Sunburn on scalp cause hairloss?

Reaction score
Hey, just a quick question. For work this summer i'll be out in the sun all day. The thin areas on my head (im diffuse) might get sun burned. Will this cause hairloss or damage my scalp so i won't be as successful in regrowing hair with my treatments? What should i do? Apply suncreen on my scalp??? Thanks for any help!

Goingat20

Reaction score
you should be ok. there is some spray which you should be able to get from the supermarket/pharmacy which is like a sunscreen for your hair.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Goingat20 said:
you should be ok. there is some spray which you should be able to get from the supermarket/pharmacy which is like a sunscreen for your hair.
Know what it's called?

Goingat20

Reaction score
im not to sure, i will check it out next time im in the supermarket

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Goingat20 said:
im not to sure, i will check it out next time im in the supermarket
That'd be much appreciated, I started going out on the lake a ton and last summer I noticed a good amount of thinning over that time. Whether or not it was sun related I don't know, but I think a good sunscreen on the scalp & hair could only help!

Goingat20

Reaction score
:eek:opsblush: i will go to supermarket this weekend, n let u know

G

No, it does not created hairloss in my case.

I once shaved my head an dwent to the beach, on the night my head was pretty red like a tomato. Few days later my skin that got dried up by the sun, started to fall out, and new skin came up. Also, the new hair started growing up, and I never saw sign of thinning. Just the same hair I had before.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What I've heard: Sun damage triggers an immune response to wipe out all the damaged cells which is harmful to the hair follicles.

powersam

Reaction score
short term damage i think yeah, but not permanent

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My goal is to try to tan up my white scalp....how to do it without burning and peeling? I hate a white scalp!

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
Get a tan by all means, but don't stay out in the sun too long and get sunburn as I think sunburn can damage the follicles and accelarate hairloss. My dad lost all his hair by his early twenties and he was in the army stationed in hot countries with a crew cut. He believes that sunburn accelerated his hairloss. I think he might have a case as I am now older and still have quite a bit of hair. Of course, I might take after my mother's side of the family but I'm not going to risk staying out in the sun all day with no sun protection as I'm sure sunburn can't do your hair any good.

Polish

Reaction score
Hello,.I was out playing soccer and my scalp received little burn. In the evening my scalp was bright red but next day everything was fine.Can this accelerete loss?How much must one be in the sun and how exposed must the scalp be for hair loss to occur? I'm worried that it may be detremental to my hair. Thanks for any opinions.

newfie

Reaction score
my dermatologist suggested that I keep my scalp out of the sun through use of a hat. Damaging your scalp is not going to help any hair loss ordeals you are dealing with.

Polish

Reaction score
I don't know.It seems to cause a scalp inflammation(redness), which may exacerbate hair loss but now I don't see any thinning now

johnmanchester

Reaction score
opposite effect

hi all give up on trying to cure hairloss problem 1 year ago tried regaine and it made it worse, just came back to this forum today live in england went to spain for a week have been putting sun lotion on head plus also was putting cocoa butter on after to brown off plus -after sun lotion, all so i would get a tan on top guess what? i got regrowth coming back alot of very light fine hairs in parts were i first went bald plus thicker hairs in area were i went bald last!! even my 10 year old son commented on it, so i think ill be packing up and moving to spain!!! or was it the creams iv been using in combination i know the 2 after sun creams have vit-e?
anyone else had this happen?

hay just looking in the mirror and seeing a bit of hair on top makes me feel good, i know alot of men find there self confidence/esteem takes a knock through balding personally with me i think it has to do with that lost youth look am 33, i know if i were a cap i look younger, as far as the ladies are conserned i really dont think it matters too much have been body building for 2 years now and its starting to show grown vandike beard and been told i have a sort of mean look about me complete with shaved head started to get a lot of glanses from ladies have had a few oppotunites offered on a plate in last 2 years from good looking chicks although am married(sob sob) all since i lost my hair! who said being bald was all bad! come to think of it dont know if i want my hair back!!

bald and proud

see you all later and good luck

john