Switched From Finasteride To Dutasteride Anyone Have Good Results On Hairline?

Marcoco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was on finasteride for nearly a year slowed temple recession but feel that it has started slowly again. How have people done on dutasteride. 1 month in today.

Wisemiller

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If finasteride only slowed your hair and for only one year, it didn't work.

But if one snake oil doesn't work, why not try another?

Marcoco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If finasteride only slowed your hair and for only one year, it didn't work.

But if one snake oil doesn't work, why not try another?
It stabilised for most of the time i just felt my right side was slightly retreating more.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride is a more effective treatment than finasteride. There are several guys who have posted on here who were able to have success with dutasteride after finasteride didn't work for them.

I've been using dutasteride since 2014. It has completely stopped my hair loss and thickened up my crown extensively. It has also restored most of the loss I had on my right temple, but the results on my left temple have been poorer. My left temple was in worse shape than the right before treatment, and dutasteride has never been able to achieve much regrowth on the left. I've had some minor thickening on the left temple but nothing significant. I'm still about a Norwood 2.75 on the left, and probably always will be unless I get a transplant in the future.

Temple regrowth is known to be difficult with 5ar inhibitors. And the longer you wait to get on finasteride/dutasteride, the harder it is to grow back what you've lost. That's why it is important to start treatment early. In your case, dutasteride may be able to give you some temple regrowth, but it is far from guaranteed. All you can really do is wait and see.

If you're not already doing so, maybe you could also start applying minoxidil just to your hairline and temples. That would significantly increase your chances of getting regrowth than from just using dutasteride alone. I've just started doing this with minoxidil foam, which is so much more convenient to use than the liquid.

fffalling1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride is a more effective treatment than finasteride. There are several guys who have posted on here who were able to have success with dutasteride after finasteride didn't work for them.

I've been using dutasteride since 2014. It has completely stopped my hair loss and thickened up my crown extensively. It has also restored most of the loss I had on my right temple, but the results on my left temple have been poorer. My left temple was in worse shape than the right before treatment, and dutasteride has never been able to achieve much regrowth on the left. I've had some minor thickening on the left temple but nothing significant. I'm still about a Norwood 2.75 on the left, and probably always will be unless I get a transplant in the future.

Temple regrowth is known to be difficult with 5ar inhibitors. And the longer you wait to get on finasteride/dutasteride, the harder it is to grow back what you've lost. That's why it is important to start treatment early. In your case, dutasteride may be able to give you some temple regrowth, but it is far from guaranteed. All you can really do is wait and see.

If you're not already doing so, maybe you could also start applying minoxidil just to your hairline and temples. That would significantly increase your chances of getting regrowth than from just using dutasteride alone. I've just started doing this with minoxidil foam, which is so much more convenient to use than the liquid.
How often you are using dutasteride? İm using duta in liquid minoxil and im getting regrowth even on hairline should i add oral too? Maybe 2 times in a week? Honestly im scaring from minoxil periods this is why im asking...

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How often you are using dutasteride? İm using duta in liquid minoxil and im getting regrowth even on hairline should i add oral too? Maybe 2 times in a week? Honestly im scaring from minoxil periods this is why im asking...
I take 0.5mg a day. I suggest you drop the topical dutasteride and take it orally instead, while continuing to use topical minoxidil. Oral dutasteride has a proven track record and is known to be a highly effective hair loss treatment. The same cannot be said for topical dutasteride.

You could take oral dutasteride every other day if you wish. This won't be as effective as every day but will still be more effective than any dose of finasteride.

I didn't understand your last sentence, sorry.

fffalling1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I take 0.5mg a day. I suggest you drop the topical dutasteride and take it orally instead, while continuing to use topical minoxidil. Oral dutasteride has a proven track record and is known to be a highly effective hair loss treatment. The same cannot be said for topical dutasteride.

You could take oral dutasteride every other day if you wish. This won't be as effective as every day but will still be more effective than any dose of finasteride.

Thank you !

İ mean minoxil making shedding at the some periods ,i'm scaring from that this is why i'm looking for an oral anti androgen.İ begin again Finasteride but i'm not sure its help me on hairline and it's making some eyes problem on me...

