Study Providing Evidence That 5 Alpha Reductase Type 1 Plays A Role In Hair Loss Too

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I came across this new study which found that 5 alpha reductase type 1 may play an important role in hair loss too, rather than it just being 5 alpha reductase type 2 that is involved. The superiority of dutasteride over finasteride as a hair loss treatment is likely due to both its more complete inhibition of the type 2 enzyme as well as its additional partial inhibition of the type 1 enzyme.

For your interest, finasteride taken at 1mg a day removes 85-90% of the DHT from the type 2 enzyme, and none of the DHT from the type 1 enzyme. Dutasteride taken at 0.5mg a day removes 98-99% of the DHT from the type 2 enzyme and about half of the DHT from the type 1 enzyme.

Here is the link to the full-text study:

Change in Hair Growth-related Gene Expression Profile in Human Isolated Hair Follicles Induced by 5-alpha Reductase Inhibitors, Dutasteride and Finasteride, in the Presence of Testosterone:

https://www.longdom.org/open-access...licles-induced-by-5alpha-reductase-inhibi.pdf

And I've pasted the abstract below:

Abstract:

Objective:
5-α reductase (5AR) subtypes I and II are suggested to be involved in the development of androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia); however, the involvement of type I 5AR in the pathogenesis of Androgenetic Alopecia and downstream molecular events following androgen receptor inhibition are still poorly understood. We investigated the changes in gene expression levels of growth factors and related molecules responsible for hair growth, such as enzymes and transcription factors, using the bulbar portions of plucked human hair follicles, and evaluated the involvement of type I 5AR in human hair growth.

Methods:
Anagen hairs were plucked from male donors with Androgenetic Alopecia and cultured in medium containing dihydrotestosterone (DHT) or testosterone in the presence or absence of the 5AR inhibitors, dutasteride or finasteride. Total RNA extracted from the bulbar portions of hair follicles was subjected to quantitative reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction analysis to assess gene expression levels of growth factors and other related molecules.

Results:
DHT stimulation resulted in a trend to decrease the expression of genes encoding fibroblast growth factor 7 (FGF7; p=0.52), insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1; p=0.85) and WNT family member 5A (WNT5a; p=0.08). Subsequently, testosterone stimulation led to decreased expression of genes encoding FGF7 (p=0.53), IGF1 (p=0.93) and WNT5a (p=0.51), which was reversed by dutasteride or finasteride treatment.

Conclusion:
Among the assessed growth factors and other molecules related to hair growth, the expression levels of FGF7, IGF1 and WNT5a were reversed by 5AR inhibitors under testosterone stimulation. Our data suggest this assay may be useful to deeper dissect the effect of 5AR on human hair follicles and supports the previously unreported involvement of type I 5AR in hair growth.

Last edited:

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MK-386 didn't do a thing on monkey model of baldness, which I'm going to trust more than another shitty-*** cell study.
I don't deny the fact that 5ar type 2 plays a much biggest role in hair loss, as can be evidenced by the effectiveness of finasteride, a selective 5ar type 2 inhibitor. There is evidence that 5ar type 1 may play a smaller role too though. A study was done that found that both types of 5ar are functionally active in the hair follicles. So if type 1 is functionally active in the hair follicles, it is likely it is involved in hair loss to some extent. Additionally, 2.5mg of dutasteride was found in trials to grow more hair than 0.5mg of dutasteride. These two dosing schemes result in essentially the exact same amount of 5ar type 2 inhibition, but 2.5mg of dutasteride inhibits much more of 5ar type 1 than does 0.5mg. So it is a reasonable assumption to make that the greater 5ar type 1 inhibition is what caused 2.5mg to grow more hair than 0.5mg. The late Bryan Shelton who was an extremely knowledgeable and respected member of these forums was also of the opinion that 5ar type 1 does play a role in hair loss, albeit a smaller role than 5ar type 2. He used to mention this in some of his posts.

Last edited:

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This explains why zix works since that mostly inhibits type 1 if I recall correctly.
I don't know very much about zix or have any experience of it, so I can't comment on its effectiveness. If it inhibits type 1, in theory it should help to combat hair loss, but it would also need to very potently inhibit type 2 in order to be highly effective in the way that finasteride and dutasteride are.

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I must be missing something, none of those p values are significant. Study literally shows nothing...