Such thing as a Propecia Shed??

jeffsss

Reaction score
Been on propecia for over a month now and every time i run my fingers though my hair i probabaly pull 5-10 hairs.

shower is worse.

????????????

propecia/nizoral 2-3X weekly.

fallicule

Established Member
Reaction score
Nope, no such thing as a propecia shed.

There's also not a search function on this site, so don't bother using it.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
jeffsss said:
Been on propecia for over a month now and every time i run my fingers though my hair i probabaly pull 5-10 hairs.

shower is worse.

????????????

Yes, I have been experiencing the same. And I have been on it for 20 days. Top is so thin now; you would not believe the difference between Sept.3 and now. I can't bring myself to take photos anymore. I nauseate myself.

Anticipating your next question: It is not possible to determine if/when this shedding will stop. Or if the hair you lost will ever return. I have seen guys reporting shedding for 8 months.

jeffsss

Reaction score
Weepy said:
jeffsss said:

shower is worse.

????????????

Yes, I have been experiencing the same. And I have been on it for 20 days. Top is so thin now; you would not believe the difference between Sept.3 and now. I can't bring myself to take photos anymore. I nauseate myself.

Anticipating your next question: It is not possible to determine if/when this shedding will stop. Or if the hair you lost will ever return. I have seen guys reporting shedding for 8 months.

I'm wondering if getting on propecia was the wrong thing to do now.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
jeffsss said:
I'm wondering if getting on propecia was the wrong thing to
do now.

No, I don't believe it is the wrong thing to do. Propecia should not trigger these sheds we've been hearing about. But something does seem to be going on. If you can tolerate it, stick with it. I am going through some bad sheds. I am miserable, and I don't want to be seen. But I am going to stick it out.

SE-freak

Reaction score
jeffsss said:

shower is worse.

????????????

I am losing 700 hairs daily and its my 3rd week on minoxidil. Feeling better now?

Ride it out.

jeffsss

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
jeffsss said:

shower is worse.

????????????

I am losing 700 hairs daily and its my 3rd week on minoxidil. Feeling better now?

Ride it out.

yes as a matter of fact it does. damn dude i feel for you.

I really hope i never get to that level.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
I am losing 700 hairs daily and its my 3rd week on minoxidil.

SE-freak,

Your regimen does not say when you began treatment. Can you put that information in your space?

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak...

you´re a freakin newbie....´

...but you´ve been all over the site postin advice like whatever...

sh*t. I listened to you...

SE-freak

Reaction score
Bash:

It had not occured to me that sane judgement is proportional to the number of days on propecia. Feel free to ignore my advice now that you have exposed me.

I am sure you are aware that after this, you have to point out which of the things I have said up to now you find misleading, biased or stupid, so that I can edit those posts and save noobs from disaster.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
it just amazes me that you´ve amassed such knowledge, and have only been on the big three for less than four weeks. Reading your posts I mistook you for a going on 2 years+ veteran...

information is glorious, and I´m glad that you have it, and it all seems legit...but jesus, you´re still brand spankin new to the active fight, u lack of good ol field experience...

u know what...this was not a personal attack, just an expression of my disappointment that your resources are all book/forum related and not out of personal experience. Its good that you have the regimen dates written out, i´ll give you that.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Bash said:
it just amazes me that you´ve amassed such knowledge, and have only been on the big three for less than four weeks. Reading your posts I mistook you for a going on 2 years+ veteran...

Well, excuse me Bash, I should post things like "aaargh" or"wtf?" and the like, as newbies do.

u know what...this was not a personal attack, just an expression of my disappointment that your resources are all book/forum related and not out of personal experience.

"out of personal experience"??!! Now you dissapoint me.

So you value generalizations like " propecia does not work" or "minoxidil destroys hairlines" if the poster is entitled to extract universal rules by his long term personal experience. Right?

That is not a wise tactic Bash and, although this is coming from a newbie, you should seriously reevaluate the way you extract conclusions.

While (judging from your posts up to now) your profile is a mixture of frustration and despair, your nick is honest and indicative of your attitude. I'll give you that.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
Note that what I view as a generalisation is the kind of info that everybody seems to be passing around, like fancy telogen phrases, shedding terminology, time assumptions, regimen constituents and such. These are the true generalisations, passed on by some phantom author. So claims written by individual posters seem just as real to me.

What we lack is more people posting personal experience, as generalisations are easily found everywhere on this forum. Newbies on this forum are greatful for this...I'm sure. But you spread these generalisations as they are truths without even having tried them out first.

I think anybody that's been on the hair loss scene for a while can tell you how frustrating it is to read assurances/facts whose validity is not backed up by them personally.

Assuring others to reassure themselves is the main idea here, kinda delusional.

I say try it, see if all the info you got is somewhat true, and then come back and tell people about your personal experience compared to what's written in the books/forums. Don't tell people to ride it out, if you haven't done it yourself (all the way), or you might regret having given that advice some day if you find out that it was wrong.

My tactic is to do my homework in terms of general research and THEN to listen to someone who has personally tried something to obtain legit experience to compare to all the generalisations/data. After that I try it myself and compare. Then I take the liberty of disposing advice.

That's the only way to get some fresh truth into the system, otherwise I´d just be spreading a generalisation that could be a lie.

SE-freak

Reaction score
So, my fault was telling some panicked poster to ride it out. I see.

