Sublingual oral minoxidil: bioavailability and haemodynamic side effects

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
ok I tried to understand better what happens, orally vs GI. this is what I could find:

"When a chemical comes in contact with the mucous membrane beneath the tongue, it is absorbed. Because the connective tissue beneath the epithelium contains a profusion of capillaries, the substance then diffuses into them and enters the venous circulation.[1] In contrast, substances absorbed in the intestines are subject to first-pass metabolism in the liver before entering the general circulation.

Sublingual administration has certain advantages over oral administration. Being more direct, it is often faster,[quantify] and it ensures that the substance will risk degradation only by salivary enzymes before entering the bloodstream, whereas orally administered drugs must survive passage through the hostile environment of the gastrointestinal tract, which risks degrading them, by either stomach acid or bile, or by enzymes such as monoamine oxidase (MAO). Furthermore, after absorption from the gastrointestinal tract, such drugs must pass to the liver, where they may be extensively altered; this is known as the first pass effect of drug metabolism. Due to the digestive activity of the stomach and intestines, the oral route is unsuitable for certain substances, such as salvinorin A."

so generally speaking, it seems there's a real difference between the two routes after all. whether this applies to minoxidil as well has not been proven yet. furthermore, until there's a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial on oral minoxidil vs GI all we have is anecdotal evidence so at the moment it's everyone's guess imo.

maybe, just maybe, if you're already taking like 5 mg's per day, one could try taking 2.5 mg sublingually in the morning and 2.5 mg orally in the evening and provide us with some feedback. I'm especially interested in bloodpressure (so, measured, not subjective description etc). I'm not a doctor, so this is not medical advice.

I would also STRONGLY advice against taking more of this drug if taken sublingually because of the hypothesis that this route has less sides. Minoxidil is a potentially dangerous drug so do not experiment with it. Stick with the dosages which have been proven to be safe. I'm not a doctor, but this is my advice anyway.
So that's why I can't get high on Salvia! I have been using it buccally. Just kidding. Once cannabis became legally or semi-legally available, I forgot all about Salvia, which is a bad substitute for weed and mushrooms and even morning glories from what I have read.

What you say above parallels the ingestion of estradiol in general. There tend to be differences much more in rapidity and peak levels by sucking on estradiol pills (buccal, SL usage) but in terms of "results", studies are unable currently to measure any differences in "results" related to ingestion method. Sulfurotransferase continues to be the main issue in terms of what appears to make minoxidil effective for the large plurality if not majority for whom topical minoxidil produces lackluster results in terms of regrowth.

vondoom

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I prefer to be hairy af and have hair than no hair at all
honestly, way to go... i got some excess hair, especially noticeable because i dont have much body hair to begin with... pluck it, shave it off, whatever... as long as it saves my head, im fine with nearly everything...

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
well good luck then, ... plucking hair everywhere , i mean really everywhere( near the nose, cheek, ear, forehead, etc) looking like a freak show

vondoom

My Regimen
Reaction score
well good luck then, ... plucking hair everywhere , i mean really everywhere( near the nose, cheek, ear, forehead, etc) looking like a freak show
yeah me too... not really everywhere, but i used to pluck eyebrows anyway, shave my arms anyway and so on, cheeks get shaven every day anyway, too... it is just more now and in a few different places, too... like also forehead for example...

on 10mg for a few weeks now, hope that it works better than 5 (so far no real difference, just a bit better)...

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
if it was just the " traditional" area ( arm / leg, etc ) that would be great but this is literraly every mm of my body and face

Grim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
like the wolfman dude that has been here a while ago?
Haha me. Yea the hair growth is mostly limited to my facial areas. Not much body hair growth, it could be because I don't have a ton of body hair.

vondoom

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha me. Yea the hair growth is mostly limited to my facial areas. Not much body hair growth, it could be because I don't have a ton of body hair.
as long as the hair on top of the head is getting better^^

i just got a little growth on body hair, but i also never had
much to begin with... its most noticeable around the eyes and on the arms now, but nothing i cant manage...
hope that i get enough regrowth on the crown, that somehow went thin the past three years despite being on finasteride/dutasteride/min, even dermarolling for about a year...

Grim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
as long as the hair on top of the head is getting better^^

i just got a little growth on body hair, but i also never had
much to begin with... its most noticeable around the eyes and on the arms now, but nothing i cant manage...
hope that i get enough regrowth on the crown, that somehow went thin the past three years despite being on finasteride/dutasteride/min, even dermarolling for about a year...
I made a post in the general discussion area about how my beard grew a crap ton, if you wanted beard growth.

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
this is great! i

If there is anything relevant soon, in terms if hair or hypertrichosis, I'll update for sure.
Reviving an old thread. How much hypertrichosis are you getting and where? I have been drinking 5% topical for almost three months, with moderate increase in body hair all over, particularly on the hands, forearms, stomach and legs. I am switching to sublingual to see if that increases the responsiveness. I am using Minoxidil only for the body hair. My head hair is fine.
I would appreciate anyone else's experience with using Minoxidil this way and how it has impacted body hair growth.

vondoom

My Regimen
Reaction score
does anybodies hair actually grow from minoxidil? like in length? i get regrowth, but it doesnt seem to grow longer than 15mm...

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any sides from sublingual
And just to remind you: I am drinking the 5% topical. I consume 5-10 drops diluted in water twice a day. I have occasionally put the drops directly under my tongue to see of the sublingual result are different/better. I have not done this consistently enough to know whether it's been more effective than ingesting or not. I can say that it seems to pack a bigger punch: 5-10 drops under the tongue will cause lower leg edema and usually a headache and worse under eye bags. I have just mainly stuck to the dilution/drinking method because it's easier and tastes better. I use the dilution to wash down the 3,000 mg of MSM and Vitamin C I take at the same time.