SULT1A1 (Minoxidil Sulfotransferase) enzyme booster significantly improves response to topical minoxidil for hair regrowth

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on tret+min premixed solution from Minmax for 3 months, no significant improvement in terms of regrowth, sadly.
If you are already a good responder to minoxidil, most probable you will not get benefit . Is like if you are going a good responder to finasteride, you will not have more regrowth if you change to Dutasteride .

Nostro300

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember seeing minoxidil sulfate being sold and then found out about this. Apparently,
Dose-response studies showed that minoxidil sulfate is 14 times more potent than minoxidil in stimulating cysteine incorporation in cultured follicles. Three drugs that block production of intrafollicular minoxidil sulfate were tested for their effects on drug-induced hair growth.

Minoxidil sulfate molecule is bigger than minoxidil base and that makes it even harder for your scalp to absorb it (hence why Kirkland and all other brands in the world still use basic minoxidil. It must be used in 10 to 15% concentration to conpensate for the lack of absorption)
When you take Oral minoxidil, it gets converted into Minoxidil sulfate and some people claim that to be one of the reasons why oral minoxidil shows better results than topical minoxidil (also because only 4% of the topical minoxidil penetrates your skin?) .

Anyway. Why bother with the enzime that converts minoxidil into Minoxidil sulfate when you can just bypass the enzime and get the active ingredient directly?

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its not stable enough for a profitable commercial product. Unless you are a labhead with good knowledge of chemical stability you're better off letting your liver or scalp convert it into sulfate.

Nostro300

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its not stable enough for a profitable commercial product. Unless you are a labhead with good knowledge of chemical stability you're better off letting your liver or scalp convert it into sulfate.
not stable enough in it's salt form?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
not stable enough in it's salt form?
It's highly unstable. That is why it's not sold in stores. The molecular weight is low and readily absorbed. The problem is that it won't last very long in solution before the sulfate bonds come apart. The result is that you have a solution containing minoxidil and sulfur. It will work just the same as regular minoxidil, but the free sulfur will degrade other compounds that you have added to the solution. If stored in the refrigerator minoxidil sulfate will be 20% degraded after a day. It's probably half active after a week. You could make weekly 10% batches and it would be very effective.

Nostro300

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
[At 4 °C, the degradation of minoxidil sulfate remained <15% for 22 h, but exceeded 60% and 85% at 25 and 37 °C, respectively. Therefore, for analysis of minoxidil sulfate by HPLC, the specimen should be stored at a maximum temperature of 4 °C.]
I didnt think it was so unstable
you could make weekly 10% batches and it would be very effective.
idk if they are talking about stability in solution or just the MinoxSulf salt it but Anyway, having to make such a solution so frequently it's a no no for me, too much of an hassle and I know I wouldnt be able to commit to it.
Any successful hair loss treatment is dependent on commitment and the easier it is to do (like just pop 1mg finast pill in the morning) the better

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah its a huge pain in the ***. If I worked in a lab environment I would for sure do it though, the efficacy is waaay better and you don't have to depend on SULT1A.

Nostro300

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah its a huge pain in the ***. If I worked in a lab environment I would for sure do it though, the efficacy is waaay better and you don't have to depend on SULT1A.
suppose one buys the MINX sulfate in salt form. What % of product can we expect to have been degraded by the time it arrives? (say 7 day shipping and median temp of 20ºC) ... basically we receive a bag of Minoxidil and Sulfur or it only starts to desintegrate when in solution?

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes the main problem is stability of the solution + the time the solution is trying to be absorbed in scalp. Its pretty tricky. Only way would be to do a daily fresh batch and test for stability every time probs. Someone basic lab knowledge doing this everyday would eventually find a way to do it reliably though. Problem is in your own home you might be losing ur time pouring useless minoxidil on your head.

If you are really determined to do it its possible I guess, but would require shitloads of trial and error until you find your method. (And this is exactly why there's no commercial product)

Nostro300

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes the main problem is stability of the solution + the time the solution is trying to be absorbed in scalp. Its pretty tricky. Only way would be to do a daily fresh batch and test for stability every time probs. Someone basic lab knowledge doing this everyday would eventually find a way to do it reliably though. Problem is in your own home you might be losing ur time pouring useless minoxidil on your head.

If you are really determined to do it its possible I guess, but would require shitloads of trial and error until you find your method. (And this is exactly why there's no commercial product)
some saudi arabian scientists did go the extra mile at incorporating minoxidil Sulfate into some kind of toppik like fibers and it was stable. No idea how effective it was as a vehicle tho, still interesting

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
da f*** lol, that would be the endgame.. minoxidil hair fibers, but hair fibers get stuck on hair not scalp?!

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
is there a gene test that one can take to see if they have this enzyme?
TrichoTest from Fagron includes genomic test of it (I have done it and tested positive for the enzyme as a minoxidil responder so seems legit)

Although there is a test (MinoxiTest) that measures directly in your scalp the response in converting minoxidil sulfate that might be even more accurate than looking at genes, but never tried it. The result is instant after putting a hair in a solution in theory.

baldingisthedevilscurse

My Regimen
Reaction score
TrichoTest from Fagron includes genomic test of it (I have done it and tested positive for the enzyme as a minoxidil responder so seems legit)

Although there is a test (MinoxiTest) that measures directly in your scalp the response in converting minoxidil sulfate that might be even more accurate than looking at genes, but never tried it. The result is instant after putting a hair in a solution in theory.
are you from the USA and if so how much did you pay for the trichotest?