Sunburnt Scalp

HARRYH

Reaction score
Hi All

Read somewhere (forget where!!) that a sunburnt scalp in some cases can lead to permanent damage of hair follicles. How likely is this?? Could a sunburnt scalp really lead to "permanent" hairloss?? :eek:

HH

G

HARRYH said:
Hi All

Read somewhere (forget where!!) that a sunburnt scalp in some cases can lead to permanent damage of hair follicles. How likely is this?? Could a sunburnt scalp really lead to "permanent" hairloss?? :eek:

HH

It's not really true - if you repeatedly sunburnt your scalp it would probably damage your scalp vut you would have to burn it very badly.

It's very difficult to sunburn areas where you have hair - the areas where you dont have hair will burn more easily but the follicles are already fucked there anyway.

I am under the impression that a little sunlightis good for the scalp.

HARRYH

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!! :)

Reason I ask is that the time I first noticed thinning on my crown, was a couple months after being badly sunburnt there!! It was bad enough that my scalp turn a lovely yellow colour & came off in lumps!! :freaked2:

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Burning the scalp causes severe inflammation which will lead to hair loss. This shouldn't be permanent for normal follicles but if you're follicles are alraedy weakened by male pattern baldness it may finish them off for good.

Full Head of Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
I've sunburnt my scalp alost once a summer for about the last 5 years (not on purpose mind you). This always happened because on the pounds of gel I would put in my hair after showering. Other than a tender scalp for a few days, it don't think it has any effect on hair loss. Unless of course, you got second degree sunburn, which would be extremely severe.