success with finasteride alone!!! (11 1/2 months) :-)

MEvsMPB

Reaction score
Hi guys,
just wanted to share my (successful) story with you.

so here is it

I'm currently 19 years old and suffered from male pattern baldness since the end of 2004, well, maybe even since I was 16, I remember comments on my temples back then

At 18 I was sitting at my barber shop and gettin a hair cut from a young woman.

"your hair is gettin thin in the back. You also are losing in the temple area"

I freaked out. 18 years. The prophecy of my (bald) father came true. I looked at the mirror. It was true. No real bald spot yet but definately heavy thinning going on there. My father was Norwood 4 at the age of 25.

Rushed to the derm, he informed me, he himself was a Norwood 7. He talked about DHT and Propecia and that it's expensive and wasn't paid by insurance. He said it'll cost 50$/month.

I talked to my parents. 50 $ was a lot but he understood me. Told me about himself sitting in the bathtub crying because of all his hairs in the shower. Told me about the 70s when long hair was a must.
How he drove to a clinic and they could do nothing for him back then.

So I informed me in the internet and heard about proscar. seemed reasonable to me. 5 mg pill that only costs about the same but lasts 4 times longer when spilit into quarters.

BTW I'm ordering from qhi.

Now the good news

:D

Today, 1 year after I started my hairloss treatment my vertex has 90% recovered and nobody can tell that there was ever hairloss.
The temples have recovered also, I would say half an inch, which doesn't sound much, but it makes a real difference, trust me !

The process went down like this:

month 1: nothin really happened

month 2: some really heavy shedding set in, my t shirt was covered by dozens if not hundreds of hairs every day.

month 3: The bottom i think, shedding had stopped, hair looked kinda bad

month 4-5: some heavy regrowth was going on!!! :) At the End of month 5 my vertex hat recovered about 50%, temples 20%

month 6-now: additional regrowth, now temples 50% recovered, vertex 90%

There are also still some very small colorless hairs in my temples, which came out of bald skin during the last year, I hope they will fully recover as well, it's like time is going backwards, it seems like the body has astonishing recovery abilities!

As far as sides go, hmm let me think, weight gain? due to finasteride? no, just went down from 2x fencing, 2x soccer and 3x weight lifting per week to only weight lifting after I finished school, so I think thats the reason for those 6 lbs.

As far as libido issues go I have to say I can't tell, cuz honestly I never banged while off finasteride.
I have to add that I had a heavy surgery 5 months ago where a titanium paar of more than 1 foot length was implanted in my thorax.
Lately my sexual ability was compromised somehow, but most of the incidents were at 5am after a night of medium to heavy drinking or when I was ill.
While being ill it was very horrible and excessively painful to cough with that bar inside your chest but I was able to bang successfully 4 times in 36 hours.
So I can't tell if finasteride affects my libido there are many other factors, one thing that stands AGAINST sides, is the fact that during holidays I was able to bang up to 3 times nearly in a row and was 4 months on finasteride at that time, so I think its other factors at the moment (maybe the winter season, stress at college etc.)

Bottom line is finasteride worked great for me and I'm very happy currently!
Good luck to all of you guys

:wink:

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Awesome!
I'm thrilled to hear that you're getting results with Propecia alone.
Good job, man.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Oh yeah,
did you experience any more shedding when you were on treatment after 6 months?

I went through some pretty bad sheds from month 8-10, which caused me to freak out and go on dutasteride. Probably should have waited.

Also, are you cutting the Proscar into quarters or fifths?

That's so f*****g cool that your dad came through. My dad makes fun of me for my thinning hair.

Thanks so much,

MEvsMPB

Reaction score
hmm, I had some pretty bad shedding in month 7, but I think the reason for it was the surgery, general anestesia, morphines etc. and I was off finasteride during the hospital stay (10 days)

But nothin major really, I just continued finasteride and everything was fine again.
Don't freak out about shedding, its often the first step to additional regrowth because the fallen out hairs come back stronger.

I used to cut them into quarters and now I'm lowering the dosage to 0,83mg/day (six pieces) for four months to see how it goes.

Britannia

Reaction score
God I wish I had done that when I was 18. You got in there right away and sorted the problem before it started! Well done, great story.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Congratulations man!

What is your reasoning for cutting down your dose?

Do you have any before or after pics?

MEvsMPB

Reaction score
I took some before pics to compare them after 12 months, but my pc didn't survive 12 month without a serious hardware crash, so there ain't any before pics now.

I reduced the dose because I saw the DHT lvl / finasteride chart,

there is only a small difference in DHT level when you compare 1,5mg to 0,5mg daily, so switching from 1,25 to 0,83 should be no problem, as I said I'll try this for four month to see how it goes.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
MEvsMPB said:
I took some before pics to compare them after 12 months, but my pc didn't survive 12 month without a serious hardware crash, so there ain't any before pics now.

I reduced the dose because I saw the DHT lvl / finasteride chart,

there is only a small difference in DHT level when you compare 1,5mg to 0,5mg daily, so switching from 1,25 to 0,83 should be no problem, as I said I'll try this for four month to see how it goes.

Where did you see this chart?

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

My results are almost exactly the same as this guys. I am now reaching the 1 year mark and continue to have a few weeks of virtually no shedding and then a few weeks where I get about 30 hairs coming out in the shower. My temples had shedded around month 3 and now have grown back with hair that is dark but thin. Overall I feel like finasteride has really helped the coverage on both the vertex and hairline but my hair is thin and not too easy to shape. I have before and after photos that clearly show that finasteride has helped the look of my hair, the results are not miraclulous but my hair has improved. That being said, I can't really quantify whether the hairs shadts themselves have changed thickness but the coverage has certainly improved.
BTW I have also used minoxidil once a day since the start of treatment. Side effects are minimal as I have a slight decrease in volume of loads and the very occasional labido drop but it is very very minimal may even could be a placibo effect. I am 25, I would say I am a diffuse thinner and I am really between a normal hairline and a Norwood-2 as my hairline is not a horseshoe shape but it is clear that it has receeded a bit.

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Congratulations, good for you, mang

I was lurking on this site about 10 months ago because of massive shedding and eventually the early signs of a balding spot. I tried all the herbal sh*t and tried using stress as a scapegoat. I finally came across a poster (I wish I knew his name) who basically stop being scared and handle your sh*t.

Ten months later, my hair is almost restored to its original state and I am actually growing it out. I promised myself I would come back and contribute to this site. I think Internet discussions warp reality in the sense that usually only unsatisfied people complain and the satisfied forget about to come back.

Well, to anyone who is in doubt, finasteride and minoxidil are vanity's crack. No sexual drawbacks. Stop ridin' the fence nucca, handle your business. Thank you to the site and peace to everyone who contributes regardless of the results.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Great remarks, guys. I'm glad the treatment is working. Please keep us updated!