Sudden minituarization?

YoungAndThin

Established Member
Reaction score
Alot of the hairs I'm losing seem to minituarize right away and not gradually.

I have very thick and coarse hair and by looking at some of my hair that fall out I can see that my hair goes from very thick and coarse to extremely thin right away with no gradual thinning.

Does anyone else experience this?

It's a huge sudden change from thick to thin. Damn at this rate I'm really gonna be fucked over by male pattern baldness.

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
YoungAndThin said:
Alot of the hairs I'm losing seem to minituarize right away and not gradually.

I have very thick and coarse hair and by looking at some of my hair that fall out I can see that my hair goes from very thick and coarse to extremely thin right away with no gradual thinning.

Does anyone else experience this?

It's a huge sudden change from thick to thin. Damn at this rate I'm really gonna be fucked over by male pattern baldness.

Well, I don't think I have that exactly but I do seem to be losing my hair without the minituarization process taking place. It is happening on my temples, mainly right and the hairs just seem to disappear as my bald area grows everyday. And you are right about being fucked by male pattern baldness if this is really what is happening to us.

I used to think the process of minituarization was as follows:
very robust hairs with 7 year Anagen replaced by
robust with 6 year Anagen replaced by
slightly less robust with 5 year Anagen replaced by
moderate with 4 year Anagen replaced by
less moderate with 3 year Anagen replaced by
thin with 2 year Anagen replaced by
thinner with 1 year Anagen replaced by
very thin with a few weeks Anagen replaced by
nothing

Now I think the minituarization process is more like this:
very robust with 7 Year Anagen replaced by
thin with 2 year Anagen replaced by
nearly invisible with 1 months Anagen replaced by
nothing

I am certainly no expert, but since this whole thing started for me 4 onths ago that is what it seems like to me, although on my temples its more like this:
totally normal hair with 7 year Anagen replaced by
nothing

YoungAndThin

Established Member
Reaction score
I always thought male pattern baldness was a slow gradual process. Not something as sudden as this.

damn I wish i had 10 years.
at the rate I'm going at I'll be lucky to have hair at the end of the year.
Over the past 8 months my hair loss has been extremely fast. I went from a full thick head of hair 8 months ago to having some pretty noticeable thinning now.

G

Just spoke about this on another thread.

Maybe this will enlighten you:

The alopecia in male pattern baldness is caused by progressive miniaturization, rather than destruction of involved hair follicles. In affected follicles, the percentage of hairs in telogen is increased and the duration of anagen is decreased. As a consequence, there is relatively more shedding in areas affected by male pattern baldness. Since vellus and intermediate hairs have a short anagen phase, they will shed frequently. There can be permanent hair loss because the replacement hair shaft is finer in texture and lacks the same volume.

The age of onset and the rate of progression of male pattern baldness are genetically controlled and cannot be predicted. There are times of remission and, alternately, times of acceleration. When there is a period of acceleration, it is often proceeded by a telogen effluvium. male pattern baldness can proceed with alarming speed and everyone is familiar with stories of men who went bald ‘overnight’. Unfortunately (and understandably) the patient will blame whatever event or treatment coincided with the accelerated hair loss. It is the philosophical fallacy of post hoc, ergo propter hoc, i.e. "after this, therefore, because of this". Since the dramatic miniaturization of the follicle occurs within one single hair growth cycle, these patients are poorly responsive to treatment and reversing the male pattern baldness is improbable

I guess you guys may have had a bum deal with the male pattern baldness - get some strong topicals on your temples and cross your fingers.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the rapid miniturisation usually occurs first and undeniably at the temples, for some ppl together with the entire hairline.

This is why its always near impossible to regrow hair at the temples.For those who had success with temples, its either

1) temple loss is recent

2) Androgen recpetor amount/sensitivity is considerebaly low at the temples

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
YoungAndThin said:
I always thought male pattern baldness was a slow gradual process. Not something as sudden as this.

damn I wish i had 10 years.
at the rate I'm going at I'll be lucky to have hair at the end of the year.
Over the past 8 months my hair loss has been extremely fast. I went from a full thick head of hair 8 months ago to having some pretty noticeable thinning now.

I'm with you on the 10 years. I would make a deal right now to be completely bald in 10 years if I could have my hairloss take 10 years. I might even do it for 5. I'll be lucky to have anything at the end of the year also.

By the way, I am not on any topicals, but seriously considering going on some now.

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
I was also to believe male pattern baldness was a process which took years to progress and not rapidly in just 3 months :?

fritz96

Reaction score
neiltom88 said:
Just spoke about this on another thread.

Since the dramatic miniaturization of the follicle occurs within one single hair growth cycle, these patients are poorly responsive to treatment and reversing the male pattern baldness is improbable

This is what I don't understand, if DHT is responsible either way why don't the topicals work as well?

lossing my hair

Established Member
Reaction score
male pattern baldness for all is a hard process, but for us that 8 month ago never thought of hair loss and boom! all of a sudden in a 3 month process lost half of our hair on top is even worst. when one losses his hair at a slow rate with time even if it's hard one will accept it, but for us it's so hard to do such a thing when is all of a sudden and unexpected. at least for me it was. everything changes. i have family that i have 5 to 6 month i don't see, that i had thicker hair than, that will be so surprise if they see me now.

