Success from finasteride alone

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Who here has achieved considerable regrowth without the aid of minoxidil. If you have, could you please post some before and after pictures? I want to see these for motivation.

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
I asked a similar question a few days ago under "I'm losing faith". The general opinion is that if you get regrowth on finasteride alone, it's unlikely to be cosmetically significant. This appears to be the case even if you are young and you've caught it early...I'd love to be proven wrong but I haven't see any pics to suggest otherwise. And, sure, people have had success, but I think it's a whole lot rarer than people expect.

I have a feeling I'll be on rogaine soon...damn!!!

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Really? That's interesting, because you'd think that hairs would grow thicker because they're in a lower DHT environment.

Still, I leave the question open. If anybody has had noticeable regrowth, please share your experiences.

Only person I know who claims to have good regrowth, is bubka. And I'm not doubting him, but I haven't seen any pictures, so I don't have anything to compare it to. It may not have been bad thinning to begin with.

Bubka, was your thinning as little as Jayman's thinning? Because I don't think that is bad at all.

G

Skaff said:

Same here. Every day when I look in the mirror I am losing more faith. Looks like minoxidil is my last realistic hope.....
:cry:

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Established Member
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
Skaff said:

Same here. Every day when I look in the mirror I am losing more faith. Looks like minoxidil is my last realistic hope.....
i have decided to drop oral spironolactone at the end of this year and give a hand to 5% minoxidil from next month.How about your shedding period taug? Currently i am going through superficial shedding.

G

bald is beautiful said:
Taugenichts said:
Skaff said:

i have decided to drop oral spironolactone at the end of this year and give a hand to 5% minoxidil from next month.How about your shedding period taug? Currently i am going through superficial shedding.

I am still shedding though not as much as I used to. I don´t think it is a finasteride shed just normal male pattern baldness shedding. I am hoping to see a visible improvement soon. I have lost so much for the last 2 years..... :cry: Really makes me cry!

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Established Member
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
bald is beautiful said:
Taugenichts said:
Skaff said:

I am still shedding though not as much as I used to. I don´t think it is a finasteride shed just normal male pattern baldness shedding. I am hoping to see a visible improvement soon. I have lost so much for the last 2 years..... :cry: Really makes me cry!
why not give a hand to dutta 3x a week? I am hopping to add dutta in my regime once i get all the info from dutasteride cheerleader.

G

I have though about dutasteride as well, but I am still scared about these dutasteride shedding stories. I know that most don´t sound too reliable but it is risky nevertheless. I would kill myself if I lost my frontal hairline due to an agressive dutasteride shed :boom:

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Established Member
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
I have though about dutasteride as well, but I am still scared about these dutasteride shedding stories. I know that most don´t sound too reliable but it is risky nevertheless. I would kill myself if I lost my frontal hairline due to an agressive dutasteride shed :boom:
ya i heard timi crying how dutta ruined his hair in ten months.Thats why i asked jayman for the studies.

Pondle

Reaction score
Bryan posted these study results a while back...

all hair-counts are standardized to the familiar 1-inch circular test spot on the scalp. Ok...all set? Here we go:

(The Glaxo trial of finasteride and dutasteride)

Finasteride... +72 hairs, six months (12.0 hairs/month)
Dutasteride... +108 hairs, six months (18.0 hairs/month)

(All the following are the topical minoxidil studies)

(1) 2% minoxidil... +425 hairs, 12 months (35.4 hairs/month)
Also: 3% minoxidil... +372 hairs, 12 months (31.0 hairs/month)

(2) 2% minoxidil... +273.4 NONVELLUS hairs, 12 months (22.8 hairs/month)

(3) 2% minoxidil... +101 TERMINAL hairs, 13 months (7.8 terminal hairs/month)

(4) 1% minoxidil... +149 hairs, 6 months (24.8 hairs/month)
Also: 2% minoxidil... +175 hairs, 6 months (29.2 hairs/month)

(5) 2% minoxidil... +233.8 hairs, 12 months (19.5 hairs/month)

(6) 2% minoxidil... +151 hairs, 4 months (37.8 hairs/month)
Also: 2% minoxidil... +324 hairs, 12 months (27 hairs/month)
Also: 3% minoxidil... +166 hairs, 4 months (41.5 hairs/month)
Also: 3% minoxidil... +338 hairs, 12 months (28.2 hairs/month)

Conclusion: finasteride and dutasteride are good for maintenance, but for regrowth, you need minoxidil or one of the other promising topicals.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
So nobody has a case of non-topical use which gave off a good result?

bubka, if you read this, tell me how you went. I've read through your story's post, but I'm still not sure as to the extent of how far you were thinning.

The Dangerman

Established Member
Reaction score
person_123 said:
So nobody has a case of non-topical use which gave off a good result?

Define "good result".....

I don't think it's any secret that finasteride's strength is maintence. However, that's much more difficult to asses as being successful, since it's impossible to say with any certainty how much hair you would have lost had you not been on it.

abcdefg

Reaction score
propecia only saves recently miniturized hairs. It stops or slows the process. It is not a miracle and reverse the fibrosis and scarring that takes place over years.I will be amazed if anything comes out in 50 years besides implanting hair that can regrow hair on completely slick bald areas of major cosmetic significance.

Pondle

Reaction score
I have a book edited by BT Group's futurologist (honestly, they do employ one :lol: ) and he predicts all kinds of wondrous, incredible healthcare developments by mid-century including nanomachines, genetic manipulation etc etc. I'm an optimist; as Dan Quayle once said, "the future will be better tomorrow".

bubka

Reaction score
i was not bald, i had a very large thin area of very fine and less dense hair on the crown, as well as horrible looking miniaturization along the front hairline

check out the success stories, tons of awesome pics of finasteride alone

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
bubka said:
i was not bald, i had a very large thin area of very fine and less dense hair on the crown, as well as horrible looking miniaturization along the front hairline

check out the success stories, tons of awesome pics of finasteride alone

I'm not bald either, but I want to know whether my hair is much worse than yours was, or whether it is around the same. I've looked through your success story, I definately see you have a thick head of hair now, I just wonder what it was like before.

To put it simply, when you shone light directly on it, could you see some scalp through the hair? Or when it was wet, did it look very bad?

bubka

Reaction score
never felt a thing, no sides, except for reduction in secondary sex body hair

plus people cannot believe i am 27, though i think the hair helps, also with staying in shape too

p123, yes, it was very visibly thinning, the typical baby fine light hair you see a lot of blond / light brown hair males get

i did have pictures at one time, though i deleted them. i wish i would have kept them, i could be ritch doing merck ads or a drug rep

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks bubka, you gave me hope. If your hair was that visibly fine, I'm assuming you could see your scalp through the hair too. You got significant regrowth, and I'm hoping I can do the same following your regimen.