Supe's Story - (19 / male pattern baldness or just thin hair?)

Supe

Reaction score
Okay so I used to have my hair long and I would always straighten it with a flat iron and never trim it. This was when I was 16. I later on decided to cut it. My hair was always thin, but never this bad.

I don't know what's going on.

I went to a dermatologist, they did a scalp biopsy and said that there's nothing wrong with my hair and that it'll grow back.

My dermatologist wanted me to start with rogaine, but I waited.

I visited the hairclub today and the consultant told me that I'd be completely bald by the age of 20. That's in 5 months.

Anyway, he wanted to get me on their Extreme Hair Therapy procedure. It's Shampoo, conditioner, scalp cleanser, minoxidil, and a supplement. He wanted me to do that for a year (costing $3,000) and then he'd want to put me on finasteride to prevent from going back to this.

Bosley has the same procedure for about $1,000

So what the hell is going on with my hair, and what do I need to do?

As you can see, my hair is thin all over. My hairline and crown are just fine...it's weird. I need help figuring out what's happening.

I've attached six images.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 418
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 450
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 387
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 332
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 359
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 439

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Age: 19 male pattern baldness or just thin hair? Whats going on?

Supe said:
I went to a dermatologist, they did a scalp biopsy and said that there's nothing wrong with my hair and that it'll grow back.

If your hair is important to you then check with another dermatologist, because IMO it seems like you do have male pattern baldness (i'd say the only doctors whom can identify male pattern baldness in early stages would be hair transplant surgeons)

anyone else in your family suffers from male pattern baldness? (your father/mother/their brothers etc?)

Supe said:
I visited the hairclub today and the consultant told me that I'd be completely bald by the age of 20. That's in 5 months.

I've heard of those clinics.... they know male pattern baldness like i know rocket science! there is no way in hell that you'd hit nw3+ in less then year with that hair, dont stress yourself, they just want your money. there is no effective (and fda approved too) treatment to stop hair loss other then the big 3. and that shouldn't cost more then a few hundreds at best. :dunno:

Supe

Reaction score
Re: Age: 19 male pattern baldness or just thin hair? Whats going on?

My father suffers from male pattern baldness as does one of my uncles. My mother suffers it because of her thyroid, though.

What are the big 3? Should I using anything now? I really don't want to go bald lol.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you have the beginning stages of male pattern baldness.

Honestly, I think you should immediately jump on finasteride (Propecia/Finpecia/Fincar/Proscar) and you will probably regrow what you lost without having to bother with minoxidil.

Supe

Reaction score
What can I do to reverse the side effects of decreased libido and gynocomastia?

And how long should I take it?
If my hair regrows, should I stop taking it?
Should I use rogain with it too?
Should I shampoo with Nizoral?
Can I shampoo with Nizoral even if I'm not on finasteride and rogain?

cuebald

Reaction score
Supe said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

FSHGLD

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude that hairclub sound like they're SERIOUSLY trying to scam you. Out of what they've offered you, minoxidil is by far the most important component and you can get a generic brand of it really cheaply. It sounds like they're trying to charge you a 2000% commission for easily available ingredients. Also, there's absolutely no way you'll be totally bald in six months. I'd say the chances of you being totally bald before 25 even if you do nothing are fairly slim.
Spend a bit of time researching the treatments available and take action when you feel ready (though obviously the longer you wait, the less hair you're likely to keep).

Supe

Reaction score
Well I have researched, but I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff. I plan on visiting my family doctor soon, but could anyone point me in the right direction? I'd appreciate that.

FSHGLD

Established Member
Reaction score
Just read through the success stories...loads of them...then you'll know what to do. Consider getting generic finasteride and minoxidil.

Reaction score
Hey Supe,

Have the sides of your head thinned as well? Meaning, the hair above your ears, which is normally thick even on completely bald men. It's hard to tell, but it appeared that way from one of the pictures.

If the sides of your hair have thinned, then something other, or in addition to, male pattern baldness may be going on. Given your age, you should go to another dermatologist to see whether they can assess what's going on.

If it happens that you're just in the early stages of ordinary male pattern baldness, then, if you absolutely want to treat your condition, finasteride (Propecia) is your best bet. Your dermatologist can prescribe that for you. Minoxidil may help, but it won't fix it on its own, and you must continue using it to continue experiencing results.

Stay away from that hair club. They are trying to rip you off. Your yearly costs on finasteride should be only a few hundred dollars.

Supe

Reaction score
Yeah, the hair on the sides of my head are in fact thinning as well. It's thinning all over except for the back of my head, so I have no idea what's going on.

I will schedule an appointment with my doctor and see what happens from there.

What do you think it is if the sides the thinning as well? Is it treatable?

cuebald

Reaction score
That product is just a multivit. It won't do anything.

I'd hold off on the Big 3 for now - no point jumping on treatments that won't do you any good. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I wouldn't say you've got male pattern baldness just yet.

I can't tell what you have from those pictures. Can you take a bright one of the side, and also one of the back of your head?

Telogen Effluvium can happen for many reasons. All I can ask just yet is, have you done anything, taken any new meds or foods since your hair started thinning? Have you had a blood test done?
Telogen Effluvium is basically where more hairs than normal enter the telogen stage, so you've got much less anagen hairs at any given period than you should - hence the appearance of thinning hair. This happens ALL OVER the scalp - even in the donor areas (the "horse shoe").
If your thinning is on the top of the scalp only - it's male pattern baldness no matter what.

I think the docs you've seen so far, well, they don't seem to know much about the various alopecias. I know most docs will just write you a finasteride script unless you have visible Alopecia Areata, without doing any tests. The hair club is a joke full stop - it's a toupee shop.
minoxidil will thicken your hair, but it won't do anything to address why your hair is thinning. It will be covering a problem rather than fixing it.

Supe

Reaction score
Don't really recall taking any meds.

I mean, could it be from weight lifting? Whey protein? Creatine? Too much sex/masturbation?

I currently take men's one a day, fish oil, flaxseed oil, and biotin.

Is Telogen Effluvium reversible or curable?

And yes I've had a blood test, and the Doctor didn't find anything.

HeHateMe23

Reaction score
Supe said:
Don't really recall taking any meds.

I mean, could it be from weight lifting? Whey protein? Creatine? Too much sex/masturbation?

I currently take men's one a day, fish oil, flaxseed oil, and biotin.

Is Telogen Effluvium reversible or curable?

And yes I've had a blood test, and the Doctor didn't find anything.
LOL no.

I lift 5x a week and supplement with Whey + creatine and have made good progress the past couple of months with my hair.

Supe

Reaction score
Here are some more pictures I took. Two of them with wet hair.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 244
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 237
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 263

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't think you have male pattern baldness. You should go to your GP and ask for a blood test. Also going to the Immortal hair forums could help.

Supe

Reaction score
I've had blood tests done and he found nothing.

What do you think it could be?