Switching back to proscar from Avodart? Anyone done this?

scottp999

Reaction score
I am thinking of switching back to 1.25 mg proscar from .5mg avodart. Been on avodart since dec 2002, I really don't think I have seen much benefit from avodart over proscar. Thinking about switching back. I really only saw major improvement when I added 5% minoxidil twice daily to the mix.

If I am seeing about the same results (was on proscar 1998 to Dec 2002) then why not have 30% dht left instead of 6-8% with avodart. DHT has to be good for something. I am thinking also that there are DHT benefits when working out as far as it helping build muscle so I would like to switch back and see what happens?

Has anyone else done this? Anyone want to comment on what they think might happen? Thanks.

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
Good point about the dht . I was thinking of switching to avodart but I do need some testosterone for working out also you posting that You didn't see much difference kind of makes me rethink switching .But hold on one second , there is an herb thats sold as a testosterone increaser for faster hair growth .I'll have to get back to this post after some research .I now see a catch to using avodart .It rids the dht very well but also the lack of testosterone will lessen the results as well as make it hard to build muscle .If we can keep our testosterone levels at a nonmedicated level but drop our dht considerably we can get excellent results .

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
Tribulus tirestrus I think thats correct is used for testosterone .

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
No guys, propecia and avodart both raise your testosterone by 10-15%, which is a good thing for working out. And yea tribulus bark is a good natural testosterone booster. Eat big, lift big, good luck..

scottp999

Reaction score
But remember DHT is important to gaining the full effects of testosterone in muscle buiding.

I realize proscar raises test and avodart raises it even more but DHT plays a certain role in strength and size. See this article:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/reform8.htm

Also Tribulus is used by body builders to prevent testicular shrinkage, or a total shut down of natural test production during a steroid cycle. Usually a higher dose is used post cycle to help get full natural test production back sooner along with a couple of other drugs. This minimizes muscle loss at the end of a steroid cycle due to natural test production being shut down hard and taking weeks and weeks to recover.

Anyway, just saying that if avodart is not doing much for me above proscar than is 30% DHT better than 6-8% left over on avodart? Thanks!

G

I don't think there should be a problem in switching back to proscar. I can only hope to have results like you have had with your treatment. Considering you have been able to maintain with proscar/adovart for 5 years, then able to add minoxidil for further thickening. In my opinion adovart isn't all that it is cracked up to be, the results seem quite similar to fina, plus there is a higher chance of sides with the dutasteride.
BTW, interesting that is an interesting article about the role of DHT.

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link , great article .But is test going to have an impact on hair growth ? Also I now will not try avodart due to its ability to cause b**ch tities .I have a muscular chest and just a little case of b**ch tits will wreck all the working out done .

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Kevin fretwell said:
Thanks for the link , great article .But is test going to have an impact on hair growth ? Also I now will not try avodart due to its ability to cause b**ch tities .I have a muscular chest and just a little case of b**ch tits will wreck all the working out done .

Dude dont base you decision on some quack who has no evidence to support his claims. Do some real research on your own as to the side effects of avodart. That guy is just going on crap he heard in the gym talking to roid heads like himself. He isnt even a PHD, for all we know he dropped out of high school.

I dont take avodart and Im not reccomending you do, Im just saying that dont believe everything you read on the net.

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
"Dude dont base you decision on some quack who has no evidence to support his claims. Do some real research on your own as to the side effects of avodart. That guy is just going on crap he heard in the gym talking to roid heads like himself. He isnt even a PHD, for all we know he dropped out of high school."

Point well made ,although he sounds legit .Also want to add that it seems like raising testosterone levels is partially the benefit from taking finasteride/dutasteride therefore taking tribulus would indeed be beneficial .Any comment ?Perhaps this is a conversation that should be talked about as its own post .What I'm guessing is that members that are not getting much benefit from finasteride/dutasteride are experiencing not much testosterone hikes , maybe only 7-10% as apposed to the good responders who maybe have 15% or even more .I'm surprised this has not been even discussed in the past on board .[/url][/quote]

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thinning said:
Dude dont base you decision on some quack who has no evidence to support his claims. Do some real research on your own as to the side effects of avodart. That guy is just going on crap he heard in the gym talking to roid heads like himself. He isnt even a PHD, for all we know he dropped out of high school.

He has a B.S. in chemistry from the University of New Haven. Here's a nice little bio on him:

http://www.mesomorphosis.com/articles/arnold/bio.htm

Bryan

scottp999

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I think I am switching back when my avodart perscription expires. I did not see much improvement from one to the other and have given it about 18 months.