Switching From Finasteride To Dutasteride Antidotes And Stories. - Will I Shred?

Carl Rogerson

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am a 25 year old male who started balding when I was 17. I started taking finasteride and minoxidil around five years and I am currently a norwood 2.5 which I think is a miracle considering my dad and uncles were all bald at my age. This year I have noticed that my hair has started falling out rapidly compared to the previous years so I think the finasteride has become less effective. I want to start taking Dutasteride instead of finasteride as I heard its more effective. My question is, if I stop finasteride and start taking dutasteride will I experience any shredding? Also has anyone that has made the switch got any stories that they can share?

If there is anything else anyone feels like I should know please share it, the more information the better. I have searched the forum over the past couple of days but I have not found any answers to my question.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's no rule for this. Some experience shedding and some don't. I did switch from fina and duta and I've lost around 60-80 hairs a day for a couple of months. Right now I'm losing more like 20-30.

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's no rule for this. Some experience shedding and some don't. I did switch from fina and duta and I've lost around 60-80 hairs a day for a couple of months. Right now I'm losing more like 20-30.

Is this shower loss?

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am a 25 year old male who started balding when I was 17. I started taking finasteride and minoxidil around five years and I am currently a norwood 2.5 which I think is a miracle considering my dad and uncles were all bald at my age. This year I have noticed that my hair has started falling out rapidly compared to the previous years so I think the finasteride has become less effective. I want to start taking Dutasteride instead of finasteride as I heard its more effective. My question is, if I stop finasteride and start taking dutasteride will I experience any shredding? Also has anyone that has made the switch got any stories that they can share?

If there is anything else anyone feels like I should know please share it, the more information the better. I have searched the forum over the past couple of days but I have not found any answers to my question.

Shred to pieces? Doubtful. Shed? Maybe. I didn't have any shed on either fina or duta but some do.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I switched from finasteride to dutasteride and the middle of my hairline had a noticeable shed (also had brain fog). I posted about it along with another guy on this forum somewhere if you search for it. If you notice this type of shed, stop using it, it doesn't work for us. I regrew some of that hair back after stopping and going back to finasteride (no sides).

skinnyshaft

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I switched from finasteride to dutasteride and the middle of my hairline had a noticeable shed (also had brain fog). I posted about it along with another guy on this forum somewhere if you search for it. If you notice this type of shed, stop using it, it doesn't work for us. I regrew some of that hair back after stopping and going back to finasteride (no sides).

How long did you give dutasteride before stopping? I switched from finasteride to dutasteride 6 months ago because I think the former stopped working. I've been experiencing heavy shedding on the dutasteride. I've been advised to stick out the drug for at least a year because shedding is usually a sign it's working and 6 months is still early days. Indeed, others have reported heavy shedding that eventually abated. That said, it is very scary though and hard not to freak out, thus why I've come onto the forums..

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
8 months. If i didn't have brain fog I may have kept with it. But it was affecting my productivity/communication at work / personal life.

Carl Rogerson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I won't take the risk of switching from Finasteride to Dutasteride as the switch seems counter productive. Now I don't know what to do with my balding head.