Suggestion - side effect pole

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
I get the impression there is a significant number of people who worry about the side effects of finasteride/procepia/proscar viz. thinner semen, pains, libido etc. It may be that there are many without side effects who do not post. In the tests about 2% had problems and I was wondering if others thought it would be a good idea to start a pole to get a true representation of problems where those on finasteride say Y or N as to whether:

(A) They have side effects initially and then,

(B) If the effects continued after about a month or so of usage.

They could give their dose if it is different from the normal 1mg (or 1.25mg) /day.

G

you could but in my opinion people who post here and are on finasteride are much more likely to have sides than the whole propecia population. why do i think this? because many people on here b**ch about sides- it seems like half of people do. well 50% is way more than 2-3% so this poll would be unrepresentative. major sample size issues.

pratc

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I realise that but was thinking (hoping) more would be willing to say 'no side effect' if they were specifically asked to 'vote'. It would still be statistically skewed but give a better impression than what is given at the moment where nearly everyone has a problem.

JayMan, do you know if the 2% was for initial side effects or for those that lasted?

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So far only had one day of pains in my prostate area, which i'm assuming was the finasteride shrinking my prostate. but apart from that, no sides.

G

MPBWarrior said:
So far only had one day of pains in my prostate area, which i'm assuming was the finasteride shrinking my prostate. but apart from that, no sides.

that wasn't finasteride shrinking your prostate. that doesn't happen in one day and i doubt it even happened to you.

i think your pain was psychosomatic.

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
I hadn't experienced any sides in the 8-9 years I had been on Propecia.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
that wasn't finasteride shrinking your prostate. that doesn't happen in one day and i doubt it even happened to you.

i think your pain was psychosomatic.

Finasteride does shrink your prostate, that is what it was designed to do. It blocks the main growth factor (DHT) that is required to keep it at its current size.

There are no studies that attempt to find if Propecia will shrink health prostates, because it would scare users even if the rate of side effects are low. But the logical connection is there - DHT is an important survival factor for prostate cells. Cut it by 90% and those cells will die, causing the pain.

BUT - finasteride is the best current treatment for hair loss, and having a shrunken prostate doesn't really matter if you don't feel any side effects. Try it first, and if you don't get side effects, great. If you do, then look for alternatives.

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
bubka said:
its only going to shrink the prostate, if it was growing to begin with because it is sensitive to dht

EVERYONES prostate is sensitive to DHT so I'm not sure what you mean. It is questionable if it shrinks healthy prostates, however. dutasteride on the other hand...?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
bubka said:
its only going to shrink the prostate, if it was growing to begin with because it is sensitive to dht

I suspect that it WILL shrink even "normal" prostates, although I'll admit I haven't seen any scientific evidence for it, one way or the other.

Bryan

G

Man dutasteride must really shrink your prostate.

After beeing on finasteride for almost 3 years now, i've noticed that I have to go pee more frequently. That's probably the only side i can't think of.