Success With dutasteride After Failing With finasteride?

Mac12345

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced success with maintenance/regrowth on Dutastride after failing with Finastride, experiencing extended shedding.

Mac12345

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks dude. I know it is a disputed subject, but do you think it works for frontal/temple recession?

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks dude. I know it is a disputed subject, but do you think it works for frontal/temple recession?

Not very likely. i used finasteride for 2 years, experienced loss of hairline after fist year, and have now been on.dutasteride for a year and 2 months and have experienced loss of hairline the entire time and its still going.

Mac12345

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not very likely. i used finasteride for 2 years, experienced loss of hairline after fist year, and have now been on.dutasteride for a year and 2 months and have experienced loss of hairline the entire time and its still going.

Perhaps it is finasteride still in your system causing the shedding while on dutasteride?

My experience on finasteride was a 6 month shed, I have been off it for like 2 months and I'm still shedding - never shed before finasteride. I've heard a story of a guy in a similar position and dutasteride stopped his shedding.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it is finasteride still in your system causing the shedding while on dutasteride?

My experience on finasteride was a 6 month shed, I have been off it for like 2 months and I'm still shedding - never shed before finasteride. I've heard a story of a guy in a similar position and dutasteride stopped his shedding.

Nope, i havent touched finasteride in a year and a half.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
The picture with red is before i ever started any treatments. now i have thinning on, behind and throughout my scalp. hairline got 10x worse. but im out of options as a male. cant go the spironolactone route or anything. ive also tried seti, minoxidil, etc.. i truly do not believe hairlines can be saved by finasteride or dutasteride. MAKE SURE YOU GET BLOOD WORK BEFORE STARTING so if what happened to me happens to you, you will know why

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 932
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 919

Alle Kosten

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow that is really bad. I had great hair when I started Finasteride and only took it to prevent any loss. However several months after starting I started noticing my hair density thinning and lots of hair in the drain. I figured it was Telogen Effluvium from initially starting but it just kept getting worse until I got off it 2 and a half years later. I started Dutasteride shortly after and my hair stopped shedding and has recovered but my hairline and temples did not. I had to get a transplant to recover what was lost.
Its strange how everything work differently person-to-person. Saw Palmetto gave me a disastrous shed and made my scalp extremely oily, and dutasteride worked exactly the opposite. But you have to accept some % will encounter sides.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
SHEDDERS can learn something from Laceys experience, the "initial Telogen Effluvium" can be a serious sign of bad response to Fina, its not a normal response despite what too many ppl here want us to believe, i dont like the claim "i had shedding and it stopped" as the advice shedders get, the same people who advocate continuation of Fina are failing to provide proof of good results after the shedding stopped. Bad responders should not wait too long before looking into alternatives such as Duta that obviously helped Lacey after failing on fina, a million times more reliable than unconfirmed rumours of a japanese guy who shed and supposedly had good recovery 2 years later on Fina.

Initial Telogen Effluvium is not required nor desirable, dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

Last edited:

growssj3

Established Member
Reaction score
The picture with red is before i ever started any treatments. now i have thinning on, behind and throughout my scalp. hairline got 10x worse. but im out of options as a male. cant go the spironolactone route or anything. ive also tried seti, minoxidil, etc.. i truly do not believe hairlines can be saved by finasteride or dutasteride. MAKE SURE YOU GET BLOOD WORK BEFORE STARTING so if what happened to me happens to you, you will know why

Man your hair are still excellent would kill for them :)
I am afraid of taking dutasteride, have shedding and losing ground with finasteride since 11 month. What dose you take?

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Man your hair are still excellent would kill for them :)
I am afraid of taking dutasteride, have shedding and losing ground with finasteride since 11 month. What dose you take?

I take .5 mg currently, but in 2 months im out of my script. i have dutasteride powder though so im going to dig into it and start 2.5mg and hope for the best. my hair is pretty beat now, but im thinking of getting a transplant with rahal soon to be happy again.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow that is really bad. I had great hair when I started Finasteride and only took it to prevent any loss. However several months after starting I started noticing my hair density thinning and lots of hair in the drain. I figured it was Telogen Effluvium from initially starting but it just kept getting worse until I got off it 2 and a half years later. I started Dutasteride shortly after and my hair stopped shedding and has recovered but my hairline and temples did not. I had to get a transplant to recover what was lost.

Did you experience pain with the shedding though? when i started my shed, i had SEVERE pain on the left side of my head that lasted about 8 or 9 months. no i get random throbbing in that area every once and a while that sucks. one Doctor thought i mught have had shingles and now i am experiencing post herpetic neuralgia. who knows.

Ruby

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Testimony like this makes me feel much better about switching from finasteride to dutasteride. I have not experience any kind of shed yet since starting my epic battle against my hairloss. I was rather thinning to begin with, but have noticed significant reduction of hairs in my hands while shampooing lately. I also started using Estrogel and Retin-A on my scalp a few days ago, and my hair now just feels more solidly attached and healthy... like it's coming alive again. The extra estrogen going into my bloodstream is having other effects though... for all you cisgender men who are worried about gyno, this should be a warning about using something like Estrogel with it's higher amount of estradiol that's designed to go systemic... my little hormone-developing breasts are on fire, and starting to become obvious, So Estrogel at full strength is probably not something you want... but if you do want boobs, this stuff is magic.

greg711711

Reaction score
I switched from finasteride to dutasteride almost 2 years ago. I cant say it really improved anything. I was still slowly losing on finasteride, so my doctor let me switch to a genuine prescription of avodart .5 mg daily. The loss continued, but more noticeably in the frontal portion of my scalp. I've seen many threads that say "dutasteride destroyed my hairline" and while it definitely made me lose more frontal hair, I don't necessarily buy into that whole phenomenon. Oh and if you are switching, take finasteride and dutasteride at the same time for at least 3-6 months before stopping finasteride. I just did a switch from one to the other and my hair went into shock and shed terribly

cyrusthegreat@hotmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
I switched from finasteride to dutasteride almost 2 years ago. I cant say it really improved anything. I was still slowly losing on finasteride, so my doctor let me switch to a genuine prescription of avodart .5 mg daily. The loss continued, but more noticeably in the frontal portion of my scalp. I've seen many threads that say "dutasteride destroyed my hairline" and while it definitely made me lose more frontal hair..

Hi Greg.

Did your frontal hair loss, which you attribute to dutasteride if I'm understanding you correctly, ever recover? did you continue to lose as before after switching to dutasteride, or did you experience increased loss in the front?

Thx.