Study showing Finpecia effective in Frontal Hair loss

Britannia

Reaction score
Ive been looking around for some studies into the effectiveness of 1mg Finasteride (i.e. Propecia or Finpecia) on frontal hair loss. As most of you will know, the Propecia trials did not focus on this area of hair loss.
Follow the link below and look at slide 7. This was an independant study of Finpecia's effectiveness on frontal hair loss. It was a relatively small study of just over 300 subjects.
http://www.cipladoc.com/slides/finpecia ... /frame.htm

The whole slideshow has great information, but I think the study on frontal hair loss needs looking at, as it is a subject under much debate on this forum.

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice find.

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
the information on there is a bit too vague.

they can put more info on there, ie, haircount increase n etc.....

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys have never heard of that trial before?? :freaked: I've only cited it and discussed it a bunch of times on various hairloss sites over the years! BTW, the citation they gave in that slide is apparently just a very brief preliminary report. The FULL study, with all the details, haircounts, etc., is this one: "Finasteride in the Treatment of Men with Frontal Male Pattern Hair Loss", Leydon et al, J Am Acad Dermatol 1999;40: 930-7.

Here's the haircount data: starting baseline count was 211 in the finasteride group, and 219 in the placebo group (in a 1 square centimeter circular area). After the first year, mean hair count increased by 9.6 hairs in the finasteride group, and decreased by 2.0 hairs in the placebo group. They don't provide the actual numerical data for the 2-year hair counts, but you can tell by looking at the graph they provide that it increased again slightly from the 1-year to the 2-year point.

Bryan

Britannia

Reaction score
Sorry HairLossTalk.com guess that was a bit lazy of me. Bryan I have known about studies showing Finasterides effect on frontal hair loss for a while, but I thought that slide show would be great for some of the newbies getting badgered by the anti-propecia police.