Swiss Lace or French for first system?

PeterMountain

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m going to be ordering my first system this week and I’ve decided to go with a lace. I can’t decide between these two from Lavivid:

I’ve heard that Swiss generally looks better and is more undetectable, but is harder to maintain and doesn’t last as long as French. Both their website and their customer service agent claim that both systems will last 4-6 months. This is my first system and I have done research but I know there will be a learning curve.

Any advice you guys can give?

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
I'm also ordering my first system and I had actually shortlisted to these two. But, many people and many salons seem to suggest that a more natural choice for the first system is poly. There is LaVivid Mirage that is similar. Do you mind sharing why you decided on lace? Mostly for the breathability and look? The benefit of the poly over those seems to be that it's easy to clean and manoeuvre but us first time system wearers have no experience of that so I guess that we don't worry about it.

PeterMountain

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm also ordering my first system and I had actually shortlisted to these two. But, many people and many salons seem to suggest that a more natural choice for the first system is poly. There is LaVivid Mirage that is similar. Do you mind sharing why you decided on lace? Mostly for the breathability and look? The benefit of the poly over those seems to be that it's easy to clean and manoeuvre but us first time system wearers have no experience of that so I guess that we don't worry about it.

Yes, breathability and look are the reasons. I’m active and tend to sweat alot so I’m trying to avoid Poly.

I’m getting it installed at a salon and have a hairdresser friend who’s willing to help me with the maintenance installs the first few times.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had Swiss lace for my first system. It was fine, but I did lack experience and made a lot of mistakes. I think it's generally accepted that you'll make mistakes with your first ever system, regardless of what type of base it has. It takes a while to get used to it all and possibly a few systems until you get the (hopefully totally natural looking) look you want.

Last edited:

BaldAndBalder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had Swiss lace for my first system. It was fine, but I did lack experience and made a lot of mistakes. I think it's generally accepted that you'll make mistakes with your first ever system, regardless of what type of base it has. It takes a while to get used to it all and possibly a few systems until you get the (hopefully totally natural looking) look you want.
What mistakes did you make?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What mistakes did you make?

Far too many! But most of the common mistakes beginners new to hair systems make - not knowing effective ways to detach/attach it properly, not knowing how to position it consistently, not knowing how to properly condition it, not knowing how to cut it in or style it to make it look realistic, etc. I didn't even know you're supposed to wash the silicon off a new system lol, nor did I know you weren't supposed to cut the hairline! The stylist I went to for a consultation and attachment for my first system should've explained all this, but didn't, so I had to learn it the hard way.

When I first got the system, it just looked way too dense - probably because I was used to the density of my thinning/receding hair - so I felt massively self conscious and I decided to thin it out with thinning scissors, and I can't say I made a very good job out of it. It didn't help that I was spending Christmas with family immediately after I first got it, and then I was back at work a week or so later. I was constantly worried people would notice I was wearing, etc. I managed to make the best of it, and made it look presentable - people just thought I'd had a haircut/bit of a style change and that was that. I replaced the first system a few weeks later with another one and was able to get it looking far better. I've had 2 or 3 more systems since then, and I've gradually refined my look, methods of detachment/attachment, looking after it, styling it, etc to the point where I feel very confident wearing and can go about my life as normal.

There's a reasonably big learning curve to hair systems, as well as a psychological barrier to overcome when you first start wearing, but once you get the hang of it then it's fine. I would say that having someone experienced and knowledgeable to guide a first time wearer, as well as them doing their own research to gain knowledge, is FAR more important than the type of base you choose for all the reasons I've just discussed.

Rijad

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should get a hybrid system - French Lace and poly. It is easier to attach and remove. I would stay away from Swiss Lace as it is a bit hard to handle. Like Hair2019 said, you will make mistakes with the first hair system, so it is better to have a professional to help you

PeterMountain

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback! I went with the French and received it the other day. I should be getting it installed in the next couple weeks. I’m a bit nervous about taking the plunge so I’ve been putting off making the appointment.

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
From all my research it seems like the Lavivid Ares is the best overall unit in terms of balance. It is French lace in top and front, with poly back and sides. Seems like the best overall set up from my research and the density is at a believable 95% which is great too. The .03 thinskin breaks down too fast for my liking IMO and the Mirage being a .04-.05 is a bit more durable but I definitely want that breathability with a more undetectable hairline. It is my first system though so I hope it's not too noob unfriendly compared to poly.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
I have my first system and it's a Lavivid Mirage. It looks good but there are some things that I don't like:
-I am having a lot of trouble with the adhesives. I get lifts in the front and the back. This isn't specific to the system or base though.
-Cleaning is not easy, so it feels like the benefit of having poly (easier to clean compared with lace) isn't really there
-When I work out and sweat, I feel like I'd like it to be less tight and more breathable. But at all other times, it feels perfectly comfortable
-If I part the hair at the hairline, the plastic is visible, and same thing if I haven't set it down properly at the back
-it is reasonably short and I asked the salon to reduce the density. It looks just how I wanted it but I know that I can't go any shorter or less dense because the plastic on the scalp will show
-I don't like the feel when I scratch my head and feel the plastic

Anyway it looks great and I can't complain. When attached and styled well, it's amazing. I am already thinking about my next system and I want to try a lace. My question is.... what is the benefit of having a hybrid system with poly at the back and sides? For what reason is this easier to attach?

Reactions: 300

mroizo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have my first system and it's a Lavivid Mirage. It looks good but there are some things that I don't like:
-I am having a lot of trouble with the adhesives. I get lifts in the front and the back. This isn't specific to the system or base though.
-Cleaning is not easy, so it feels like the benefit of having poly (easier to clean compared with lace) isn't really there
-When I work out and sweat, I feel like I'd like it to be less tight and more breathable. But at all other times, it feels perfectly comfortable
-If I part the hair at the hairline, the plastic is visible, and same thing if I haven't set it down properly at the back
-it is reasonably short and I asked the salon to reduce the density. It looks just how I wanted it but I know that I can't go any shorter or less dense because the plastic on the scalp will show
-I don't like the feel when I scratch my head and feel the plastic

Anyway it looks great and I can't complain. When attached and styled well, it's amazing. I am already thinking about my next system and I want to try a lace. My question is.... what is the benefit of having a hybrid system with poly at the back and sides? For what reason is this easier to attach?
My fist hair piece was a French lace with poly rim. The rim is mainly to make attachment/removal easier as the tape or glue sticks with the poly. Then just use glue on the lace front to attach. I use only full French lace systems now as I found the poly rim ones to be too large.

I workout a lot and live in a tropical country. Lace is great for this as sweat can go through it as well as water when you shower. Another benefit of lace is that you don't have to do a full-bond for the hair piece and your head. Some glue/tape in the back and some glue for the front 25-30% hold mine well in place for about two weeks.