• Total voters

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
Quiznos........ they got the singing rat mascots

[youtube:18nx0ocf]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdKEn03OMnE[/youtube:18nx0ocf]

Petchsky

Reaction score
Don't get Quiznos in the uk, loads of subways though, especially over the last 5 years, to many processed meats for me, if quiznos used better/fresher ingredients then they would be better

Cassin

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Don't get Quiznos in the uk, loads of subways though, especially over the last 5 years, to many processed meats for me, if quiznos used better/fresher ingredients then they would be better

Absolutely...same with Subway...they used cheap garbage and I always feel like I am eating something synthetic. I'm pretty big into fresh food so I tend to go to the grocery store 3 times a week which is a pain in the arse but its worth it.

I just made three fish tacos for an early dinner...

- 2 pieces of fresh Talapia
- 3 fresh tortillas made this morning
- Provolone cheese
- avocado
- fresh Pico De Gallo friend on the skillet for about 30 seconds (black bean, onion, jalapeno, tomato and corn mix)

Darn good eaten

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
you make your own tortillas Cassin? ...i'm impressed.

your pico de gallo sounds good, heres another home made salsa you might enjoy with tacos or whatever...

-tomatoes
- onion
-cilantro (optional)
-chipotles (canned)

put as much as you like of the above ingredients in the blender with a bit of water..(sometimes i dont use any as i like it thick)

blend lightly........(not too much,, so the consistency of the salsa is a bit thick and chunky)

salt as u like.

* canned chipotles are hot so u might only need a couple of them for 3 tomatoes you use)

put the salsa in a topperware in the fridge and it'll last you a while.

enjoy.

cleverusername

Established Member
Reaction score
i always get sick after eating subway so rarely go there. never been to quiznos but blimpie is pretty decent. local delis are the best option although way too expensive in manhattan.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Damn, i'm feeling hungry reading this thread. Fish tacos, new one on me, but i want one now! :hmmm:

Cassin

Reaction score
patagonia said:
you make your own tortillas Cassin? ...i'm impressed..

I can make tortillas but not very well...I typically pick mine up at a local grocery store that specializes in fresh pre-made food that's mainly organic. I can get a 6 inch stack of mouth watering tortillas for $3.

Sadly they are only goof for about 3 days so I end up tossing half of it but oh well.

Petchsky said:
Fish tacos, new one on me, but i want one now! :hmmm:

Dude they are so good....in the typical Texas Tex Mex diet people either use tilapia or Catfish. I hate catfish so tilapia is a godsend to me. I cook it at least 3 times a week.

tilapia is doesn't taste 'fishy', it holds seasoning wonderfully and seems to be born for Tex Mex flavoring...

These aren't what mine look like since I also use black beans and corn but you get the idea...

fish%20taco.jpg

cleverusername

Established Member
Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Damn, i'm feeling hungry reading this thread. Fish tacos, new one on me, but i want one now! :hmmm:

It's a southern californian thing. When I went to San Diego to visit my family my cousin was raving about them. They're alright but I'll stick with pollo or carne.

Cassin

Reaction score
cleverusername said:
Petchsky said:

It's a southern californian thing. When I went to San Diego to visit my family my cousin was raving about them. They're alright but I'll stick with pollo or carne.

*coughs*

Its a Texas thing and has been for a long time..California is so trendy that their "things" come and go with the wind.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
cleverusername said:
Petchsky said:

*coughs*

Its a Texas thing and has been for a long time..California is so trendy that their "things" come and go with the wind.

Cassin

Reaction score
patagonia said:
*coughs x2*

Fish tacos are from MEXICO.

You know what....now that I think about...who the hell knows where it started but I was talking about in the US.

patagonia said:
(Cassin, you can put batches of tortillas in ziplock bags and put em in the freezer. theyll last fresh a long time like this. then just leave in the fridge the batch your using.)

Yeah but they don't have that awesome fresh taste as the ones I get down the street.

Cassin

Reaction score
dudemon said:
Yep, I think most Mexican food is from Mexico - or maybe all of it is!
"Dude, no way!"
... "Way!"

The basic concept may be Mexican but the "Mexican food" you see in restaurants isn't very close to what you see in Mexico. Its pretty hard to find an authentic Mexican restaurant outside of Southern Texas & Southern California. Its all Americanized like Italian....Don't you agree, patagonia?

El Chico...On the Boarder and Taco Bueno is crap. If they don't serve Capirotada & Pork Chile it aint real restaurant :devil: ...the Mexican makes damn good food altho its too much pork IMO.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I must admit, the Mexicans really know how to do a damn fine job of cooking a pig! I can't think of ANY pork recipe from any international cuisine that tops the savory goodness of a dish of slow-braised carnitas.

Cassin

Reaction score
dudemon said:
But the whole southwest region was originally settled by Mexican, Spaniards, and Indians of different tribes. One could say the food is a mixture of many cultures, although Mexico no doubt has a major influence into the southwest cuisine. Then, like you say Cassin, there is "authentic" Mexican which is indigenous to parts of Texas. Texas was part of Mexico, I believe, about 200 years ago - as well as California, Arizona, New Mexico, and parts of other states.

Oh absolutely! I'm just saying the big chain "Mexican" restaurants are rarely close to anything authentic and its hard to find a really good true Mexican restaurant. The big chain restaurants use too much cheese, sauce, chicken and steak along with over deep frying just like Italian restaurants don't have enough fish on the menu.

I'm just such a big fan of Tex Mex so I'm ultra picky...Its without a doubt my favorite food to cook. Its so versatile and can be anything from light to as unhealthy as you want. If you take the time and care it can be a very light and extremely delicious food so there is no need to deep fry the hell out of everything and smother the food in fatty sauce like most restaurants do.

Cassin

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
I must admit, the Mexicans really know how to do a damn fine job of cooking a pig! I can't think of ANY pork recipe from any international cuisine that tops the savory goodness of a dish of slow-braised carnitas.

No doubt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and sorry to derail your thread The Gardener....I'll split it off into a new topic if you would like.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Nah, no need to split threads.....!

Anyways... back to the sandwich issue. Of course local mom and pop delis are the best... frankly, the local grocery store has a bitchen deli that makes a mean sandwich with the Boars Head good stuff.

But as for the Subway versus Quiznos debate, I'm more of a Subway man. Now, this just may be an issue of my local Quiznos, but when they are doling out the meat, they literally are taking their tongs and measuring out what seems to be carefully weighed wafers of that thin-sliced meat they use. It just seems like they skimp on the meat, and try to make it up with lots of "sauce". Whenever I eat there, it seems like the sandwich isn't "meaty" enough for me unless I order double meat. I like the thicker sliced Subway meat, its more satisfying to chew into than the ethereal mound of waferish turkey that is on offer at the Quiz.

Cassin

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
the local grocery store has a bitchen deli that makes a mean sandwich with the Boars Head good stuff.

Good.Lord.I.Love.Boars.Head

I spent $60 yesterday on Boars Head lunch meat, hotdogs, cheese, cajun mayo and bacon. Worth every penny.

I put a pile of meat in the toaster oven with either pico or onions on top...toast for 5 minutes then I put a slice of cheese on top. Nice low carb lunch.

One thing subway has over quizno's is the awesome bread. Quizno's used to have the better bread but it all tastes so stale now. Other than that everything subway just tastes like cheap generic over processed food.