare effect but if you want to read more about it you can have a look here: http://www.regrowshair.com/general-...ons/does-minoxidil-cause-sexual-side-effects/

However at the moment I am more worried about my hair..

I'm having a hard time believing this. I just had an appointement with my doctor today and talked about it and he told me he has never heard anything about minoxidil and such sides.

How can applying minoxidil to your scalp give you a weak erection?

Tuna83

Reaction score
Philly, as I said it is very rare so you dont need to worry. However it is not in my imagination I can assure you.
Minoxidil was initially developed as an antihypertensive, which are known to be able to cause erectily dysfunction and even decrease of libido in some cases.
Here is what an urologist said:
"MINOXIDIL (active ingredient in rogaine) does in fact cause sexual side effects.
LET ME EXPLAIN WHY:
Minoxidil is a vascular dilator. During a normal erection, the tunica and base of penis is constricted in a way not to allow blood to flow out. Minoxidil causes blood not to be able to stay in penis because it dilates the base of penis. This results in impotence or temporary erectile dysfunction.
SO YES, MINOXIDIL DOES CAUSE ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION.
-Source : I am a Urologist with over 11 years of experience."

However, if you ask me, the reason is something different since just very little of minoxidil should be absorbed by the bloodstream which shouldnt be able to cause such effects. Also, there are stories about guys who havent recovered after more than 1 year after stopping. Nobody knows how Minoxidil works so nobody can exclude such side effects.

Well I dont want to make this thread just dealing with the sexual side effects minoxidil can cause. I experienced them and anyway I am taking it right now at a lower dose.
I am far more worried about my hair at the moment so hopefully some people can give me some advise..

ShedMaster

Reaction score
I would add finasteride to your arsenal and keep the minoxidil. Not sure if you use foam but you should start if you don't.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride and minoxidil work in different ways and cant be used as replacements for each other. since you began taking minoxidil some time ago its likely your hair is highly dependant on it now. imo if you replace the minoxidil with finasteride you may lose some hair. would be good to hear from people who have done this.

Shift

Established Member
Reaction score
If you switch from min to finasteride you will loose all your minoxidil gains and more. In other words - finasteride won't keep your results with minoxidil. Guarantied.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone,
I am new to his forum and I would appreciate your opinion to my case.

After 5 years of using Minoxidil which maintained a decent amount of hair on my head I want to switch to finasteride.
I know that Minoxidil and Finasteride work in a different way and I read that when switching from Minoxidil to Finasteride one would probably lose all hair that Minoxidil had maintained. However, I also read in a dermatologist publication that people switching from minoxidil to finasteride should very slowly reduce minoxidil application within 6 months whilst taking finasteride to avoid a heavy hairloss. This gives hope that at least a part of the hair maintained by minoxidil can also be maintained by finasteride.

I would like to know if there is anybody here who has switched from minoxidil to finasteride before and could tell of his experience?

My story and why I want to switch:

With 22 years (2006) I started to recognize my receding hairline. About 1.5 years later in June 2007 I was around a Norwood 1.5 - 2 and started using about 0.5ml Minoxidil 5% on my temples once a day. I didnt experience any shedding nor regrowth. Within the 5 years of use my hair slowly thinned to a Norwood 2 maybe, so I thought the minoxidil actually doesnt work but I kept using it to have the feeling of doing "something" against my hairloss. This year I recognised in a hard way that minoxidil actually did maintain quite a lot of hair.

Why I want to quit: 2-3 months after I started minoxidil I experienced weak errections which got worse with time. I never attributed it to minoxidil, however in the beginning of this year I got suspiciuos and searched in the internet - there were quite some poeple experiencing the same. It seems to be a rare side effect but it happens. I quit minoxidil cold turkey and within 2-4 weeks my erections got hard as rock again and also my libido increased a lot. I was happy to finally have solved this problem that had been troubeling me five years.

However the bad surprise was yet to come. 2.5 months after I quit the biggest shed of my life started at the beginning of last June. Temples got quickly deeper and thinner. And it is still shedding now, 2.5 months after it started. At the beginning of the shed I was very worried and started minoxidil again (5% 1x a day), but the side effects came back quickly so I lowered the dose, right now I am at 2% once a day. Side effects got better with the lower dose but did not go away completely.
The restart of minoxidil brought some (but little) hair in the temples back and somehow stabilised it there. However, I am shedding heavily in the middle front/top of my head. Since some weeks I have a heavy itching in those areas which is of course from the shed. Last week I recognised that under some light, I can see my scalp in those areas which was never like that before. I think minoxidil maintained the hair there all those years, and now I am losing it because I am down to 2%. Right now I became something between Norwood 2 and 3 with things worsening every week.

At the moment I am really worried about my hair which I love and I want to maintain what I can. In the long term I want to switch to finasteride. I started taking 0.5mg/day 2 weeks ago. The itching and shedding has not stopped so far.

Any idea when I can expect the shedding to end? Can it be helpful to go back to 5% minoxidil, sustain the side effects, regrow as much as possible and then very slowly reduce minoxidil application whilst taking finasteride?
Better get on 1mg of finasteride instead of 0.5 right now?
People who have experience in switching from minoxidil to finasteride, in quitting minoxidil or can give any other hint please comment.

I am grateful for any answer.

Tuna

First of all, I don't understand, why you did nothing during the whole 5 years, when you saw that minoxidil was not optimally effective? And as for minoxidil and bad erections... Well, this and other forums are full of such jokes! LOL People hear that finasteride causes bad erection, and then they "feel" it even on minoxidil.

