swelling

mike20768

Reaction score
Is sever swelling normal? i look like rocky after being beat up by apollo creed! My eyes are so puffy and black..just started today.

arnold

Reaction score
Yes...it is pretty normal. Everyday....you should see the swelling moving down from your far head, to your eyes and the bridge of your nose, to the bags under your eyes.....and then it just disappears. Sleep with your head raised up so it's on an angle. Hope that helps.

mike20768

Reaction score
You are right....saturday it was my forehead.....sunday my entire face. My eyes were shut close this day.... monday swollen under my eyes, and today I still have bags under my eyes but they seem to be going down day by day.

The bags under my eyes are red now. I hope this goes away in the next couple of days. I have to go back to work next Tuesday!

G

Mike,

Most hair transplant patients do not experience the post-op swelling to that extent. But it can occur especially if your session was very large and lots of hairline work. Were you provided any steroids to take post-op?

Also, contact your surgeon and explain your situation, possibly you can e-mail some pics. They may be able to phone in a script for you at your local pharmacy. The effects of gravity are pulling down alot of the fluids which is probably why it's affecting your eye area so by now the steroids may not be of benefit. Still, I highly recommend that you contact your doctor.

I hope this begins to rapidly subside in the next several days. Best wishes to you.

mike20768

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for your response. I went to see my doctor yesterday for a follow up. I admit, I did not sleep at an angle for the first few days and even again last night. This is just difficult for me to do. The only swelling that exists now are the bags under my eyes which he saw yesterday. He once again told me to sleep at an angle and let the fluids work its way down.

I'm going to give this until Friday and see if the bags under by eyes still exist and see if there is any progress. If I don't see progress, back to him I go. I shouldn't have any swelling at this point. Its been 5 days since surgery.

Are they any meds for the swelling under the eyes? Should I be using some ice few times a day?

DaveOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Swelling five days after is not really an issue. Some guys don't start the really bad swelling until day 3 or 4, so if it is going down by day 5 that is a good thing. There can still be some residual swelling after day 5, especially considering you didn't really sleep at an angle, so it will take longer for the swelling to drain. That's why you hear guys talking all the time about sleeping at an angle- it's really crucial if you want to expedite the draining process... the guys who do that conistently usually have the least issues w/ swelling.

mike20768

Reaction score
Well, its day 6 and I still have swelling under my eyes. Its really not that bad. The bags under my eyes are puffy. Again, Im stupid. I didnt sleep at an angle last night. But if I didnt sleep at an angle all those other nights and I went from looking like Rocky Balboa to almost normal in 2 days, why doesnt the minor puffing under my eyes go away? the puffyness has been around my eyes since Tuesday. Seems like during the day it goes down, then when I go to sleep and wake up next day, the puffyness is back.

This really sucks. Its bothering me really bad now. Cause I dont see any medication I can take for it. Its just a matter of giving it time. But I have to go back to work next Tuesday...GRRRR!

G

mike20768,

At this point in time post-op, there's really not much else you can do but continue to apply ice, on for ten minutes, off for ten minutes. I mean the worse has now happened so from here, it's all uphill.

I often refer to the 3/3 rule post-op regarding swelling. It almost always shows up three days post-op and then lingers for another three days. After six days, things begin to improve.

Did your Doctor provide you any steroids like Prednisone whic is typically recommended by hair transplant surgeons? Often times the surgeon will have you on that steroid immediately starting the day of surgery and then for three to five days post-op. But my opinion is that it won't do much good now, it's more critical to start it before the swelling sets in to minimize the overall effects of it.

I do think you'll come out of this okay in the next several days, so hang in there my friend. :)