Switching from Avodart to Propecia

Tikimik

Reaction score
So I've decided to switch to Propecia like the subject says.

Mainly because I've noticed how strong Avodart is and I'm worried that in the future there could be some serious negative effects.

The main effect I've noticed is it's basically a steroid if you go to the gym. The increase in testosterone is very noticeable.

Here is my question;

I have been on Avodart every day for about 2 months and 1.5 weeks. I stopped taking it 3 days ago, and just got my propecia prescription today.

I should probably start it right away I'm assuming to make sure the testosterone upscaling from the avodart doesn't totaly obliterate my hair?

I'm not too worried about a drop off since in this case avodart staying in your system for 5 weeks will make sure it is a slow ween off of it, and onto propecia.

I also stopped rogaine after just under 2 months because I don't want to have to deal with random sheds from 2 products. I'm 25 and still have lots of hair left and am a very fine diffuse thinner.

I still take Nizoral every 3 days and take lots of well known hair supplements like MSM and the essential fatty acids and B vitamins.

Is there anything I should know going into the switch even though the avodart was only for a short period of time?

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow. I'm in the exact same boat... I was on Avodart for 2 1/2 months with very strong side-effects, including the increase in muscle mass, zero libido, shedding, etc. As for the testosterone, it will decrease proportionally to the increase in dht. I switched from dutasteride back to finasteride the next day, and it seems to have worked out ok. Obviously because of the half-life I'm taking the two together.