How are you with oral dutasteride ?Can you explain some details sides and hair growth?

Meeee199

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Do you still shed hair while being on duta? I am currently on finasteride(3months+1week) and I shed alot but I feel my hair density hasn't changed since I started. I am thinking about jumping on duta before it is too late but I am not sure

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you !

İ mean minoxil making shedding at the some periods ,i'm scaring from that this is why i'm looking for an oral anti androgen.İ begin again Finasteride but i'm not sure its help me on hairline and it's making some eyes problem on me...

How are you with oral dutasteride ?Can you explain some details sides and hair growth?
If you're referring to puffy eyes and dark circles around the eyes, that would most likely be caused by minoxidil rather than 5ar inhibitors. These eye issues are well known to be caused by minoxidil. If minoxidil causes these sides, it is best to lower your dose. If the sides still don't go away even after lowering your dose, it is probably best to drop minoxidil completely.

Oral dutasteride has worked very well for me myself. I've had no further hair loss since using dutasteride. I had a lot of regrowth during the first year of treatment, and the dutasteride has maintained this regrowth ever since (I've been using dutasteride since 2014). I still have some noticeable recession on my left temple, but I've recently added minoxidil to try to get some temple regrowth. As far as I can tell, my libido seems to be a little bit lower than before I used dutasteride, but the difference is only small and is not a problem for me. I've had no erectile dysfunction or any other sides.

Do you still shed hair while being on duta? I am currently on finasteride(3months+1week) and I shed alot but I feel my hair density hasn't changed since I started. I am thinking about jumping on duta before it is too late but I am not sure
I didn't notice any shed when I started dutasteride. I wouldn't worry about the shedding issue if I were you. The shed that finasteride/dutasteride can sometimes cause is only temporary, and the hairs that have been shed will be replaced by new, healthy hairs that are being protected by the finasteride/dutasteride from DHT. I guess you could consider switching to dutasteride. What Norwood are you, and has finasteride given you any side-effects?

Meeee199

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I.

I didn't notice any shed when I started dutasteride. I wouldn't worry about the shedding issue if I were you. The shed that finasteride/dutasteride can sometimes cause is only temporary, and the hairs that have been shed will be replaced by new, healthy hairs that are being protected by the finasteride/dutasteride from DHT. I guess you could consider switching to dutasteride. What Norwood are you, and has finasteride given you any side-effects?

Do you think 3 months duration is too long for a finasteride shed?

I am Norwood 2 but with diffuse thinning. Zero side effects. I have been excessively dreaming at night since I started taking finasteride but I am not sure if it has anything to do with finasteride.

Inigo1202

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm on month 2 of Finas and also experiencing shedding, also a mild one. It scares you at first but now I just think it's necessary to see a better hair in the next few months.

If Finas doesn't work for the next one year (two at most), I'll change to Dutas.

I'm not doing minoxidil because I honestly don't see myself being persistent with it, not even once a day. Also I've read many many stories about minoxidil backfiring with people that have a good volume density (as I do, I'm only thinning at the crown).

I'm doing hair vitamins also, dermarolling once a week, scalp massages and good diet and lifesyle overall. This is easy because I'm Spanish.

I'm only on month 2 of treatment (started in late September) so I'm waiting till next summer to see what results I get.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm on month 2 of Finas and also experiencing shedding, also a mild one. It scares you at first but now I just think it's necessary to see a better hair in the next few months.

If Finas doesn't work for the next one year (two at most), I'll change to Dutas.

I'm not doing minoxidil because I honestly don't see myself being persistent with it, not even once a day. Also I've read many many stories about minoxidil backfiring with people that have a good volume density (as I do, I'm only thinning at the crown).

I'm doing hair vitamins also, dermarolling once a week, scalp massages and good diet and lifesyle overall. This is easy because I'm Spanish.

I'm only on month 2 of treatment (started in late September) so I'm waiting till next summer to see what results I get.

Yeah your best bet is to give finasteride 12 months, if you aren't satisfied switch to dutasteride, try that for 12 months, if still not satisfied low dose oral minoxidil if you aren't too keen on applying topical.

Marcoco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I
i take dutasteride once daily