I believe that our disagreement stems from the way we find purpose to this forum. You seem to be trying to find truth- fresh truth- in other's testimonials.

How about the scientific truth that is given and is covered by all kinds of panicked frustration posts like yours?

I am not a scientist or an apostle. I am not preaching truth-I am here to discuss. If you judge based on postcount or personal experience then your fresh truth is stale. Judge by your logic. You are in search of a leader.

If you find any of my posts misleading, since this is a discussion board and not a ranking comitee, disagree with me. Express your view and show how mine is distorted. You are not arguing with me, you are questioning my right to express my views as I am not entitled to.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
yes, I guess i am questioning your right to express your views. The right to reassure people even if possibly with a lie.

My ARGUMENT to most of your scientific claims is simple...how do you really know if they're true if you haven't heard of their validity personally? If the knowledge has just been handed down to you and is untried?

Don't tell a panicked poster to calm down if you can't back up the reason to why he should. Sure, direct them towards the science...but don't claim its the truth...because you just don't know, do you? I have nothing against science, in fact I know that one of the pillars of science is having solid observable facts.

I believe a panic is just as valid an expression as any other and should not be subdued with some widespread knowledge that has been unproven at a personal level. The panic should be acknowledged as it leads to questions....which in my opinion should be answered honestly from personal experince as well as scientific backing.

And no, I'm not looking for a leader, quite the opposite. I'm looking for a fellow sufferer to tell me what they've gone through, not just information handed to me from an unquestionable pedistal.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Bash said:
yes, I guess i am questioning your right to express your views. The right to reassure people even if possibly with a lie.

You have no right to question my right. And now I expect you to quote specific words and tell me where I am wrong. I am getting tired of this.

My ARGUMENT to most of your scientific claims is simple...how do you really know if they're true if you haven't heard of their validity personally? If the knowledge has just been handed down to you and is untried?

I know the FDA trials results hold much more validity than any testimonial.
Thousands of lab-rats are better than one, even if according to your system of evaluation it has gone through all hair loss hell. I wouldn't take anyone's word for granted. I am very, VERY careful when I phrase my opinion- if you search through my posts you will verify this. If you think that by having a few years of hair loss history behind you you will make me weigh yours or anyone's views differently, then you are terribly wrong.

Don't tell a panicked poster to calm down if you can't back up the reason to why he should.

The reason why he should is that hairloss treatments prerequire consistency to give fruits. And sheds are expected. You are doing much more damage by spreading panic through bashlike posts.

because you just don't know, do you?
But if were 6 years of propecia with gyno, e.d and no bodyhair I would know, right? If you are going to start giving advice according to your personal experience when you complete your qualification trials then don't bother, cause you are not meeting my criteria.

in fact I know that one of the pillars of science is having solid observable facts.

Who said otherwise?

I believe a panic is just as valid an expression as any other and should not be subdued with some widespread knowledge that has been unproven at a personal level.

You are being so demagogic here, I should stop talking to you for this very sentence. Did I ever say that panic is not a valid expression? (btw "personal level proof" is a great term- congratulations).

The panic should be acknowledged as it leads to questions....which in my opinion should be answered honestly from personal experince as well as scientific backing.

So you have obviously interpreted my suggestion to ride it out as a "STFU", right? I believe you see them how you want them. I wouldn't want your "personal level proof" for sure.

I'm looking for a fellow sufferer to tell me what they've gone through, not just information handed to me from an unquestionable pedistal.

You are looking for a fellow sufferer so that you can growl "aaaargh" together under the full moon, your valid expression of agony which will lead to questions. Yes, I know.

I guess I should let the 6y into finasteride md2002 poster wonder why he is shedding while he has halved his daily finasteride dosage. Because... who knows?

Well Bash no one knows. You are preaching in favor of a new ranking system judging credibility according to personal experience. We are not a pack of lions to respect the elder male here. We are in a discussion forum and every view has questionable weight. If you want to counter any of my destructive posts do it on site please. And say why you think it is wrong.

Protesting in favour of your right and anyones right to spread panic undisturbed is as pathetic as reassuring others to reassure yourself. I have never done either.

Logic spits in the face of personal experience. It always did.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
you're taking this a bit "personally", No need for sarcasm. The very fact that you're criticizing my aargh post shows your panic intolerance.

And if you bothered to notice, it was looking for answers that are STILL unanswered.(please, no puns about lack of commitment from other posters)

Tell me what's wrong with wanting to hear, "man, i've BEEN there and it's gonna work out" instead of "everyone says it gonna be alright, so it must be true"...

You're a firm believer in the medical facts and general widespread knowledge and I respect that, but it's a pity that you weigh personal experience so low. I hope for your sake and ours that the knowldege that's out there and that we believed in so firmly pans out and that you don't find yourself thinkin..."man, maybe I should've listened more to those panicked bunch and tried this out first".

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bash said:
Tell me what's wrong with wanting to hear, "man, i've BEEN there and it's gonna work out"

You will find many opinions on this (and other) forums, they are all ultimately moot if not backed up by clinical/trial data.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they are, but I'd like to see an honest answer to my questions...to see at least if they exist. A lot of similar experiences must have some sort of value in forming an own opinion.

And by the way, I have a question to both SE and radio, and hope for an honest reply despite the previous banter...you both say that propecia sheds are not likely...

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=21632

yet you stand firm on the ride it out bit, why is that? is it simply because there is no other choice?