Success and Shedding

DragonLord

Reaction score
hi fellow baldies
i never thought i'd be posting here again...that was in december 05..when i tasted success
i'm a 22 year old indian male..and i've been losing hair since i was 18..so i decided to go for generic finasteride 1 mg(cipla) in nov 05..despite reading the horror stories on this forum
i was Norwood 1 maybe at that time
right after i started on finasteride..i experienced a shed..which gradully stopped
and in the month of december and jan..i felt i got a new life..with very little or no hair loss at all
i had regained my lost confidence...
my temples and crown filled in..and overall my hair was looking great
and then....the shedding started again in feb this year..and it hasn't stopped yet :(
that's like 5 months of constant shedding :(
surprisingly..my hair still looks greater than it was before i started finasteride
i have complete faith in finasteride..coz i know it worked for me once..and i'm hoping its gonna work wonders again
but sometimes i get a little bit ahead of myself and panic..
i've been taking finasteride very religiously every morning..i have missed exactly 2 doses ever since i started
i've posted this in the success stories section because i know i have succeeded...i don't look bald anymore...and my hair looks great...but the shedding freaks me out :(
any consoling and comforting answers from the gurus??
i'm waiting
ps.kindly excuse my bad english and gramatical errors
regards
Dragon Lord

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your english seems great to me.

Congrats on the progress.
Any pics of your changes..??

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
DragonLord said:
ps.kindly excuse my bad english and gramatical errors
regards
Man, you have nothing to worry about. Indians like yourself are better at english than a lot of people here whose first language is english. I think the spelling bee's are enough evidence of that :)

DragonLord

Reaction score
thank u hairhaircomeagain and kalbo :)
well here r the pics to show my progress
the temples have definitely filled up...unfortunately i don't have a pic of the crown..but that has filled up too
THEN
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/8797/left0we.jpg
NOW
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/1839/left4su.jpg
its for u to see and comment :)
like i said..i'm really happy with the progress so far..all i wanna do now is maintain..but that seems like a far sighted challenge with this never ending shed :(
helpppp me

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
damn, some of these pics i see i WISH i had as much hair. ur hair looks great in both pics mate.

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
I would only start worrying if you notice your hair getting thinner. Shedding seems to have little to do with thinning however, according to many other's reports of using finasteride.

Actually, your results are inspiring, you were right to post this in Success Stories.

As you can see from my avatar, my own hair looks much like yours used to. Maybe I'll give finasteride a try after all!

DragonLord

Reaction score
thank u my friends for your encouraging replies
the problem here is..finasteride has worked wonders..but the shedding just doesn't stop
could somebody put some light on my situation?
the shedding started in feb this year and its still going strong
is this normal?
there is no thinning whatsoever
regards

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Looks great...

yeah..if your hair is looking the same...shedding should not matter...plus you have a whole lot of hair..so you may shed a little more...

That said..keep taking pictures...every month..in case things are degrading..you should catch them...but if they look the same or better..just concentrate on getting some nice Indian chicks :p

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
man, i wish i had these hair "problems". :roll:

some of you people really upset the diffuse thinners with your oodles of hair....id take a Norwood 2.5 and thickness any day....

the_swami

Established Member
Reaction score
Great results DragonLord! You accomplished pretty much exactly what I'm trying to do (fill in the temples). Inspiring!

What part of India are you from. I went to India a few years ago but was only in north India. North India is pretty sad -- so much poverty and such. I hope to see South India next time (Goa and Kerala).

Anyways, nice results... don't worry about the shedding. Worrying will only make it worse (stress hormones, etc).

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
btp11 said:
man, i wish i had these hair "problems". :roll:

some of you people really upset the diffuse thinners with your oodles of hair....id take a Norwood 2.5 and thickness any day....

ino!!!!

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
Dragonlord, my understanding of the science is as follows:

The thickness you experienced initially would have been from new Finasteride-induced hairs, which would have been about 1 inch long or less at the time you first noticed improved thickness and coverage.

Currently, you are shedding hairs that you already had on your head prior to beginning Finasteride. This is because finasteride typically needs to displace existing hairs to make room for thicker hairs.

The new hair that finasteride has pushed into anagen phase will be of top quality. The old hair that finasteride is pushing into telogen is thinner and needs to go. This is good.

Some people experience noticeable thinning during this phase due to the telogen (dormant) cycle of the hair (which can be a few months). However finasteride will often interrupt a typical telogen phase, pushing new and stronger hairs up very quickly. It varies from person to person.

Things should normalise as your hairs throughout your scalp are replaced with stronger hairs.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
^ at what point in treatment do you beleive this occurs? or that u see thicker hairs coming through etc....

i started finasteride and minoxidil recently.

DragonLord

Reaction score
thanks a lot my friends for your kind answers..i feel a lot better now
i shall stick on to finasteride as long as i can
jambri i just hope the best is yet to come
swami..thank u..India was once a very beautiful place...but the government has let us down...big big big time :( corrupt politicians have ruined the beauty of India
the roads are bad,the infrastructure is all messed up,there is poverty and hunger in every part of India,the taxes r pocketed by the fat mayors,and the list goes onnnn
all that remains are the monuments..like the taj mahal and such..and the rich culture and really kind and hospitable people in some parts of India
Goa is a very good place to visit...and the people are very friendly...the beaches r worth a mention...the other parts of the south are worse than the north...so don't bother
regards
Dragon Lord
(sorry i know this msg was off topic..my sincere apologies)