Succes with DIY Butylene Glycol topical

moksel

Reaction score
Hi,

Past year I've been getting a burning sensation from my PPG-free minoxidil (also from PPG minoxidil by the way). With the burning also comes the hair loss, I used to mainly see it from the amount of hair in my comb, but it started to show as I was visibly thinnig on my crown and my temples. When I wasn't applying minoxidil the burn went to an itch and the hair loss stayed so I decided to make my own topical using butylene glycol.

I've been tweaking a bit and currently use the following composition for about 2.3 month.

Vehicle:
Percentage alcohol 60.00%
Percentage BG 20.00% (Butylene Glycol)
Perentage water 20.00%

Ingredients
Percentage minoxidil 5.000%
Percentage AzAc 5.000% (Azelaic Acid)
Percentage Tretionin 0.01%
Percentage melatonin 0.03%
Percentage peppermint oil 0.20%

I've found the pepperment to have been a very valuable addition regarding easing my scalp. From the pictures below you can see that the texture of the hair is improving as well, turning the clock back a few years and my temple is filling in. Overal thickening as well. I don't know whether this topical is enough when you're severly balding but for the slow but steadilly thinning this might be worth looking into.

SideOfHead-Nov_zpsdtyof1ix.jpg

TopOfHead-Nov_zpskinhlatv.jpg

# UPDATED 2015-Dec-2: Pictures weren't showing

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
You make it yourself? Where do you buy all the ingredients?

moksel

Reaction score
The BG is from Lotioncrafter, the alcohol is from the Dutch Webshop but can be bought anywhere I guess.

The peppermint I bought through iHerb (Cococare, 100% Natural Peppermint Oil, 1 fl oz (30 ml)'

Melatonin is from from nootropic webshop, can't remember which one right now since I had that lying around for 2 years. The minoxidil, Azelaic acid and tretoinin I bought from a reseller on Alibaba. I'll give you the name and contact info in a PM.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
The bottom pics aren't different at all, you have thick hair. Do you notice the temple filling in more every week?

moksel

Reaction score
Funny you should say that Capone as I would say that along the centerline where I split the hair and especially in the front there is quite an increase in density. But I guess it doesn't show as dramatic since its not like it was completely bald before.

As far as noticing it, well its not a real weekly thing. I did notice quite dramatically the amount of hair I have in my comb. During the inflammation age this would be 30+ hairs in my comb during a single morning minoxidil session. Now it will be two or three hairs in my comb. So that puts the mind at ease, and then after a month or so I would notice vellus hair sprouting along the hair line and in between my scalp hair. This vellus hair somehow appears to give the hair some more volume and this seems to be steadily increasing but not really noticing it on a day to day basis, its more a feeling of having better hair days. The first time I really noticed it was when putting the pictures together and saw the temple has been really filling in.