Switching from finasteride to dutasteride

Hairworry

Reaction score
Hi

My hair seems to be losing ground after 2 years on finasteride.

I appear to suffer from hyperandrogenicity - face oilier, more acne.

By switching to avodart, will it help or make the hyperandrogenicity worse?

Can't afford to lose anymore hair.

Hairworry

Reaction score
I also want to get feedback from those who were not having results with finasteride and switched to dutasteride; is dutasteride more effective and how long has it been keeping your hair loss at bay?

Would appreciate some feedback, thanks.

KP211

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm also going to switch to avodart only going to take 0.5mg twice a week I will keep you guys posted.

ddongkko21

Reaction score
I just switched to dutasteride from finasteride a week ago. I'm taking .5mg daily.
I read that dutasteride blocks or reduces more percentage of DHT than finasteride. it also blocks one more type of 5ar something enzyme, which does not play a critical role in male pattern baldness (but who knows..).
people say dutasteride should be more effective than finasteride. i hope it is. that's why i made the switch.

Q: what's the logic in taking .5mg only twice a week?

KP211

Established Member
Reaction score
I read on avodart's web site that it stays in your system up to 240hrs compared to propecia is only 24hrs, plus I want to minimize any side affects. I was on propecia for a long time and quit a few years ago because my libido was zero. I also just bought aromatase inhibitor off bodybuilding.com it suppose to keep testosterone from converting into estrogen, I think that libido loss is also caused from increased estrogen in the body from propecia or avodart. Will see I havent taking it yet its coming in the mail

Ende

Reaction score
KP211 said:
I read on avodart's web site that it stays in your system up to 240hrs compared to propecia is only 24hrs, plus I want to minimize any side affects. I was on propecia for a long time and quit a few years ago because my libido was zero. I also just bought aromatase inhibitor off bodybuilding.com it suppose to keep testosterone from converting into estrogen, I think that libido loss is also caused from increased estrogen in the body from propecia or avodart. Will see I havent taking it yet its coming in the mail
Just be careful with aromatase inhibitors. With drugs like finasteride, it's true that loss of libido is caused by elevated estrogen level, but too low estrogen level gives you the same problem, among several other unpleasant symptoms.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
KP211 said:
I read on avodart's web site that it stays in your system up to 240hrs compared to propecia is only 24hrs...

That's basically wrong on both counts, depending on how you define "stays in your sytem". Let's go over this carefully:

1) The serum half-life of finasteride is on the order of about 5-6 hours in younger men, and a bit longer in older men; maybe something like 7-8 hours or so for old men who take it for BPH.

2) The serum half-life of dutasteride depends to a great extent on the dose. When taking it at the standard, recommended dose of 0.5 mg/day, the half-life can be around 4-5 weeks, when it reaches steady-state. When taking only 0.1 mg/day (which, by the way, is only a bit less of an average daily dose than taking two Avodarts a week), the half-life drops considerably to only about three days.