But back to the main issue: All hair that was treated with minoxidil will be shed after you quit it. Even if you didn't suffer from male pattern baldness, the hair dependent on minoxidil would be probably shed, because hair follicles are not much "flexible". If minoxidil saved some of your hairs from destruction, the hairs will now be lost forever (if finasteride doesn't bring them to life again).

I actually experienced the same during the last 6 months, and it was an ordeal. I was applying 10-15% minoxidil in my temples for 13 months, mostly only once every other day. When I saw that it hadn't had the desired effect, I had thought that I could switch back to 5%, because it wouldn't be such a big difference. And then the hell came! The whole area, where I applied the high% minoxidil was almost bald after the next 4 months. The hair simply disappeared without trace. I lost nerves and I jumped on finasteride in late June. Fortunately, after 6 weeks on it, the hair started to grow back - and not only the lost hair, but even hair that I lost 16 years ago! I really don't know, if the hair grew back without finasteride, but in any case, jumping on finasteride was one of the best decisions of my life.

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
Use both. Rogaine doesn't cause those issues. Maybe go to the doctor and talk to him about your dick?

Tuna83

Reaction score
First of all, I don't understand, why you did nothing during the whole 5 years, when you saw that minoxidil was not optimally effective? And as for minoxidil and bad erections... Well, this and other forums are full of such jokes! LOL People hear that finasteride causes bad erection, and then they "feel" it even on minoxidil.

But back to the main issue: All hair that was treated with minoxidil will be shed after you quit it. Even if you didn't suffer from male pattern baldness, the hair dependent on minoxidil would be probably shed, because hair follicles are not much "flexible". If minoxidil saved some of your hairs from destruction, the hairs will now be lost forever (if finasteride doesn't bring them to life again).

I actually experienced the same during the last 6 months, and it was an ordeal. I was applying 10-15% minoxidil in my temples for 13 months, mostly only once every other day. When I saw that it hadn't had the desired effect, I had thought that I could switch back to 5%, because it wouldn't be such a big difference. And then the hell came! The whole area, where I applied the high% minoxidil was almost bald after the next 4 months. The hair simply disappeared without trace. I lost nerves and I jumped on finasteride in late June. Fortunately, after 6 weeks on it, the hair started to grow back - and not only the lost hair, but even hair that I lost 16 years ago! I really don't know, if the hair grew back without finasteride, but in any case, jumping on finasteride was one of the best decisions of my life.

Thank you for your replies, I was away some time.

I did nothing during the whole 5 years even I saw minoxidil was not optimally effective because I wanted to use finasterid later when I would be more grown up and the hair status would have become critical to me. All the time I thought minoxidil is not working at all because the hair status slowly got worse and I used just a little amount of minoxidil. I rather used it for having the feeling of "doing someting" against hairloss and not to think about it too much. I didnt inform myself properly so I didnt know finasteride cant keep the hair that minoxidil kept, also my dermatologist didnt inform me correctly about that.
Well I made a big mistake, I should have started earlier with finasteride and I cannot believe myself that I was so careless. But I cannot travel back in time and have to make the best out of the situation.

The success Warlord has with finasteride gives me hope, mabye I will experience something similar. I still use 2% minoxidil (liquid) and still experience some side effects. Maybe I will have less with using the foam but I heard it can be less effective than the liquid?

And people telling sexual side effects from Minoxidil are a joke should know that those side effects are already listed in some countries (not in the US or Germany where I am from)

SPAIN: http://img158.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=13316_minoxidil_57_quilab_2_122_677lo.jpg
SWITZERLAND: http://www.pharmawiki.ch/wiki/index.php?wiki=minoxidil (look for "sexuelle Dysfunktion")

As I said it is a rare effect, maybe 1 in 1000 poeple or less experience it I dont know. I went on and off minoxidil several times and can definetly attribute the side effects to it.
Just because you dont experience side effects it doesnt mean others dont - everybody is different.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, I was away some time.

I did nothing during the whole 5 years even I saw minoxidil was not optimally effective because I wanted to use finasterid later when I would be more grown up and the hair status would have become critical to me. All the time I thought minoxidil is not working at all because the hair status slowly got worse and I used just a little amount of minoxidil. I rather used it for having the feeling of "doing someting" against hairloss and not to think about it too much. I didnt inform myself properly so I didnt know finasteride cant keep the hair that minoxidil kept, also my dermatologist didnt inform me correctly about that.
Well I made a big mistake, I should have started earlier with finasteride and I cannot believe myself that I was so careless. But I cannot travel back in time and have to make the best out of the situation.

The success Warlord has with finasteride gives me hope, mabye I will experience something similar. I still use 2% minoxidil (liquid) and still experience some side effects. Maybe I will have less with using the foam but I heard it can be less effective than the liquid?

And people telling sexual side effects from Minoxidil are a joke should know that those side effects are already listed in some countries (not in the US or Germany where I am from)

SPAIN: http://img158.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=13316_minoxidil_57_quilab_2_122_677lo.jpg
SWITZERLAND: http://www.pharmawiki.ch/wiki/index.php?wiki=minoxidil (look for "sexuelle Dysfunktion")

As I said it is a rare effect, maybe 1 in 1000 poeple or less experience it I dont know. I went on and off minoxidil several times and can definetly attribute the side effects to it.
Just because you dont experience side effects it doesnt mean others dont - everybody is different.

You must now stay on minoxidil till the end of your life, if you want to avoid severe shedding. But it would be better, if you increased the dosage a bit. It would be very annoying to take something that doesn't work at all.

But I am highly skeptical to those "sexual side effects" of minoxidil. I know it. Some hysterical people confuse minoxidil with finasteride and "feel" lower libido.