suture line on back of head...

mike20768

Reaction score
Does hair grow around the suture line after 3 months? My hair in the back is kind of short...not really long so currently it looks like a "hat line" since I had my surgery 13 days ago...I get stitches out tomorrow but looking in the mirror, my hair falls over my line just enough to cover it but you can still see a "hat line". If my hair is moved a little, line is exposed. Should I use toppik or something for a while? Toppik gets all over my clothes though...ewwww

CCS

Reaction score
afasda

G

Internal sutures are absolvable and never get removed unless an infection begins to fester or something like that.

It might be possible that you have minor shockloss at either side of the linear scar and yes it should start filling in after three to four months. If the hair on each side of the scar was shocked, that's a sign that some went into telogen, hence the wait of three to four months for re-growth to take place.

Did you by chance have a tricoclosure method done?

Best wishes on your complete healing! :wink:

G

Forgot to mention Dermatch which is a scalp make-up product.

Once you have complete healing at the suture line, you can consider using Dermatch to cover where the hair is missing. The product comes with an applicator that allows you to apply it to a confined area.

I would not recommend Toppik because it's too hard to apply in such a confined area as you have already experienced.

mike20768

Reaction score
Just got back from Doctor. The hairs did not go into shock loss. He admitted shaving ONE side to much when he lifted my hair, therefore there is a very small bald spot on one side of the head (end of the suture line...right below it).

I have to wait for my hair to grow long enough again to cover the one minor bald spot.

In the meantime I was thinking of using eye shadow/liner to just cover it up. I have jet black hair so that should help a bit. I know when my cousin tried to cut his own hair, he messed up and put a very small bald spot in the back of his head and a eye shadow/liner covered it up with no problem.

Im going to give this a shot....I dont think dermatch is needed just yet. Just have to wait for hair to grow again...2 weeks maybe..

mike20768

Reaction score
well, eye liner did the trick but since dermatch is recommended for concealing scalp, i ordered it. $30 and should last 8 months...not bad

Im not even using that much so it will probably last longer...im just going to use it to cover suture line for a few months until hair grows long enough to cover the line.

Sucks that I have to do this because my idiot doctor didnt shave the hair correctly before removing my skin/grafts from the back of my head. Now I have a bald spot on one end. Damn idiot..im kinda pissed that this has to be a part of my daily routine now and worry about someone seeing the line.

G

mike,

Glad to hear your found some resolve. Happy growing! :hairy: