switch to minoxidil twice a week to maintain gains ?

chigoha

My Regimen
Reaction score
let's say i use minoxidil once/twice a day with microneedling for months and get good gains

can i switch to twice a week to just maintain the gains ?

Adri23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
let's say i use minoxidil once/twice a day with microneedling for months and get good gains

can i switch to twice a week to just maintain the gains ?
No, minoxidil half life is very short. You need to use it once a day at least if you wanna keep your gains.

chigoha

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, minoxidil half life is very short. You need to use it once a day at least if you wanna keep your gains.
are you sure ?

some people use it once a day to actually get gains not only keep them

Adri23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
are you sure ?

some people use it once a day to actually get gains not only keep them
As I said minoxidil have short half life and is very dosage dependent, so you will need a constant concentration in your blood to maintain the gains.

chigoha

My Regimen
Reaction score
As I said minoxidil have short half life and is very dosage dependent, so you will need a constant concentration in your blood to maintain the gains.
can i keep the gains by switching to a low dose of oral minoxidil ?

JagKännerMigSkärd

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
can i keep the gains by switching to a low dose of oral minoxidil ?
I think that you want to switch to minoxidil only twice a week cuz it's really unconvenient to apply it every day. If I were you, I would just try a really low dose of oral minoxidil, like 5 mg a day. I personally use 25 mg a day just because it's the highest dose I've seen a guy used and he claimed to be ok (ofc it was a long-time usage).

chigoha

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that you want to switch to minoxidil only twice a week cuz it's really unconvenient to apply it every day. If I were you, I would just try a really low dose of oral minoxidil, like 5 mg a day. I personally use 25 mg a day just because it's the highest dose I've seen a guy used and he claimed to be ok (ofc it was a long-time usage).
exactly , i basically want a specific hairstyle that requires effort , so it would be really annoying to f*** up my hairstyle by pouring topical minoxidil every day ( however, i can sacrifice 6-9 months to get the results)

do you think twice a week is enough to just keep the gains if i continue with dermarolling ? (because they say it takes at least a month of stopping minoxidil to restart shedding)

Last edited:

JagKännerMigSkärd

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
exactly , i basically want a specific hairstyle that requires effort , so it would be really annoying to f*** up my hairstyle by pouring topical minoxidil every day ( however, i can sacrifice 6-9 months to get the results)

do you think twice a week is enough to just keep the gains if i continue with dermarolling ? (because they say it takes at least a month of stopping minoxidil to restart shedding)
no bro, some ppl even claim that minoxidil once a day is not enough. As I said, try oral minoxidil, sooooo convenient, cheap and effective.

chigoha

My Regimen
Reaction score
no bro, some ppl even claim that minoxidil once a day is not enough. As I said, try oral minoxidil, sooooo convenient, cheap and effective.
can i do topical for 6-9 months and then switch to oral to keep the gains?

and is 5mg / day low enough to not have side effects and unwanted body hair growth ?

JagKännerMigSkärd

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
can i do topical for 6-9 months and then switch to oral to keep the gains

and is 5mg / day low enough to not have side effects and unwanted body hair growth ?
I think it depends, you should do your reserach and look up guys who stuck to this dose. And btw, I think a lot of people are demonizing this overall body hair growth by minoxidil, cuz for me it improved my looks definitely (eyelashes, eyebrows, beard - darker and thicker).

chigoha

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it depends, you should do your reserach and look up guys who stuck to this dose. And btw, I think a lot of people are demonizing this overall body hair growth by minoxidil, cuz for me it improved my looks definitely (eyelashes, eyebrows, beard - darker and thicker).
so there's no other way to maintain minoxidil gains than keep using it daily ?

not even microneedling + nizoral shampoo + a smaller frequency of minoxidil can maintain the gains ?

are there any alternatives for permanent gains even if smaller gains ? (redensyl , stemoxydine .... ) ?

JagKännerMigSkärd

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so there's no other way to maintain minoxidil gains than keep using it daily ?

not even microneedling + nizoral shampoo + a smaller frequency of minoxidil can maintain the gains ?

are there any alternatives for permanent gains even if smaller gains ? (redensyl , stemoxydine .... ) ?
I mean, ketoconazole is such a weak anti-androgen that it should be used only as an addition or in the very begginings of fighting early sings of hair loss. You cant try, but I dont think it will sustain your minoxidil gains long term. Microneedling might be worthwhile.
Redensyl and stemoxydine I havent heard of, in spite of the fact im quite deep in hair-loss community, so... xd

chigoha

My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean, ketoconazole is such a weak anti-androgen that it should be used only as an addition or in the very begginings of fighting early sings of hair loss. You cant try, but I dont think it will sustain your minoxidil gains long term. Microneedling might be worthwhile.
Redensyl and stemoxydine I havent heard of, in spite of the fact im quite deep in hair-loss community, so... xd
they say redensyl and stemoxydine are weaker growth stimulants than minoxidil 2% but side effects free and any gains would be permanent

do you know if gains gotten on non dht-sensitive hairs (sides & back) with minoxidil are permanent / keepable like beard gains ?

JagKännerMigSkärd

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
they say redensyl and stemoxydine are weaker growth stimulants than minoxidil 2% but side effects free and any gains would be permanent

do you know if gains gotten on non dht-sensitive hairs (sides & back) with minoxidil are permanent / keepable like beard gains ?
ive only watched one clip on yt of a guy who claimed that after he stopped using minoxidil his beard hasn't gotten any worse in spite of the long-term withdrawal

chigoha

My Regimen
Reaction score
ive only watched one clip on yt of a guy who claimed that after he stopped using minoxidil his beard hasn't gotten any worse in spite of the long-term withdrawal
so maybe it works the same with follicles on the sides and back of the head as they are not DHT sensitive

it might be a good solution : maximize donor area density for a dense packing hair transplant

chigoha

My Regimen
Reaction score
one last question please , does topical minoxidil affect only the area you apply in or all the hair ?

JagKännerMigSkärd

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so can i just apply minoxidil on the back of my scalp that i keep buzzed to maintain all the gains instead of f*****g up my hairstyle on the top ?
well, tricky question xD i'd it wouldn't work as effective, but maybe somebody else can answer