Suddenly Stopping Finasteride And Minoxidil Treatments

Balding Boulder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I want to know what happens if — after being on finasteride and minoxidil for many years, you just stop using them. This isn't because I'm thinking of doing this myself, but I'm just interested to know in the science.

Let's say a NW1 18-year-old started daily finasteride/minoxidil treatment up until he was 30. For some reason, he can't be bothered anymore and decides to stop both. What would happen? I know in the case of finasteride, your hair is meant to revert back to its usual state after six months. The thing that I want to know is if all those hairs he was destined to lose in his late teens and early 20s would drop out in quick time. After all, if your DHT levels go up by 70%, combined with the susceptibility these follicles have, would a NW1 suddenly become a NW4?

Incinerate

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yo, minoxidil gains are supposed to be lost 3-6 months after you stopped.
Finasteride is more complex, you can lose your gain gradually the first year, or hairloss can just start moving again at the same pace as before like it was paused.

Truth is, nobody knows sh1t about this because it's fckin bro science, and it is fckin bro science because the way these meds work is not 100% mastered. So depends of the case, some people will lose it all, some will maintain a bit before eventually losing it all. Some will not lose anything before years. Here you go

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah it's probably something like that of the above post. I know I've seen ppl who've gone to prison on it, obviously can't get the prescription in there, and come out a year or two later and they were skulled.

Balding Boulder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I often wish I had started a daily finasteride regime when I was 18, given I started going bald arguably at 14. I wouldn't be the Norwood 3 or 4 I am today. I dabbled with minoxidil several times in my early 20s, but it wasn't until I was 26 I got a proper regime going.

The only consolation might be that the most sensitive hairs have gone, meaning I'm left with the more resistant hairs that hopefully have a much longer lifespan. I'm glad to say my hair loss doesn't seem to have advanced in the last four years, so when I opt for a hair transplant within the next couple of years, I'll be able to take the evidence to the surgeon at the consultation.