Switching From Finasteride To dutasteride, Tips?

CantStopTheBald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Going to my doctor next week. Going to get dutasteride.

My story: I'm a reporter so my hair is very important. Its not everything, but its something that will hinder my career. I've been on finasteride for over 2 years now and my hair has lost so much density.
Everytime i run my hand through it i get like 2 blond, thin hairs. Used to think it was new hair coming in, but it does not seem to be the case. I want to make the switch to dutasteride.

I need to the generic due to money. Is there a difference people have seen between the generic and avodart? Anyone here have a similar story with finasteride and then dutasteride worked? Im giving dutasteride a year before I say to hell with it and shave it.

CantStopTheBald

My Regimen
Reaction score
I went through the exact same thing. Two and a half years on Finasteride and nothing but constant shedding and thinning. Went on Avodart and it all stopped within 6 months. I started off on Avodart in Jan 2015 and by December the generic became available and was switched to that. As of now I haven't noticed any difference between brand and generic.
Any regrowth??
Thanks the responding! Glad to know you had success.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So many experience continued thinning on Fina, the Duta results are vastly superior but so many people are afraid to switch and wait till they have lost so much that Duta cannot fix it anymore. I dont get it, its not like Duta has been shown to have worse side effects, why hold out on the better medicine that people have so great success with? Im also going for generic Duta, will see what i can find and then weigh it between practicality and price, im hoping to find 2.5mg tablets that can be divided in 4.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Generics like Dr' Reddys are fine. It is what I use, you can see the thread in my signature.

Also, shedding doesn't mean hairloss. I've been on the stuff for well over 2 years, shedding never stops. However, my hair clearly hasn't gotten any worse since I started

I honestly do not even think it is possible to continue to lose your hair on dutasteride, the stuff is so strong.

CantStopTheBald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Generics like Dr' Reddys are fine. It is what I use, you can see the thread in my signature.

Also, shedding doesn't mean hairloss. I've been on the stuff for well over 2 years, shedding never stops. However, my hair clearly hasn't gotten any worse since I started

I honestly do not even think it is possible to continue to lose your hair on dutasteride, the stuff is so strong.
Were you on finasteride before hand?

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I did! Currently 3.5 months in. No sides. Still seem to be shedding some. However, I have some darker hairs along/in my hairline. I hope it's new hair. Staying hopeful.
Great for you! Hope you can maintain.

I am on finasteride for 6 months but lost half of my density and am a diffuse thinner now (from nw2 to nw3 in only 6 months). But i don't blame finasteride, my hairloss was aggresive before that.No sides though.

How did you switch? Dose and how many days?

CantStopTheBald

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just stopped Finasteride and started Duta the day I got it. .5 everyday. I think I'll finish my 4th month on Friday. No sides at all. Saw my dermatologist and GPS. They said my scalp looked healthy. Just praying for thinkening/maintain.

WestEast

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm on Dutasteride for 1 1/2 month. Too early to tell if I'm seeing any re-growth but *I think* I can see some very small hairs coming through but I can't be sure.
dutswi3.png

Last edited: