Suddenly, minoxidil is working, but also sides

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
Seems the last few days my scalp has suddenly, completely out of the blue, realised what I'm trying to do.

Having seen no results, sides, or anything of note whatsoever for the first 2 or 2 1/2 months of minoxidil (and therefore considering giving up) I now see a very sudden benefit, as if from nowhere. Hair up top is thicker and I am happier with it.

However, I am also experiencing the common sides:

Slightly puffier face, seems to come and go.

Slightly curlier eyelashes.

Slightly thicker eyebrows, looks pretty cool at the moment.

I now need to shave every day... actually for the first time in my life I have shaved 3 consecutive days. I have never needed to do that before! Even after shaving I have a slightly unshaven stubble look... as even the stubble under the skin is thicker.

The worst side I am experiencing, ingrown eyelashes... my right lower eyelid has in fact swollen up today due to this... ouch. Something is going on with my eyelash follicles. I have always had naturally very long eyelashes, so certainly wouldn't expect many to experience this effect.

I can't remember how long I've been on minoxidil exactly, but I would say 2 to 2-3 months maximum. All these benefits and sides have become apparent in the last 3 or 4 days only. I've been applying Dr Lee's quick drying 5% minoxidil on [usually] wet hair in the morning, and on dry hair at night. I will probably fall back to once daily application soon, and on dry hair only.

Dr Lee's minoxidil dries very quickly and does not make the hair as wet in general as other forms of minoxidil, hence my decision to apply when hair was wet to increase absorbtion. Unfortunately though, I have some minor systemic absorbtion effects as above.

But, don't want to freak anyone out in the slightest. Been impressed overall.

agent_sam

Reaction score
why do u guys apply it to wet scalp, it says in bold letters on REGAINE
scalp should be thoroughly dry

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
in my view, dry scalp and Ro/egaine is probably nearly identical to wet scalp and Dr Lee's 5% minoxidil.

Dr Lee's will typically dry in about 10-20 seconds on a dry scalp. Compare that to normal rogaine, which may take 30 mins to 2 hours to completely dry out.

agent_sam

Reaction score
jambri said:
in my view, dry scalp and Ro/egaine is probably nearly identical to wet scalp and Dr Lee's 5% minoxidil.

Dr Lee's will typically dry in about 10-20 seconds on a dry scalp. Compare that to normal rogaine, which may take 30 mins to 2 hours to completely dry out.

dude, im not sayin how long it takes to dry,
the rogaine prescription says it should never be applied to wet scalp
i dnt know why not? maybe so that it doesnt get into the blood stream or get absorbed in other areas of the body

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
It will allow the minoxidil to diffuse to other areas of the scalp..