GoldenBear

Reaction score
I went home for christmas and got no comments, from family and freinds. Went home at spring break and my sister said someting. Now i get comments from my freinds almost daily. Its only been 4 months. I seriously cant believe how fast my hair has thined out, especially on the crown. Since it was in the back i never even noticed, but im sure everyone else will. This has been so traumatic. If I had some warning I could have gone on finasteride earlier but no i wasnt that fortunate.

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
GoldenBear said:
I went home for christmas and got no comments, from family and freinds. Went home at spring break and my sister said someting. Now i get comments from my freinds almost daily. Its only been 4 months. I seriously cant believe how fast my hair has thined out, especially on the crown. Since it was in the back i never even noticed, but im sure everyone else will. This has been so traumatic. If I had some warning I could have gone on finasteride earlier but no i wasnt that fortunate.

Well, you can always go on finasteride now, but after reading some recent posts on finasteride, I am losing confidence in it. I went on finasteride after a short delay thinking things would stop or at least stop progressing so rapidly, but its been six days short of 3 months, with little or no positive result noticeable.

I applied minoxidil for the first time today, but I am really not sure I can hack it. It seems like kind of a big deal to have to apply that sh*t 2x a day everyday. It seems I am left with little choice, though from what I've read here, I shouldn't be expecting much.

juststarting

Established Member
Reaction score
rapidfrontal said:
Well, you can always go on finasteride now, but after reading some recent posts on finasteride, I am losing confidence in it. I went on finasteride after a short delay thinking things would stop or at least stop progressing so rapidly, but its been six days short of 3 months, with little or no positive result noticeable.

I applied minoxidil for the first time today, but I am really not sure I can hack it. It seems like kind of a big deal to have to apply that sh*t 2x a day everyday. It seems I am left with little choice, though from what I've read here, I shouldn't be expecting much.

Well, 3 months is too soon to tell. Wait 1 year and report back, Sorry :)

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
juststarting said:
rapidfrontal said:

Well, 3 months is too soon to tell. Wait 1 year and report back, Sorry :)

Yeah, that's what I understand, I just hope I have hair at the 1 year mark.

GoldenBear

Reaction score
Yeah I went on finasteride pretty much right away. Just wish I had noticed earlier, I dont think i can pull off the shaved head. I have blond hair so I think that might be the reason I never noticed, it doesnt contrast my scalp.

lossing my hair

Established Member
Reaction score
this sudden hair loss situation has added so much stress to my life, i came to the conclusion that from today on i'm going to research for the best hair transplant doctor and save money for a hair transplant for a year. if in 1 year i don't see results from finasteride and recover from some Telogen Effluvium hair loss that i believe i have. i'm going for it. i need to move on with my life and this is stopping me.

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
Im roughly at month 6 now started shedding somewhere about November time.I seem to have regrowth sprouting up all over the place.the thinner areas's are taking the longest to notice regrowth but they are gradually coming through one by one.The front where ive receeded small hairs are growing back but i accepted this might be down to male pattern baldness and im not so much concerned about it im more concerned about the density on the top.So as im at month 6 and noticing regrowth it will take another 6 months for these hairs to make any impact so hopefully around the year mark i should be more or less back to recovery in theory but with this T.E anything can happen so i aint getting my hopes up.Going to get it cut a lot shorter later on today as my hair is longish so hopefully by cutting it shorter i maybe able to notice the regrowth more but there again i could end up a lot worse with it exposing the scalp more. :oops:

j25

Established Member
Reaction score
My guess is that most of the guys having this sudden minutiarization are in their late teens or early twenties. These people are likely to be hit extremely hard by male pattern baldness, that's at least my own empirical observation.

I am in my mid-twenties and have recently experienced the same: rapid thinning on top, which happened almost overnight.
Been on finasteride for almost ten months now and will be really happy if i can stop the thinning on top for at least a couple of years, before jumping to something stronger. Not sure if i'm gonna succeed, but the thinning on top seems to have remained more or less stable for the last couple of months. Temples are decaying rather drastically, though.
Considerable regrowth is one bridge too far for us sudden thinners, i fear.

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
My guess is that most of the guys having this sudden minutiarization are in their late teens or early twenties. These people are likely to be hit extremely hard by male pattern baldness, that's at least my own empirical observation.
Actually I am 34 and never had any sign of hairloss up until Dec 04. People have said things like this to me before and it gives me a little optimism, but the fact remains that my temples are disappearing before my very eyes. I just got out of the shower and my right temple is worse than it was just yesterday. Amazing.

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got back from having my hair cut short im pleased with it.The front isnt as bad as i imagined on top i have my thin areas.But now i have it short my scalp is full of red spots what the hell is these red spots :shock: