Suffering From Post-finasteride Mental Sides? Read Here for a Solution

Donny J

Established Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake of originally calling this the cure to brain fog (I have another thread on this), but after quitting propecia twice now, I realize that what I was experiencing at the time when I tested this solution wasn't actually brain fog, but was instead a post-finasteride mental crash which left my mind in a complete 24/7 haze (I use the term "haze", rather than "fog" or "brain fog" because while the symptoms are close, I found the experience to be quite different).

A quick background & then I'll explain what I did to cure myself from the PFS mental sides:

I was on finasteride for 3 1/2 years. I had experienced brain fog in the past, so I know that I'm pre-disposed to potential mental sides. After 2 1/2 years on the drug, I began to develop a strange reaction to anxiety/stress, which led to high light sensitivity, headaches, and even a migraine (which I don't have a history of). After a several months of this, I eliminated other potential causes for it, with no such luck. It was at that time which I reluctantly decided to blame the finasteride, and I took myself off of the drug. After being off the drug for 3-4 weeks, my symptoms only got worse & I fell into this 24/7 haze I mentioned above. Shortly after, I began using the solution below, and within 2 days, I felt like myself again -- it was night & day.

After this settled, I decided to get back on the finasteride, sine I didn't feel any better when off of it (and I actually got worse, which I know now was due to a PFS crash -- I didn't know that was a thing at the time). I was on it for almost another year, when I started to experience intermittent hazes + a continuation of the stress/light-sensitivity/headaches. I decided enough was enough, and I was going to get off of the drug once more, this time for longer than last. Again, 3-4 weeks after quitting, I experienced the same 24/7 mental haze. Doing some reading, I only then found that this was a semi-common effect of quitting. I got on my vitamin regimen again (below), and within 2 days I started feeling better. Only after a few days of being on the vitamins, I decided to quit them to test out a.) if I was cured that quickly, and b.) to verify that the vitamins were actually the reason for me feeling better. A day or two after being off of the vitamins, I began to feel like **** again. Starting the vitamins once more, I began feeling 100% again...confirmed -- this was 3 times now where the vitamins proved to fix me during a PFS mental crash.

Without further rambling, my cure is the following:

-Butterbur (50mg, 3X daily)
--i've used a couple different types of this now, all with the same effectiveness

-Niacin (500mg, "flush free", 3X daily)
--most pharmacies will carry this, OTC

-Ginkgo Biloba (120mg, 3X daily)
--most pharmacies will carry this, OTC

...after 2 weeks, I dropped down to 2X daily, one more week and then 1X daily, then one more week and I got off the vitamins and have been feeling fine every since.

feel free to ask any questions.

WangMQ

Established Member
Reaction score
Do we have any idea how this regime actually works? I am curious about how you came up with it in the first place. What made you pick these particular supplements up?

Also, have you tried taking these supplements while on finasteride to see if it eases the sides?

Regards.

Ramchops

Reaction score
I would also love to know if it helps deal with the mental sides of finasteride. Every time I begin it I experience this haze within 24 hours of taking the drug. Still not sure if it's just my body going through an adjustment period or if it has to do with neurosteroid inhibition or what not.

farisayeh

Reaction score
try st john worts;;it works by inhibiting reuptake of gaba...finasteride alter neurosteroid(alloprenalone,thdoc)..theanine,kava, and st john worts can fix this problem.